• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

TekDiveGirl in Recovery

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:47 PM

HOW TO HELP...

Hey gang...if you like to help Kimber financially during this time here are the details. While she has medical insurance, as the sole provider for her two children, it will not cover her monthly obligations and here is where we can help:

To make a contribution either in name or anonymously
please send contributions to:

Kimberly Thurman Recovery Assistance Fund
c/o Pat Hawkins
1675 San Elijo Ave
Cardiff, CA 92007
United States

If you have a Washington Mutual branch near you, the
Account # is: 3121460715

You can also send contributions via PAY-PAL:

Use patahawkins@aol.com as the payment address and it will go directly to Kimber's mom. You can also send any well wishes to the address above for Kimber when she is able to read them.

Thank you all for your help and support of one of our dear members! kamala

p.s. as updates on her condition are available we'll post them in this first post and in the thread for you.

Message from family friend Joel Silverstein:

June 6, 2006

Kimber’s family understands that you all are her friends and would like some information, to that end I have been given permission by them to make this single statement.

On Saturday June 3rd 2006 Kimberly Thurman was on our dive charter off the dive boat Lois Ann to the wreck of the Hogan. After her second dive she surfaced, made her way on to the dive platform and informed the crew she was not feeling well.

The crew of the Lois Ann got her onto the deck and began immediate first aid treatment. We then got the boat secured and underway while calling in for assistance from the USCG and other local agencies. She was transferred to primary care within an hour or so of the incident and then taken to a hospital for evaluation, medical care and treatment.

She is still in the hospital and being well cared for. Her family which includes her mother, aunt, and her boyfriend are maintaining constant contact with her care givers, nurses, and physicians.

Kimber suffered a medical emergency while on a dive boat and was evacuated; this is not a dive accident that needs to be analyzed at this time. It is out of respect for her medical privacy that the family does not wish to discuss her condition. Her mother and boyfriend have asked that you keep the chatter on this to a minimum and focus your energies on having good thoughts for her speedy recovery. The community support as demonstrated by the wishes on this board is something simply incredible.

It's natural for all of us who are her friends to want as much information as possible, immediately. However, Kimber's family would appreciate some privacy during this difficult time. They ask that no flowers or gifts be sent to her and that no visitors are to come by. If there is more information that is needed to be released they will do it in due time.

In the meantime, I am focused on helping to properly handle the tremendous amount of administrative effort that follows any evacuation, in order to preserve the critical data.

Thank you for all your support and prayers for her speedy recovery.

Respectfully submitted

Joel Silverstein

post script:

When ever there is an accident or an incident that results in care or evacuation off a dive vessel there are many documents that need to be completed by all the people that were on board, provided care, and helped in any way. These reports are all for Coast Guard, Police, Hospital, Insurance companies, etc. There are certain privacy laws that come in to play that sometimes restrict the information that can be released by parties who were involved. It is common practice that an overall silence be placed on crews and participants while all of this is going on until such time as any particular release is authorized by the patient/victim or their family. While this may not be what is wanted by the “community” this just happens to be the way it is.

I’ve been in the professional end of diving for going on 18 years now. I have seen and been involved in the management of diving accidents and incidents on more than one occasion, I ran an emergency hyperbaric facility in NY for 3 years, I work as an expert witness and consultant evaluating diving accidents and incidents and have a good handle on what goes on here. Suffice to say that Kimber’s first aid, evacuation and transfer to higher medical care was as swift and professional as I have ever been involved in. She is being cared for in the most appropriate place at this time.

I will ask you to respect the wishes of her family, and to appreciate that since this was my charter I am restricted by confidentiality in discussing any particulars. Please find a place in your heart to pray for Kimber’s speedy recovery.

Thank you for your concern.

Joel Silverstein

June 11, 2006

Sunday morning update from family...

"Kimber has opened her eyes... She has had some movement and has even cracked a smile. She has shown signs of response, although it's not a definite signal of recovery.

Every single step no matter how small is a positive sign Keep praying."

I have no knowledge of this directly. However, I have seen posts on at least two other sites indicating that Kimber a/k/a TekDiveGirl is in the hospital following a dive to the Hogan, a wreck in about 125 feet of water off of the Southern coast of California/Northwestern Mexico during Memorial Day Weekend. http://thedecostop.c...ead.php?t=19180, http://www.scubaboar...t...mber&page=1.

The posts indicate that the family is asking that everyone keep from attempting to contact her or her family for now, and they further request that people do not publicly speculate as to the cause or relation of her hospitalization.

We wish her well and a speedy recovery.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#2 Terri

Terri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:28 PM

Thanks for keeping us informed, Howard!

Kimber - positive thoughts coming your way...and we hope to see you back posting soon!
'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#3 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:49 PM

I've seen this on other sites too - I pulled her "member" info - to see when she last logged in on SD - and it shows June 3rd - I hope this is correct and I hope she is doing okay!!!!!
Known puker

#4 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 05 June 2006 - 09:01 PM

Get well soon!!!!!!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#5 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 05 June 2006 - 09:10 PM

I've seen this on other sites too - I pulled her "member" info - to see when she last logged in on SD - and it shows June 3rd - I hope this is correct and I hope she is doing okay!!!!!

That would have been early Saturday morning and not an indication of her current condition. I hope she's OK too.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#6 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 05 June 2006 - 10:54 PM

Best wishes and a speedy recovery...

#7 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:02 PM

Best wishes for a fast AND complete recovery!
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#8 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:11 PM

Best wishes for a fast and speedy recovery!!

None of us like to hear these kinds of things, but when we do, the power of prayer is powerful indeed

#9 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:13 PM

The information posted on the other boards was not supposed to have been made public from what I heard from a mutual dive buddy of Kimber's and mine. However someone decided to let the news out. I had notified WW Sat night or Sunday AM about this.

Now that the news is out, please keep speculation to a minimum and keep Kimber in our thoughts and prayers.

#10 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:20 PM

I wish her the best. She just sent me a friendly PM on Friday wishing me a good weekend so it's surprising to hear that her's didn't go so well. Get back to the board soon.

#11 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 06 June 2006 - 06:49 AM

Hope you're ok Kimber.

#12 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 06 June 2006 - 07:29 AM

My thoughts are with you Kimber.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#13 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:00 AM

As small as the diving community is, it is no surprise that news leaked out, and in some ways, the lack of concrete news is likely to only increase speculation (it's simply human nature to try to fill in the blanks when info is lacking).

However, it is entirely fitting that we do as the family wishes in a trying time like this, and simply wish Kimber the very best and hope for full and speedy recovery.
Back after a long absence - whew, too busy at work!

#14 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Cert Level:diving since high school; rec, tech, cave and wreck, as well as exploration and expedition diving
  • Logged Dives:Thousands... (really!)

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:29 AM

The information posted on the other boards was not supposed to have been made public from what I heard from a mutual dive buddy of Kimber's and mine. However someone decided to let the news out. I had notified WW Sat night or Sunday AM about this.

Now that the news is out, please keep speculation to a minimum and keep Kimber in our thoughts and prayers.

It wouldn' matter what the situation was/is... :welcome: Kimber is now in my prayers, specifically, as would any of my fellow SD'rs or divers be! God bless Kimber with your "overcoming" Spirit!

ITB...
"The most important thing is to never stop breathing"... ITB

Actually, the WORST day of diving is better than the BEST day at work... :)

and... my life is not measured by the number of breaths I take, but by the number of breaths I take UNDER WATER :)

"I see you are no stranger to pain." -- "I was married... TWICE!!!" HOT SHOTS, PART DEUX

#15 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:48 AM

Last night and this morning I read through the 14 pages of posts by members of another board about Kimber's situation. While there was some speculation, and requests for more information (both contrary to the family's wishes at this time), what really struck me was the level of concern and support for one of our "fellow" divers by the rest of the on-line dive community.

The prayers and well wishes being offered are a testament to the kind of people who dive and frequent boards like this.

I know we all want to know what happened. There will be a time for that. At present my understanding is that a lot of questions need to be answered before real answers, rather than speculation, can be offered. It is a very serious situation.

The very best thing we can do is continue to express our love and support for a "fellow" bubble blower. The details will come later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users