• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

TekDiveGirl in Recovery

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#16 TravelBunny

TravelBunny

SD Travel Team

• PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Cert Level:Have been recreational diving in Mexico a handful of times.

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:53 AM

The SD prayers are working for my daughter following surgery yesterday. (Thank you everyone, so much)

They will work now.

In my thoughts and prayers, Kimber - get well soon.

Linda.
SD Travel Services...Let us meet or beat your best deal!

I specialize in ALL non-diving travel and SD's NEW special dive travel packages!

"I look forward to seeing you there and getting you there!" - Linda

Please Contact me directly at TravelBunny@SingleDivers.com or via pm!

Think PINK!.... TAKE THE PINK CHALLENGE!!! Help Kimber aka TekDiveGirl here! Thank You!!!

#17 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Cert Level:diving since high school; rec, tech, cave and wreck, as well as exploration and expedition diving
  • Logged Dives:Thousands... (really!)

Posted 06 June 2006 - 01:14 PM

Last night and this morning I read through the 14 pages of posts by members of another board about Kimber's situation. While there was some speculation, and requests for more information (both contrary to the family's wishes at this time), what really struck me was the level of concern and support for one of our "fellow" divers by the rest of the on-line dive community.

The prayers and well wishes being offered are a testament to the kind of people who dive and frequent boards like this.

I know we all want to know what happened. There will be a time for that. At present my understanding is that a lot of questions need to be answered before real answers, rather than speculation, can be offered. It is a very serious situation.

The very best thing we can do is continue to express our love and support for a "fellow" bubble blower. The details will come later.

Thanks for sharing the gravity of Kimber's status. I will know what this is all about when she is able to share about it... but until then... I'll double up on my prayers...

ITB.... :P :cool1:
"The most important thing is to never stop breathing"... ITB

Actually, the WORST day of diving is better than the BEST day at work... :)

and... my life is not measured by the number of breaths I take, but by the number of breaths I take UNDER WATER :)

"I see you are no stranger to pain." -- "I was married... TWICE!!!" HOT SHOTS, PART DEUX

#18 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 06 June 2006 - 03:34 PM

There has been an informational post on ScubaBoard about Kimber's situation from someone close to the situation. For some reason I have been unable to read it from this computer. You may wish to try yourselves.

#19 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 06 June 2006 - 03:50 PM

The update regarding Kimber was made by JS1Scuba aka Joel, who is a member of both ScubaBoard and our board. I have sent Joel a message via ScubaBoard asking if he would post the update regarding Kimber here or if we could post it with his permission. I know he must be very busy, so I will do my best to facilitate the update of information, as appropriate, regarding Kimber as she is undoubtably in all our thoughts right now.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#20 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 06 June 2006 - 04:28 PM

Kimber, family and friends you are in my thoughts and prayers. Take Care and speedy recovery.
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#21 JS1scuba

JS1scuba

Getting started

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix Instructor Trainer
  • Logged Dives:5,100+

Posted 06 June 2006 - 05:02 PM

June 6, 2006

Kimber’s family understands that you all are her friends and would like some information, to that end I have been given permission by them to make this single statement.

On Saturday June 3rd 2006 Kimberly Thurman was on our dive charter off the dive boat Lois Ann to the wreck of the Hogan. After her second dive she surfaced, made her way on to the dive platform and informed the crew she was not feeling well.

The crew of the Lois Ann got her onto the deck and began immediate first aid treatment. We then got the boat secured and underway while calling in for assistance from the USCG and other local agencies. She was transferred to primary care within an hour or so of the incident and then taken to a hospital for evaluation, medical care and treatment.

She is still in the hospital and being well cared for. Her family which includes her mother, aunt, and her boyfriend are maintaining constant contact with her care givers, nurses, and physicians.

Kimber suffered a medical emergency while on a dive boat and was evacuated; this is not a dive accident that needs to be analyzed at this time. It is out of respect for her medical privacy that the family does not wish to discuss her condition. Her mother and boyfriend have asked that you keep the chatter on this to a minimum and focus your energies on having good thoughts for her speedy recovery. The community support as demonstrated by the wishes on this board is something simply incredible.

It's natural for all of us who are her friends to want as much information as possible, immediately. However, Kimber's family would appreciate some privacy during this difficult time. They ask that no flowers or gifts be sent to her and that no visitors are to come by. If there is more information that is needed to be released they will do it in due time.

In the meantime, I am focused on helping to properly handle the tremendous amount of administrative effort that follows any evacuation, in order to preserve the critical data.

Thank you for all your support and prayers for her speedy recovery.

Respectfully submitted

Joel Silverstein
Joel Silverstein, VP COO
Tech Diving Limited
http://www.techdivinglimited.com

#22 JS1scuba

JS1scuba

Getting started

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix Instructor Trainer
  • Logged Dives:5,100+

Posted 06 June 2006 - 05:03 PM

When ever there is an accident or an incident that results in care or evacuation off a dive vessel there are many documents that need to be completed by all the people that were on board, provided care, and helped in any way. These reports are all for Coast Guard, Police, Hospital, Insurance companies, etc. There are certain privacy laws that come in to play that sometimes restrict the information that can be released by parties who were involved. It is common practice that an overall silence be placed on crews and participants while all of this is going on until such time as any particular release is authorized by the patient/victim or their family. While this may not be what is wanted by the “community” this just happens to be the way it is.

I’ve been in the professional end of diving for going on 18 years now. I have seen and been involved in the management of diving accidents and incidents on more than one occasion, I ran an emergency hyperbaric facility in NY for 3 years, I work as an expert witness and consultant evaluating diving accidents and incidents and have a good handle on what goes on here. Suffice to say that Kimber’s first aid, evacuation and transfer to higher medical care was as swift and professional as I have ever been involved in. She is being cared for in the most appropriate place at this time.

I will ask you to respect the wishes of her family, and to appreciate that since this was my charter I am restricted by confidentiality in discussing any particulars. Please find a place in your heart to pray for Kimber’s speedy recovery.

Thank you for your concern.

Joel Silverstein
Joel Silverstein, VP COO
Tech Diving Limited
http://www.techdivinglimited.com

#23 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,588 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 06 June 2006 - 05:12 PM

Oh My Gosh....this is horrible news. My prayers are with Kimber aka TekDiveGirl as are many of our diving family. It is with great relief that Kimber did not experience a diving accident however she has had some medical issues in the past (haven't we all) that have apparently surfaced again.

Please please please keep us posted as to her progress. And of course if there is ANYTHING that we can do to help!

May I add that Kimber aka TekDiveGirl has been one of our favorite participants and has given of herself and her knowledge freely! We cherish her membership in our community and we are all hurt and dismayed at this turn of events.

EVERYONE please keep her in your thoughts and if you are the praying type...please put her into your continuous prayer process!

-Kamala aka Wreck Wench

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#24 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 06 June 2006 - 05:18 PM

Joel, thank you SOOOOO much for posting. It is appreciated by SD and as many have said here already, SD's thoughts go out to Kimber and her family during this time. My thanks also go to you and all those involved in Kimber's transport and care.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#25 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 05:20 PM

Last night and this morning I read through the 14 pages of posts by members of another board about Kimber's situation. While there was some speculation, and requests for more information (both contrary to the family's wishes at this time), what really struck me was the level of concern and support for one of our "fellow" divers by the rest of the on-line dive community.

On a side note, I would like to say thank you to the SD community for only pouring out well wishes to Kimber, her family, and more instead of speculating about or picking away at the situation. It is impressive to be a part of an online community such as this, one which includes divers such as Kimber.

#26 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 06 June 2006 - 06:29 PM

Just a note to let everyone know that all related threads have been merged in order to provide continuity and one place where we can all express our sentiments. Thanks.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#27 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Cert Level:diving since high school; rec, tech, cave and wreck, as well as exploration and expedition diving
  • Logged Dives:Thousands... (really!)

Posted 06 June 2006 - 07:19 PM

June 6, 2006

Thank you for all your support and prayers for her speedy recovery.

Respectfully submitted

Joel Silverstein

Ah, that Joel!!! I have been a customer of yours and contacted you a couple weeks ago about your Doria trip. I'm glad to know Kimber was in such good care. Thanks for doing your best for her.

ITB...
"The most important thing is to never stop breathing"... ITB

Actually, the WORST day of diving is better than the BEST day at work... :)

and... my life is not measured by the number of breaths I take, but by the number of breaths I take UNDER WATER :)

"I see you are no stranger to pain." -- "I was married... TWICE!!!" HOT SHOTS, PART DEUX

#28 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:28 PM

I am terribly sorry to hear this news. I admire Kimber a great deal, she is smart, beautiful and has a strong spirit. I have no doubt that she will make a full recovery. Positive Karma is on her side. We are all pulling for you Kimber.

#29 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:18 PM

My prayers and thoughts are with her too. I certainly hope she is doing alright and that she checks in as soon as she is well.
-Mitch-

#30 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:06 PM

My thoughts are also with Kimber and her family. Here is to a speedy and full recovery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users