• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

TekDiveGirl in Recovery

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 Terri

Terri

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:56 PM

Go Kimber!!!!
'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#62 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:56 PM

You all are so AWESOME!!!

Anyone else want to take the PINK CHALLENGE????

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#63 BeachBunny

BeachBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:Not enough but I am working on it!

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:07 PM

Consider it done!
"In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different" CoCo Chanel

beachbunny@singledivers.com

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"
Ghandi

#64 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:44 PM

I've gone pink for Kimber! Stay strong girl!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#65 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:56 PM

Go Kimber Go!!!

Go Kimber Go!!!

#66 TravelBunny

TravelBunny

SD Travel Team

• PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Cert Level:Have been recreational diving in Mexico a handful of times.

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:17 AM

$25 on its way....we can do this! Go Kimber!
SD Travel Services...Let us meet or beat your best deal!

I specialize in ALL non-diving travel and SD's NEW special dive travel packages!

"I look forward to seeing you there and getting you there!" - Linda

Please Contact me directly at TravelBunny@SingleDivers.com or via pm!

Think PINK!.... TAKE THE PINK CHALLENGE!!! Help Kimber aka TekDiveGirl here! Thank You!!!

#67 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:49 AM

Donation sent.

Get well Kimber!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#68 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 07 July 2006 - 11:40 AM

UPDATE from tekdivegirl.org

July 7, 2006

Hi again, this is Kimber and I have Sue getting this update out for you. Thank you all for the great support you have been giving me. The THINK PINK stuff that GetBentScuba.com put together just brought a huge smile to my face. Sue and TJ have been reading me some of the posts and I can’t thank you enough. D_B comes by about every other day and keeps me amused, well more I keep him amused trying to do things. Anyway, an update for you.

I’ve been in rehab for about three weeks now. I am in a great facility that has all of the latest equipment and procedures. My days are filled from early morning with personal care, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, and today I started on recreational therapy. Essentially I came in here a only able to talk, and now I can do some things. Each day I do a little bit more. Most days I even have changes and progress in the same day.

My children are staying with my Aunt and they come by almost every day. My daughter gives me great big hugs and my son tries to boss around the staff when they are not being attentive enough to me. I am so proud of how well they have handled all of this. They are real troopers. I can only imagine what was going through their tender minds during the critical days. My mom has been just great. She is taking care of my house and sees me most every day as well. The power of family just seems to be never ending.

As for me, I can walk with a little support, and can stand on my own for short periods of time. I can move my left hand and arm and I'm getting back my fine motor skills. My right arm is still not working well. The swelling in my brain has affected my vision. Things are blurry, I can’t see clearly and there are blind spots. They say that may improve with time. My biggest frustration is the delay. I tell my mind I want to do something and it takes concentration for me to do it. Also when I want to speak I have to take a moment to think about what I want to say and then it comes out. Imagine that, me, having to slow down! When things get hectic, it's really hard to concentrate. I have some pain and I take a load of medicines for all kinds of things and they seem to be helping a bit. This has just not been all that much fun. But I do get to laugh at jokes and the things that people read to me.

A friend of mine asked me the other day “What can’t you do?” I thought about it for a moment and said. “I can do everything, it’s just going to take me a while till I can.” I am working hard, my therapists are working hard, and my dear friends and family are working hard, to help me get better.

I found my I-pod the other day so now I can listen to some music. Sue and TJ have just been the best girlfriends one can ever have. They give to me without hesitation and are there for me every step of the way. Sue went shopping for me the other day as I was getting just a bit tired of hospital clothing. A girl needs her stuff right?

So that’s it for now. Everyday a little more. Thanks again to all of you who have contributed to the recovery fund, www.tekdivegirl.org every bit helps.

Thank you all again and again for your concern and
good wishes.

Love to you all.

Kimber

It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#69 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 03:08 PM

July 30, 2006

Hi Guys and Girls,

It’s been a few weeks since I last gave you an update directly from me. As always my wonderful friend Sue is putting all this together for me since I still can’t use both my hands for typing or moving the mouse around. Although I am beginning to use the voice recognition software for short things. Anyway, I am so grateful for everything Sue does for me every day you should never have to be in a position to have a friend like her but if you do Sue would be the model you would want.

My condition improves every day. I have been for six weeks now and I am making progress every day. That progress some days is big and other days it is small. For example up until this morning I had not been able to roll over by myself. Today I can roll over when I am in bed. Two weeks ago I was wheelchair bound, now I can, with assistance walk to the bathroom, and even to the dining room. Today I was able to put on my own shirt whereas last week I was not able to lift my right arm at all.

Each day is filled with a routine that has been designed to help me get back to living a productive life. Physical therapy works with me on how to walk, and move, and maintain balance. Occupational therapy works with me on how to care for my self, wash my face, put on clothes, brush my teeth. I even was able to bake some cookies the other day in the small “mock” apartment they have here where people learn how to care for themselves.

Sue and TJ have turned my room here into a little “Pink Condo” all my things are in different pink containers and bins with big index cards taped to them so I know where to find things and where the staff here can find things. I was getting a bit to confused before that and now it’s easier. I still have difficulty focusing on things and I have to concentrate. When I have too many visitors at one time I have to ask some to leave because I can’t keep track of all of it. This got a bit out of hand and now I have asked visitors to call first before coming in. I love visitors as it keeps me connected to my friends and the outside life but it needed to be organized as well. We have a big calendar on the wall and people schedule when they will be coming in and it helps me have something to look forward too. It also helps me plan time with my three wonderful children, my Aunt and my Mom.

You may have read in some posts from Don ( D_B) that they have let me “out of here” on occasion. There is a program here that allows certain trained people to take me across the street to the little mall there to pick up videos’ or to get my hair cut, to get pizza and ice cream. I was even able to get my nails done! (PINK) I treasure those simple things that we all take for granted, even if only for an hour or so. Last weekend the hospital arranged for a group of us here to go to the movies and we saw Pirates of the Caribbean II and my children came with me. It was just like we used to do as a family.
My challenges each day continue to test me. Sometimes I feel like the Tin Man all rusted and creaky. I can’t use my right hand for much more than gripping. The fingers don’t want to work yet so I am quickly becoming a lefty. I get afraid that when I am walking that I will lose balance and fall. I have a children’s writing book and I trace the letters with a pink marker. I get my laptop out from time to time but that just gets frustrating – I want to type but it just becomes hunt and peck. I get to read the posts and some PM’s that come in but it’s very hard for me to respond quickly.. The voice recognition software is helping me with cognitive work and is allowing me to send some notes and to get back and communicate with my friends. I still get headaches and some things are still painful but the medications help. Finally my sleep pattern has gotten better to where I can sleep for 4-5 hours at a time some nights.

Cards and flowers and gifts and things show up here every day and I can’t tell you enough how it touches me that you have all put out this tremendous effort for me. Sometimes I just cry. My head is in a good place though every once in a while I get a little blue. Most of the time I am smiling and laughing when friends and family are around and I get excited when I accomplish something new. I have learned to be patient.

Some milestones here have been climbing the stairs, being able to crawl on all fours without falling down. And most of all being able to hug my children with both arms.

The plan here is to keep working me so that when it’s time to leave I can walk out of here. A lot has to do with my progress and how much they can push my insurance company. I have weekly visits with my complete medical team and everything that is done I am included in. As you can expect I am not quiet about what I want. But these people in the stroke center here have been just fantabulous for me. I want to stay here as long as I can so that when I leave I can take care of myself and then my children who are with my Aunt now.

My case worker tells me that my benefit package from work also had long term disability coverage in it but that wont kick in until about October and we really don’t know how much is going to be there. But I am starting to take some more control of my finances and am paying some bills on line again. The fund that you all set up for me at http://www.tekdivegirl.org is already coming in very handy. I can’t thank you all enough for what a wonderful thing you have done for me. I understand that there are continuing efforts to keep filling that up. I am just so very grateful for the friends I have out there. I have to thank Tracy and Howard and Garrett for leading the efforts there it is greatly appreciated. To not have to worry about some of the things that will not be covered by insurance eases my mind to no end. Thank you.

So, that’s it for now from me. I’m tired and needs some rest. Thank you again for all your good wishes and Pink Positive thoughts for my recovery. I will get another update to you when I can.

Love Kimber

#70 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 03:08 PM

August 15, 2006

Hi Guys and Girls, I’m still around. The past few weeks have been just incredible for me. My rehab progress has taken off and the treatment of my residual medical issues is pretty much under control. This will be my last update from the hospital as they are letting me go home this week.

It’s been a little more than eleven weeks since I got hurt. I’ve gone from “dead on the deck” to interacting with the living and breathing again. It is a wonder what drive, determination, and medical magic can do. My daily routine for the past nine weeks has been to get up, get dressed, eat and “go to work” physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, recreational therapy, and medical maintenance. I went from not being able to move to now I can get out of bed put my brace on and walk to the bathroom and care for myself in a general way. I don’t use the wheel chair as much anymore. I prefer to walk when I can. But it’s not like you walk or how I used to. Besides, they were getting a little annoyed at me as I was scooting all over the place here! Anyway, I have built up enough strength and coordination in my ability to move around that it’s time for me to go home.

I still can’t use my right hand well at all but it has strength and is beginning to work. I still have trouble coordinating things when there are a lot of people around. Some cognitive things just don’t work yet but they are getting better. I still have trouble focusing and I get tired after a few hours of activity. My headaches are less and less but they still come back. I would love to tell you that I am up and running around like I was before but I am not. I still have a lot of work in front of me but I am going to WALK out of here this week like I had always wanted.

Last week I went to my house with Sue, my Mom, and one of the case workers here and we inspected my place to see what I would need to make it work for me. It did not take much mostly because I am on one level and it’s a small place. Sue and “the boys” (Tyler, and Chad) are moving things around for me, putting some of my big stuff in my mom’s garage and organizing the house so I can live there again. TJ will be moving in with me to take care of me when Sue is not around. It’s a challenge but I am up to it.

Next week after I get settled in my house I will begin out-patient therapy right in the same place I have been for the past nine weeks. Essentially I keep my same schedule but I no longer live there. My day will run from 9-330. What I call “going to work.”

I’m excited about leaving here and I am a little apprehensive. I still get scared of things and I get frustrated when I can’t do things that I think I should be able to. But I am working at it.

I should have my computer up and running when I am home but I don’t spend a lot of time on it because its difficult to use with only one hand. Though I am getting better at it.

I’m still trying to figure out money. I have some long term disability benefits from my job that cover about 60% of my small salary. My mom took care of my regular bills for a few months, and friends have been covering a lot of my day to day expenses. I have been holding off going into the recovery fund you all put together for me at http://www.tekdivegirl.org till I got home. I expect I can stretch that about three months if I am careful. I can’t thank you all enough for all you have contributed and continue to contribute for me. It really helps keep my mind at ease. Sue has a small business plan she is working on for me that can help generate some income as well once I am out of rehab if I can’t go back to regular work, but that’s all for later.

Thank you again for all of your good wishes while I have been recovering. The new work begins now. Next time you hear from me it will be from home.

Love Kimber

#71 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 04:58 PM

August 25, 2006

Hi Guys and Girls,

I’m Home! It has been an interesting week. I was released from the Rehab Center last Wednesday. It was both an exhilarating and sad day rolled into one. All the people who had been caring for me the past 10 weeks were all there to send me off. I got wheeled to the door and I walked out on my own. That was my goal and I was able to achieve it. From “dead on the deck” back to the living and breathing.

Now the real work began. I no longer had a full staff of people to take care of me. I have had to do a lot of things on my own and unfortunately I don’t think I was really prepared for it. I no longer have the “push button” on my bedside. Now I had to go back to thinking for myself and get a lot of things done with help of friends and family. The first thing was to get all the prescriptions filled. Thirteen bottles later at a gross cost of something like $1300 was a bit shocking to me. The good thing is that my co-pay was just about $150. Then to get food ordered for the house to make sure I had some balanced meals. Simple things that in the past were easy for me are now a huge effort. I’m slow and have to rely on others for help.

My friends got my apartment cleaned up and straightened out so I could maneuver around with both the wheelchair and when I walk. It’s still not easy. A real home is a lot different than the mock apartment they had at the rehab center. There was stuff all over that needed to be moved around or removed.

My fiend TJ moved in on Thursday and she stays with me now. She gets home about 9:30 pm and then gets me ready in the morning. But like the rest of you she has a life too and we found pretty quickly that we were going to need some more help. Friends and family pitched in over the first few days and weekend I was home. The “boys” came in over the weekend and got my computers set up and put in rails in the bathrooms so I can move around a bit safer. My son Jeremy was a huge help to me. He spent the entire weekend with me doing whatever I needed. I’m proud of him.

In the meantime my dear Sue had broken her leg and was out of commission and will be for another few weeks. I had come to rely on her so much I am a little lost without her.

Monday I started in the Day Program at the same facility I was in before. This is a bit more work than I expected. Now I have to start getting up at 6:30 just to get ready to be there by 9 am! Plus TJ has to get ready for work too! Some mornings this week it was both funny and stressful. My rehab program is pretty intense we start at 9am and go all the way though till 3 pm when my mom comes and picks me up and takes me home. The first day I was exhausted and discouraged. Everything was a tiresome effort but I kept at it. Rehab combined with living back at home is just a huge undertaking. I thought as though maybe I had gotten released too soon. As much as I did not want to bring in outside help I just had to.

So with some help from a friend we got in touch with a home health care company and I now have Monika who comes in every afternoon at 4:30 and stays till 8:30 with me. She helps keep the house clean, does laundry, we make dinner together and then she gets me ready for bed and my next day. Showering is a very big chore and I cant do it myself. But someday I will be able too. She helps me get my clothes for the morning and makes sure I have my medicines before she leaves. She has been a wonder to have and now my stress is much less.

There was a reason I was holding out on using the recovery fund and this is why. My insurance now does not cover the home attendant. It’s costing about $500 or so a week. I am so grateful for the recovery fund and all you have put into it at www.tekdivegirl.org it is now coming in as a lifesaver. Thank you.

My first week in outpatient rehab has been good. It started out a little rough but now it’s getting a bit easier. Today I started to use my right hand to draw circles and lines. I am accomplishing some new things and I know each day will be better. That’s my goal to keep getting better.

Tomorrow the cable guy is showing up to put in a cable and computer line so I can be connected to the world again on a more regular basis. My kids will be here this weekend as well and Sue will come by too. When Monday arrives it’s back to work at the rehab center.

That’s it for now.

Love Kimber

#72 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 25 September 2006 - 05:46 PM

Wow...she's been home a month! I wonder how things are today. I hope they're going well and that she's adjusted to taking care of herself. Glad to see this post back up again...obviously she still needs lots of help and encouragement from all us. That fund is still open and now is the time she needs it most.

#73 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 25 September 2006 - 05:58 PM

I've only just seen that anything happened to Kimber and I'm both horrified that it did and glad that she seems to be getting things together. I had a severe accident 19 years ago that put me in hospital for many months, though nothing like what Kimber has been through. It does sound as if she has tremendous inner strength, which ultimately is what pulled me through and will pull her through. Kimber - you're in my thoughts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users