• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

"View First Unread Post" Feature

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 11 June 2006 - 10:38 AM

Let's say that a thread gets to be several pages long. You have been reading and posting all along. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a feature at the top of the thread that allows the reader to go right to the last post that was read so that the reader can start from there and go forward?

It gets to be a real pain having to go through all of the previous pages again just to get to where you left off. Going to the last post is okay. However, sometimes there are several posts that have been left since the last time the reader looked at the thread. So, this would just mean having to scroll backwards a number of pages instead of forward.

We need a "View First Unread Post" feature.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#2 Terri

Terri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 11 June 2006 - 11:39 AM

Hey Howard - We already have that feature!! :)

As you're viewing the list of topics, each will have a little box next to it. If you click on the little box, it will take you to the last unread post for that topic. (The little box is half orange/half white). If you place your cursur over the little box, it'll say 'goto first unread' or something similar to that....
'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#3 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 11 June 2006 - 11:56 AM

:) I didn't exactly know about that feature either! :lmao:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#4 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 01:05 PM

:lmao: It also goes away altogether once I have finished reading a thread, leaving only threads that I haven't read yet with the little box on it.

:)

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#5 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 01:08 PM

Hmmm. I just tried it on a thread that I know I never read before, and it goes to the last post on it rather than the first (since I have never read any of that thread before). Doesn't seem to work properly unless I have already opened that thread previously.

Am I missing something here?

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 11 June 2006 - 02:02 PM

Hmmm. I just tried it on a thread that I know I never read before, and it goes to the last post on it rather than the first (since I have never read any of that thread before). Doesn't seem to work properly unless I have already opened that thread previously.

In the case of a multi-page thread that you have never opened before simply click on page 1 and it will automatically take you to the first post so you an start reading the thread.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#7 Terri

Terri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 11 June 2006 - 04:32 PM

That happens when you don't read a thread, but then 'Mark all threads as read'...when you log back on, the board will assume that you've read that thread before...even if you haven't. Maybe that's why you observed that.
'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#8 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 11 June 2006 - 05:14 PM

If you're viewing the full board ( singledivers.com Surface Interval and you didn't tell it View New Posts) go to a thread listed under Last Post Info (it's on the very right hand side) and click on a topic; for example, under SD Reports on Trips and Activities, DFW...Are you Ready??? click on the title and it will take you to the first unread post

#9 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 08:21 PM

These seem like pretty cumbersome ways to get what I am trying to do. I want to take a look at threads, see what I want to read, and then read just those. If I have read something in a thread before, I want to start on the next post after that. When I am done looking at any posts I want to read for the session, I will then mark all as read. But, when I go in the next time, I still want to go to the first unread post in a thread. Apparently, we can't do this. Am I correct?

I always mark all as read after finishing reading what I want to read. So, having to give this up just to preserve the option of jumping to the first unread post in a thread that I am interested in doesn't seem like it is worth it. I don't want to have to remember what I have and have not read.

#10 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 12 June 2006 - 08:15 AM

The system keeps track of which page was last viewed when you read topic, but I don't see a mechanism to quickly take you to the 'last read plus one'. Far as I can tell, it only uses the info to let you know that there's been additional post(s) after the last time you'd visited a thread (or read UP TO). If it's a 30 page post and you jump to the last page, I think it loses track of which intermediate pages you may have read and sets the pointer to the end.

It's possible to do, but I'll have to look at it later 'cos I'm buried in something for the next couple of weeks. I'll add it on my to-do list, but I can't promise it any time Real Soon 'cos I'm not a PHP programmer! There may well be existing mods to the code that I can just bolt in, but we need to check it before I go breaking the board (oops). We try to keep the mods to a bare minimum 'cos they get wiped out every time we get a major security update to the code, and we have to manually re-apply effected changes. That can be as simple as one line of code, or a major edit on several pages (ugh!)

#11 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 08:29 AM

Thanks for looking into it.

#12 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 12 June 2006 - 01:31 PM

I see what you're talking about. The little icon JUST TO THE LEFT of the thread title (it's shape & color depends on what skin you're using; I'm seeing a little star with the StarSpangled skin) disappears once you click on a topic, and doesn't re-appear until there's a new post in that thread. Logging out and back in again won't make the 'Goto Last Unread' icon re-appear. At that point, you can go to the first or last, but not the 'last unread'.

IF the thread shows up in the far-right 'Last Post Info" column at the next higher-level topic window, then Kim's right and you can click on it there and still get to the last one you read. In a busy forum with lots of new posts, the chance of the one you wanted being the one shown in the 'Last Post Info' might be pretty slim.

If you hit 'Mark All Posts As Read, then that resets ALL pointers to ALL threads as 'read', far as I can tell. It's a global change, whether you've read it or not. In essence, it tells the board that you've caught up as far as you care to. At that point, it'll never take you to the 'last unread' 'cos it now thinks it's the very last post in the thread when you hit the 'Mark All...' I don't use it for that very reason. I don't want to only see new posts since my last login, if I've missed an interesting topic the first pass by.

If you use the 'mark all', there's nothing I can think of to do. You won't see anything different 'till someone posts in that thread, 'cos you've told the board to catch you up. For the other issue (the Goto Last Unread icon disappearing) I should be able to tweak it. Eventually.

#13 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 12 June 2006 - 05:04 PM

I always use the "View New Post" and the orange Icon in front of a thread always takes me to the first unread one. It is very easy and a great time saver for me. :cool2:
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users