• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

this place is complicated

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 dad+2(.5)

dad+2(.5)

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cert Level:open water,nitrox
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 12 June 2006 - 04:39 AM

well when I signed up for singledivers I thought I was looking for someone to dive with ,so far I have found nothing but message boards.if there is a way to find some one to dive with I havn't found it. I think I'll just take out an add in my local newspaper, at least I can understand how to use it. if for some chance I did this right I and some one reads this HELP !!you can contact me directly(because I dont have a clue how to get back to this) I live in waynesville NC if there is anyone in my area that dives - get a hold of me, at this point I dont care if your the wicked witch of the north or married and drag 5000 kids with you to dive. I just need someone to dive with!!! anyone! if you can sign a log book your all right with me!!!!! Robert
"Here's to woman! Would that we could fall into her arms without falling into her hands"Ambrose Bierce, quoted in Grattan's Bitter Bierce

#2 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 12 June 2006 - 06:45 AM

I think the real idea behind this board is to get to know someone BEFORE you buddy up so you are not diving with a stranger, hang around a while and things will get easier. There are a lot of locals on this board and even some of us carpetbaggers have been known to dive NC.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#3 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Cert Level:diving since high school; rec, tech, cave and wreck, as well as exploration and expedition diving
  • Logged Dives:Thousands... (really!)

Posted 12 June 2006 - 07:10 AM

Your observation is partly correct... but the board also exists to run dive trips. I had a similar misconception when I joined. If you can make a trip or two, you will hopefully meet some "dive buddies". Also, attend your local "happy hour" and you'll meet some divers there. You should also find some "local" dives posted for your area that you can attend and find a "buddy".

Hang in there. Oh... good looking young'ns in your avatar... Future dive buddies???

ITB... :cool2:
"The most important thing is to never stop breathing"... ITB

Actually, the WORST day of diving is better than the BEST day at work... :)

and... my life is not measured by the number of breaths I take, but by the number of breaths I take UNDER WATER :)

"I see you are no stranger to pain." -- "I was married... TWICE!!!" HOT SHOTS, PART DEUX

#4 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:26 AM

I think the real idea behind this board is to get to know someone BEFORE you buddy up so you are not diving with a stranger, hang around a while and things will get easier.

Very good advice - this I took myself and have met up with and dove with quite a few SD members.

If you can make a trip or two, you will hopefully meet some "dive buddies". Also, attend your local "happy hour" and you'll meet some divers there. You should also find some "local" dives posted for your area that you can attend and find a "buddy".

Again, excellent advice! Happy hours, local trips, and SD trips are great ways to meet other SD members in person and to make dive connections.

if there is a way to find some one to dive with I havn't found it.

Robert, your post explaining what you are looking for is a great way to shout a big SD Hello!! Together with the suggestions listed above, I would also recommend:

1. Post a formal introduction post in our New to SingleDivers forum. I saw the post below in another thread, but the best way to let other SD members know you're here and what you are looking for is with a big ol' hello! :birthday:

2. Join other SD members on their planned dives in your area! WreckGoddess, your area's local SD Angel and HAppy Hour guru has planned mulitple events in the DC/VA/MD/NC/SC areas in the past few months. They were in Myrtle Beach over Memorial Day and camped out in Rawlings, VA this past weekend. Whiel those may not be in your immediate area, people like suggestions for new event locations!

3. Premiere Members have access to Private Messaging, i.e. PM. This is the quickest way to get into contact with other members. There are a great number of NC divers on this site. If you see another member from your area, drop them a PM and let them know you are looking to go diving. SingleDivers keeps personal member information private (which is why I removed your email address, mailing address, and phone number from your post) for security, safety and spam purposes (please refer to our site policies).

:P Hi everone! I just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Robert and I have 2 tadpoles Kacie 8yrs & Lacie 21mos and we go diving together 98% of the time and just because they can't actually dive they still have a blast! so I would hope that we could find the time to include everyones kids on a planned trip(short ones) at least once a year......after all they are the next generation of divers, what we teach them now will count later!

Welcome to SD and drop any of us a line if we can be of further assistance!

:)
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#5 dad+2(.5)

dad+2(.5)

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:35 AM

You all still haven't told me a thing, I have two kids and I'm student I don't think I'll be going on any party barges soon, I dont want to "hookup" I want someone with me so I won't drown if I get in trouble. if I need to worry about "unreputble people" in this sport than it's reputation is not as good as I heard!
"Here's to woman! Would that we could fall into her arms without falling into her hands"Ambrose Bierce, quoted in Grattan's Bitter Bierce

#6 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:00 PM

Ummmm,

The 'Premier Members' can't use the e-mail function, but they can do a PM. The e-mail was limited to reduce unwanted solicitations in our member's home mailboxes. For Angels, Mods and above, it's free rein so they can work effectively. If you have notifications turned on (and you're not having the AOL trouble that some users are :cool2: ) then the PMs are just as good. Since it's done that way, your home e-mail address can't ever get out accidentally to anyone you don't give it to.

There's also limitations on which forums standard 'Members' can post in. I'm just reporting the limitations, I don't set 'em. In the "I need an SD dive buddy..." forum standard members can REPLY to a thread but not START a new thread. The same is true for "Upcoming SD GROUP Trips!", "2006 Upcoming Trips!" and "Trips you missed!". 'Premier' members can START and REPLY to threads in all of these. The "I'm headed your way" is read-everyone, and any member can START a thread but no one reply to it - PM use is therefore encouraged.

That's the basic differences. Like much of life, ya get what ya pay for. I went Premier almost immediately 'cos a busted trip with a lousy buddy would cost me $500 minimum, so the $25 was a nit. I'd already had two like that when I went solo. Trips with the LDS were always an iffy proposition, and one of my 'solo' trips was 'cos the shop cancelled the trip 3 weeks before the GO date, a month after I'd bought tickets! BTW, that's a solo TRIP, not a solo DIVE. I was praying in advance that I'd find someone to dive with.

If you're even thinking about going on any of the SD trips, then the $25 membership fee is made back when you get the Premier post-trip refund. There's enough trips going on here that I *don't* have to plan one solo, so it's a good deal for me. Just before WW announced the Jan 06 Cozumel trip, I'd already priced one out a week earlier, and I ended up saving around $400 versus the one I planned.

Just an FYI to clarify things!
Stan

#7 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:14 PM

Ok, how about this.

You have 4 dives. Why would someone want to dive with you? If you want a buddy, you have to be one. So on this board, we try to get a sense of a person, their diving, and their personality BEFORE we jump in the water with them.

If you want someone to "keep you safe" in the water, you need to hire a divemaster and go do some diving. If you are looking for someone who you might get to know, come to trust, and enjoy some diving with, then you've come to a good place.

And there are unreputable people anywhere and everywhere. Human nature. Has nothing to do with the sport of SCUBA diving.

Since we cannot breathe water, EVERY trip into the water is a potentially lethal endeavor. When I select a buddy, I want to know that I can put my life in the hands of that person. That is not something I take lightly, and I want to find out as much about that person as possible. You may feel differently, in which case, taking an ad out in the paper may work well for you.

Good luck.

You all still haven't told me a thing, I have two kids and I'm student I don't think I'll be going on any party barges soon, I dont want to "hookup" I want someone with me so I won't drown if I get in trouble. if I need to worry about "unreputble people" in this sport than it's reputation is not as good as I heard!

#8 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:15 PM

The Northern VA/DC folks have been scheduling drive-downs to NC - they're pretty reasonable trips.

The NC folks lurking out there should be jumping in - they've been trying to organize get togethers, and you're one more reason they should step that up! At the Happy Hours I've been to, it's a great place to socialize and get to know other local divers.

Like Stan said, PM is a great way to communicate if you can.

Living near the countriy's best wreck diving will help you too. People will want to dive with you!

Despite the site name, "hookups" are not what we're all trying to achieve. The unifying factor is divers who are just like you - lacking a buddy.

Keep posting your firm or tentative plans, I think people will respond to you.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#9 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:26 PM

This site is not about "hookups" other than for buddyless divers to meet people similarly situated to go diving with. I am not familiar with any scheduled party barges. The SingleDivers message board and community offers something more than a simple online buddy list (this site is international as well as coordinates dive trips) - perhaps your local dive shop can assist you with a local buddy list. This message board and community provides much of what has been explained in posts above - a chance for people to get to know one another. PerroneFord offered good reasoning as to why people seek that interaction out.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#10 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 12 June 2006 - 01:27 PM

We have a trip running out of the North Carolina end of this month, and some locals are doing drive-ins by prior arrangement to meet other divers since the trip is essentially full. So, read this thread and sign up for the BBQ or social aspects. (You'll need to be an advanced or equivilent diver to dive on the actual trip). http://www.singlediv...olina July 2006

This will be a great way to find some other people that are in your area and to get to know the rest of us that travel for SD trips.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#11 ncdiver43

ncdiver43

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Cert Level:trimix
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 12 June 2006 - 05:45 PM

Have you ever heard of Lake Jocassee in SC? Its about 2 hours from you..check this website out..

www.offthewalldiving.com they offer daily an week-end charters on the lake.. theres divers there every

week end, and always someone to dive with...

#12 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 12 June 2006 - 06:11 PM

It is a rather complicated web site. We are all geniuses here.

Don__t_206087_109148519320074.gif

#13 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Cert Level:aow/nitrox
  • Logged Dives:absolutly no idea

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:07 PM

There are lots of diving opportunities here in NC. since this is my busy time, i cant really guarentee to dive with someone. However, I will point you in the direction of some really good dive operators.
the first part of my diving career was the most frustrating. I had nobody to dive with, little exp. Stick with it and be patient and it will work out.

#14 dad+2(.5)

dad+2(.5)

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:33 PM

Have you ever heard of Lake Jocassee in SC? Its about 2 hours from you..check this website out..

www.offthewalldiving.com they offer daily an week-end charters on the lake.. theres divers there every

week end, and always someone to dive with...

lake jocassie is were I dive most weekends,but the people there are not that friendly!

#15 dad+2(.5)

dad+2(.5)

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:41 PM

Ok, how about this.

You have 4 dives. Why would someone want to dive with you? If you want a buddy, you have to be one. So on this board, we try to get a sense of a person, their diving, and their personality BEFORE we jump in the water with them.

If you want someone to "keep you safe" in the water, you need to hire a divemaster and go do some diving. If you are looking for someone who you might get to know, come to trust, and enjoy some diving with, then you've come to a good place.

And there are unreputable people anywhere and everywhere. Human nature. Has nothing to do with the sport of SCUBA diving.

Since we cannot breathe water, EVERY trip into the water is a potentially lethal endeavor. When I select a buddy, I want to know that I can put my life in the hands of that person. That is not something I take lightly, and I want to find out as much about that person as possible. You may feel differently, in which case, taking an ad out in the paper may work well for you.

Good luck.

that would be 4 logged dives ,Ive been diving for two years now almost every week,alone and I'm tired of it ! but I do think your right about one thing, there are unfriendly people in this sport

Edited by dad+2(.5), 12 June 2006 - 10:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users