• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

this place is complicated

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 dad+2(.5)

dad+2(.5)

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cert Level:open water,nitrox
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:52 PM

Your observation is partly correct... but the board also exists to run dive trips. I had a similar misconception when I joined. If you can make a trip or two, you will hopefully meet some "dive buddies". Also, attend your local "happy hour" and you'll meet some divers there. You should also find some "local" dives posted for your area that you can attend and find a "buddy".

Hang in there. Oh... good looking young'ns in your avatar... Future dive buddies???

ITB... :diver:

yes....if I can get them to sign my logbook!! acually your not far off point, my oldest one will be getting her cert this summer, she went through a bubbles program a month ago and took right to it! :teeth:
"Here's to woman! Would that we could fall into her arms without falling into her hands"Ambrose Bierce, quoted in Grattan's Bitter Bierce

#17 ncdiver43

ncdiver43

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Cert Level:trimix
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 13 June 2006 - 06:01 AM

[font=Comic Sans Ms][size=4][color=#3366FF]

Have you ever heard of Lake Jocassee in SC? Its about 2 hours from you..check this website out..

www.offthewalldiving.com they offer daily an week-end charters on the lake.. theres divers there every

week end, and always someone to dive with...

lake jocassie is were I dive most weekends,but the people there are not that friendly!

hmmm... if ya dive this week end stop by the shop. You have to go right by it to get to the lake.

#18 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 07:02 AM

that would be 4 logged dives ,Ive been diving for two years now almost every week,alone and I'm tired of it ! but I do think your right about one thing, there are unfriendly people in this sport

When diving with a stranger, logged dives is all we have to go on. Case in point:

Sunday, my instructor was setting up a dive for some tourists from out of the country. It wa to be the two of them, (a couple) and he and a buddy of his. They were all certified cave divers. I was talking to the couple, and they were talking that they make air dives to 240-250ft. The depth of the dive they were contemplating making, although on this occasion they were using mix. We got into a slight difference of opnion on the o2 partial pressure, and he tells me he is an IANTD instructor. So I said ok. My instructor comes along and has the same conversation and in no uncertain terms shows him not only is he wrong, but HOW wrong.

At the dive site, both groups get in the water and head down. At the 70ft stop, my instructor gets bonked on the head by the tanks of one of the couple. They couldn't control their buoyancy. Mind you, these people have been diving for YEARS, and are certified cave divers. They were planning to dive to 260ft. They were STRONGLY encouraged to only explore the 70ft cave which they did.

My point, is that even with 1000 dives, some people are simply not safe in the water, and you cannot judge that simply by people telling you "what they've done."

I hope you find your dive buddy (there's lots of members near you) and I hope you enjoy your stay.

#19 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:enough

Posted 13 June 2006 - 07:20 AM

I think we could really help you out if needed!!! Just post WHERE you want to go diving and maybe when, and see if there's anyone local that might wanna come out!! Stay around and get to know this crazy bunch!! We're a lot of fun once we get out and go diving. Singledivers is about helping divers find diving buddies and we're about trips too!! I have a couple people in my area that I met thru this board. Whenever I want to go out I call them and off we go!! I hope you can join us on a trip! If you ever get up my way, head for the St Lawrence and go do some fresh water diving. The wooden wrecks in the area are so neat! They look like they would still float if brought up... ok well, some of them!! The Gaskin has more holes in it then a cheese cloth.
Sempar Partus!!

#20 dad+2(.5)

dad+2(.5)

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 11:31 AM

that would be 4 logged dives ,Ive been diving for two years now almost every week,alone and I'm tired of it ! but I do think your right about one thing, there are unfriendly people in this sport

When diving with a stranger, logged dives is all we have to go on. Case in point:

Sunday, my instructor was setting up a dive for some tourists from out of the country. It wa to be the two of them, (a couple) and he and a buddy of his. They were all certified cave divers. I was talking to the couple, and they were talking that they make air dives to 240-250ft. The depth of the dive they were contemplating making, although on this occasion they were using mix. We got into a slight difference of opnion on the o2 partial pressure, and he tells me he is an IANTD instructor. So I said ok. My instructor comes along and has the same conversation and in no uncertain terms shows him not only is he wrong, but HOW wrong.

At the dive site, both groups get in the water and head down. At the 70ft stop, my instructor gets bonked on the head by the tanks of one of the couple. They couldn't control their buoyancy. Mind you, these people have been diving for YEARS, and are certified cave divers. They were planning to dive to 260ft. They were STRONGLY encouraged to only explore the 70ft cave which they did.

My point, is that even with 1000 dives, some people are simply not safe in the water, and you cannot judge that simply by people telling you "what they've done."

I hope you find your dive buddy (there's lots of members near you) and I hope you enjoy your stay.

yes, now someone sees my point, I wanted to get my rescue cert this year- but since I've been diving alone I can't prove squat - I wanted to change that this year but I still get a bunch of flak for trying 2 b honest on my logs--- maybe I should have gotton one of my classmates to sign them and gone on w/my plans to take the next cert I was after!
"Here's to woman! Would that we could fall into her arms without falling into her hands"Ambrose Bierce, quoted in Grattan's Bitter Bierce

#21 dad+2(.5)

dad+2(.5)

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 11:37 AM

I think we could really help you out if needed!!! Just post WHERE you want to go diving and maybe when, and see if there's anyone local that might wanna come out!! Stay around and get to know this crazy bunch!! We're a lot of fun once we get out and go diving. Singledivers is about helping divers find diving buddies and we're about trips too!! I have a couple people in my area that I met thru this board. Whenever I want to go out I call them and off we go!! I hope you can join us on a trip! If you ever get up my way, head for the St Lawrence and go do some fresh water diving. The wooden wrecks in the area are so neat! They look like they would still float if brought up... ok well, some of them!! The Gaskin has more holes in it then a cheese cloth.

You can't miss me at Lake Jocassie-I'm the one sitting alone at the top of the boat ramp ---- sometimes I have two very loud tadpoles w/me!!!! :) :banghead: :P

Edited by dad+2(.5), 13 June 2006 - 11:38 AM.

#22 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 13 June 2006 - 11:48 AM

You can't miss me at Lake Jocassie-I'm the one sitting alone at the top of the boat ramp ---- sometimes I have two very loud tadpoles w/me!!!! :banghead: :banghead: :P

Too bad that lake is not near where I live. But, if want local, you will find that many of our members hail from your area. Later on, you may decide that you want something beyond local and this site will certainly give you better access to that type of diving (especially with the "tadpoles", BTW we do have a forum here for single diving parents :banghead: ). You will find us a crazy, friendly, and addicting bunch if you give us a chance :banghead: .

As to the freshwater wrecks in the St. Lawrence, I don't think that we will see them pulling up the Muskie anytime soon either. And the Gaskin would be in better shape if instructors didn't think that the deck was a good place to crash their OW/AOW students :) .
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#23 OTWdiver

OTWdiver

Meeting folks

• Removed Per User Request
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Cert Level:TECH DEEP Instructor, Prefer my single tank.
  • Logged Dives:Active every week since 1983

Posted 13 June 2006 - 01:31 PM

Hi and welcome to SD. :P

I have been diving the walk in ramp at Jocassee for the last 25 years. You will find divers from every walk of life. The classes being taught every weekend tend to keep you from joining in as a buddy as they are under instruction. They do however produce many new divebuddies once they have finished their classes. If you make yourself known and hang around the ramp you will find lots of new and eager divers. They might seem a little stand offish at first, but explain your need to join a team and make it a threesome. You will soon find out that divers at the ramp are very friendly. You may join in the charters that travel accross the lake to jump in the lake next to the wall or dive the Chinese Junket. The charter includes two tanks or fills for your tanks for $30. You will meet and make many new dive buddies in your backyard. The oportunity to dive is not expensive and your interest in safety is good. Talk to divers and find out what their interests underwater are and you can share yours. Go back to the shop you took your dive classes from and see if they can help you find a buddy to travel to the lake and offset your expense for the travel as well as being a buddy. The choices are many. You can also contact me and I'd be happy to help in anyway that I can. :) and :banghead: - Bill aka OTWDiver
"Those who have never seen themselves surrounded on all sides by the sea can never possess an idea of the world, and of their relation to it" Goethe

#24 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 13 June 2006 - 01:34 PM

Welcome to our diving community and our online home.

First let me say that our site is not that easy to figure out nor that easy to navigate. :) We are working on that as we speak and we hope to have a new front end to the website done in July. :P

Part of what we hope to do is to explain how to find dive buddies using our site to dive locally, regionally and of course internationally.

Being small the primary focus of the site is to provide group trips where everyone on the trip is either single and buddyless or married but buddyless. The common element is BUDDYLESS...it is not a dating site nor a hook up site. However since many of our buddyless divers are also single not married, many of the community discussions are about being single or relationships etc.

May I say that your tadpoles are adorable...and hopefully they will be future divers one day too! In fact you can learn a lot about children and diving via our site. Simply post a question in our General Diving forum found here or look to see if we've already had that discussion (we did but it was a long time ago) and you'll be amazed at the wealth of information that you'll receive on this or other subjects!

As others have mentioned you can contact other divers directly by becoming a premier member or you can simply post an intro here! This helps other divers get to know you and you them!

With only 2400 members in a little over 2 years we are proud to have members from over 21 different countires...but we don't always have lots of members from anyone location. However Bill aka OTWDiver is one of our members and has graciously offered to put our stickers up in his shop...OffTheWallDiveCharters... which is where I think you found us. As for diving at the lake I'm hoping that we can get a DOM or Dive of the Month going there or even offshore which will faciliate 'single/buddyless' divers like yourself, more readily meet OTHER buddyless divers. I know how hard it is to show up to the 'singles' dock and look for a buddy. It rarely happens. However with our group we focus on socialization opportunities via the board, local get togethers, happy hours and local DOM's so that we all can get to know everyone better!

I'm glad you found us and I hope you'll give us a chance. But as with all good things in life...unless you want fast food...it takes time! Being a father you know what that means and again I'm very glad you've found us! kamala aka wreck wench

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#25 dad+2(.5)

dad+2(.5)

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 12:42 PM

It is a rather complicated web site. We are all geniuses here.

:P :cheerleader: :welcome: pluththththththththththththththththththththththt :canada: I'lll bee bacck---hehehe!!

Edited by dad+2(.5), 14 June 2006 - 12:44 PM.

#26 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 15 June 2006 - 11:19 PM

yes, now someone sees my point, I wanted to get my rescue cert this year- but since I've been diving alone I can't prove squat - I wanted to change that this year but I still get a bunch of flak for trying 2 b honest on my logs--- maybe I should have gotton one of my classmates to sign them and gone on w/my plans to take the next cert I was after!

I would still fill out a logbook,you did the dive so it's your right to log it.It's a good way to track information(gear,weight required ect). Having someone sign off on the dive as a witness is not important.The only dives I've ever had signed off were training/course dives and that was more the instuctor than any need on my part.Also if where your getting your fills is where your taking your courses...they see you coming in for fills they probably think you diving with them.Fill out your log and if they give you a grief take your buisness/money elsewhere unless you like being called a liar which is what they are saying if they don't belive you.If they claim that without a winess sig on it its not valid,call them on it and ask them to show you in writing the law where it states that a witness is needed to make it 'legal'

#27 Travelgal

Travelgal

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:236

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:45 AM

: :cool2: Hey! I am fairly new here as well and I understand your frustration....this site is a little hard to navigate at first and I am really sorry I did not spend more time when I firtst signed up figuring it out or I would have been on some previous trips I have missed out on.....but once you take the time to navigate around it you will find it is a very friendly helpful site! Everyone here is into making this the best sport in the world!!! I have seen so many posts from people in your area I am sure once you read through some of the boards you will find lots of dive buddies! I think the premier membership is well worth it!

I know it is hard when you are working and raising children to find much time for yourself....but if you could fit a long weekend trip in I am sure you would meet lots of great people. The singles week to Roatan is going to be 90 single divers from all over....I am sure there will be some from your area as well.....maybe check it out! :o :D
Travelgal

Edited by Travelgal, 16 June 2006 - 07:46 AM.

Never make someone a priority in your life who has only made you an option in theirs!

#28 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 16 June 2006 - 10:32 AM

If they claim that without a winess sig on it its not valid,call them on it and ask them to show you in writing the law where it states that a witness is needed to make it 'legal'

Again, hard to take serious advice from a 6 year old.... :lmao:

But I do agree with documenting all your dives if you will need it for further training.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#29 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 17 June 2006 - 07:44 AM

Again, hard to take serious advice from a 6 year old.... :lmao:

But I do agree with documenting all your dives if you will need it for further training.

I felt it best pointed out my mental age(ask my ex).For the record my advice is worth twice what I charged you for it.

I've seen log books ranging from fancy store bought waterproof paper ect to a simple store bought notebook with lined paper on which all the info the diver felt was important entered.Noone ever seemed to have an issue with them as far as stores,charters ect were concerened

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users