• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

How goes your training?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 freedivers

freedivers

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Cert Level:SAFER & IAFD Freedive Instructor
  • Logged Dives:Too many to count when you freedive ;-)

Posted 14 June 2006 - 03:24 PM

What does MDR mean?

MDR stands for Mammalian Dive Reflex. It is the physiological response to diving at depth in Sea mammals - Dolphins, Whales, Seals...

In laymans terms - blood moves away from the extremities into the thoracic cavity. Heart rate drops, etc. Red blood cells are released from the spleen due to increased hydrostatic pressure. It kicks in more quickly the colder the water is - receptors in the face when immersed in cold water is what begins the transition into MDR.

HTH,

Edited by freedivers, 14 June 2006 - 03:24 PM.

Cliff Etzel
Immersive Video Journalist

"The scuba diver dives to look around. The freediver dives to look inside" Umberto Pelizzari

#17 JimQPublic

JimQPublic

Getting started

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cert Level:Just Learning
  • Logged Dives:2

Posted 14 June 2006 - 04:51 PM

Freedive training:

Avoiding caffeine. I'm in week two. One day at a time. The physical craving is gone but the psychological one is still fighting me.

Arguing with Cliff about freediving.

Spending money. Just ordered a Suunto D3 freedive computer.

Holding my breath.

Trying to work out a time in my schedule when I can dive with one of the guys I took a class with while not abandoning my kids/wife too much.

Walking from the train station to work (3 miles round trip + a big hill). Doing some breath hold walking.

Trying to figure out time in my schedule to get more exercise.

Eating better than I have been.

I started this post as a joke, but honestly I'm doing all I can.

Last week in class I hit 4:00 static breath hold clean and 5:12 with hypoxic slight samba after taking a breath. I think I could do 5:00 clean. My maximum depths were 66 feet and I hung out there for a bit to get 1:40 down time. Poor visibility, seasickness, and cold water messed with my head and scared me from going deeper.

Jim

Edited by JimQPublic, 14 June 2006 - 04:54 PM.

#18 freedivers

freedivers

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 05:03 PM

Gotcha on the caffeine dude.. I'm drinking 3 cups of french press coffee a day and can still do a 50 meter DWF...

hehe...

Whatcha mean arguing with me??? :diver:
Cliff Etzel

"The scuba diver dives to look around. The freediver dives to look inside" Umberto Pelizzari

#19 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 17 June 2006 - 07:54 PM

I think many have a misconception about freediving - freediving isn't about speed, it's about efficiency underwater - one will burn thru their O2 supply quicker and experience lactic acid burn as a direct result.

If you watch freedivers, it is about relaxation. Freedive finning technique isn't like typical scuba finning. There are specific techniques that can only be shown in a clinic/course setting. Even my scuba fins are similar to freedive blades.

Relaxation and efficiency is the key. The longest breath hold times are done when the diver is still or static. So, while moving, the less one moves, the better. Large muscles do more work and the more a diver moves larger muscles, the O2/lactic result as Cliff mentions, will cut a diver's breath hold time. For example, if a diver were using his fingers to do a pull & glide rather than fin over distance, smaller muscles groups will be used allowing for a greater distance than if the larger muscles of the thighs were being used. The idea is to do the minimum amount of work whatever one's goal. Work requires energy and energy eats breath hold times. The same is true in scuba diving. Scuba divers tend to use way too much energy while diving. My last cave instructor, John Orlowski, never got close to even using 1000 psi (thirds) in dives that lasted 2 hours.

But, then again, some of the world champion freedivers are ugly with technique -- especially surface dives. I can't believe how much energy they waste. Those of you who've seen me on video compared to other freedivers know what I mean. You can still set records and suck at the form & streamlining Cliff and I are talking about. Hey, wait! You can do that on scuba too! The DIR guys need to see Orlowski. (Insert shameless plug for Aqua-Speleo here.)

~ Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#20 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 08:35 PM

Relaxation and efficiency is the key. The longest breath hold times are done when the diver is still or static. So, while moving, the less one moves, the better. Large muscles do more work and the more a diver moves larger muscles, the O2/lactic result as Cliff mentions, will cut a diver's breath hold time. For example, if a diver were using his fingers to do a pull & glide rather than fin over distance, smaller muscles groups will be used allowing for a greater distance than if the larger muscles of the thighs were being used. The idea is to do the minimum amount of work whatever one's goal. Work requires energy and energy eats breath hold times. The same is true in scuba diving. Scuba divers tend to use way too much energy while diving. My last cave instructor, John Orlowski, never got close to even using 1000 psi (thirds) in dives that lasted 2 hours.

But, then again, some of the world champion freedivers are ugly with technique -- especially surface dives. I can't believe how much energy they waste. Those of you who've seen me on video compared to other freedivers know what I mean. You can still set records and suck at the form & streamlining Cliff and I are talking about. Hey, wait! You can do that on scuba too! The DIR guys need to see Orlowski. (Insert shameless plug for Aqua-Speleo here.)

~ Trace

Hey Stranger! :evilgrin: back!

#21 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 19 June 2006 - 07:53 AM

I think many have a misconception about freediving - freediving isn't about speed, it's about efficiency underwater - one will burn thru their O2 supply quicker and experience lactic acid burn as a direct result.

I think I was the only one that mentioned anything about speed in this post. I guess I should have said the fins were fast with minimal effort. I understand the part about being relaxed and would love to have more insight on this. One reason why I like my jets is that the frog kick is such a relaxed stoke for me. What type of kicking technique do you use with long fins to extend your dive times. I have used freediving fins only once, while I could flutter kick with ease, I just don't find the flutter kick relaxing.

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#22 freedivers

freedivers

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:44 AM

Flutter kicking with freedive fins isn't the same as with scuba fins. The frequency of kicks is usually slower and more deliberate - I find my flutter kick quite relaxing but I have been focusing on proper technique and that only comes with using the fins over and over in training sessions - which I do in the pool - purposeful exercises focusing on relaxation and proper technique.

Edited by freedivers, 19 June 2006 - 08:45 AM.

Cliff Etzel

#23 golougor

golougor

Getting started

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Open Water, PDIC Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:50+

Posted 02 March 2008 - 11:46 PM

LOL - fins, eh?

I originally dove for a number of years with ots plastic fins, but this year saw me transition to glass composite blades and it was like night and day.

I think personally that plastic blades do more harm than good unless they are on the soft side. Depending on your leg strength, you might want to look at the Cressi Gara 3000LF fins - many in Europe are diving these and I have read positive reviews on them. They are more compliant than some of the other plastic fin blades out there. Not sure about the sporasub/mares fins although ESDS here has them - they seem like all the other fins out there - If you can afford them, go with #1(softest) or maybe #2(what I dive) fins from Waterway - they are made in Eastern Europe and are very well made. I have a contact for them - I believe I was quoted 69 euro plus 10 euro shipping. That was for blades only - a little higher with foot pockets (made by OMER)

I can say that I had SAD experience with Waterway. I bought Monofin from them and I thought that I saved money. But when I got it I was disappointed with quality. It's pure amateurish! I spoke with Bogdan (owner of Waterway) and heard many "no,no,no....

I proved to myself: Greedy pays twice.

Serge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users