• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

How to help Kimber aka TekDiveGirl...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 14 June 2006 - 11:10 AM

HOW TO HELP...

Hey gang...if you like to help Kimber financially during this time here are the details. While she has medical insurance, as the sole provider for her two children, it will not cover her monthly obligations and here is where we can help:

To make a contribution either in name or anonymously
please send contributions to:

Kimberly Thurman Recovery Assistance Fund
c/o Pat Hawkins (her mother)
1675 San Elijo Ave
Cardiff, CA 92007
United States

If you have a Washington Mutual branch near you, the
Account # is: 3121460715

You can also send contributions via PAY-PAL:

Use patahawkins@aol.com as the payment address and it will go directly to Kimber's mom. You can also send any well wishes to the address above for Kimber when she is able to read them.

Thank you all for your help and support of one of our dear members! kamala

p.s. as updates on her condition are available we'll post them here for you.

Hey gang...

Building on Jill aka Nextariels idea...I have modified my signature to show the "Think Pink" Challenge! I've just donated $25 to paypal for this challenge and ask that everyone else simply send $25 as well. While not a huge amount if we all send that small amount...she will certainly have a dent in the huge financial equation that is looming before her!

So take the 'Pink Challenge'.... 25 reasons and 25 bucks to support one of our own!!! -ww

Top 25 Reasons to Support Kimber aka TekDiveGirl in her time of need....

1. Cuz we can!
2. Cuz she is one of our active, supportive and contributing member!
3. Cuz we've all learned from her posts...lets give back!
4. Cuz its a small donation so won't really hurt!
5. Cuz we'd all like to think the same would be done for us!
6. Cuz we would just spend the money on something and later never recall what it was...
7. Cuz it feels good to make a difference!
8. Cuz its as easy as going to www.paypal.com and clicking on 'send money' and entering patahawkins@aol.com as the email address to send the money too!
9. Cuz deep down we all know that we are worried about her
10. And we worry that $25 isn't enough...
11. But if we do it collectively it WILL add up!
12. And we know that every little bit DOES make a difference!
13. Cuz for every dollar we offer...we'll recieve twice that much if not more in return goodness!
14. Cuz you know you want to help...so here's a simple way!
15. Cuz she has two kids who depend on her entirely as a single mom!
16. Cuz she has had our worst nightmare happen...a diving accident and it shows how vunerable we are.
17. Cuz I'm running out of reasons for you all to donate!
18. Cuz everyone likes a challenge so Take the Pink Challenge!!!
19. Cuz I'll even offer our SD - DSS Supply PINK Wings at no add'l color charge!!!
20. Cuz as divers we can change the world...or that of one of our members...please help!
21. Cuz if we all donate we can help a fellow friend and member...doesn't that feel good?
22. Cuz the sooner you donate the sooner this list will be done! LOL!!!
23. Cuz its the right thing to do! (If you can of course!)
24. Cuz really cool people help others!
25. Cuz we love Kimber!!! Go Girl!!!

And if you want to modify your signature here is the code to add to it (accessible via My Controls):

[*b][*color=#FF99FF][*size=2] [*u]Think PINK!.... [*i]TAKE THE PINK CHALLENGE!!! [/i*] [/u*] [/size*] [/b*] [b*] Help Kimber aka TecDiveGirl[/size*] [url=http://www.singledivers.com/surfaceinterval/index.php?showtopic=9604*]here! [/url*] [size=2*] Thank You!!![/size*] [/color*] [/b*]

NOTE: remove the *from the front and end of the code so it will work!

[size=4]Message from family friend Joel Silverstein:

June 6, 2006

Kimber’s family understands that you all are her friends and would like some information, to that end I have been given permission by them to make this single statement.

On Saturday June 3rd 2006 Kimberly Thurman was on our dive charter off the dive boat Lois Ann to the wreck of the Hogan. After her second dive she surfaced, made her way on to the dive platform and informed the crew she was not feeling well.

The crew of the Lois Ann got her onto the deck and began immediate first aid treatment. We then got the boat secured and underway while calling in for assistance from the USCG and other local agencies. She was transferred to primary care within an hour or so of the incident and then taken to a hospital for evaluation, medical care and treatment.

She is still in the hospital and being well cared for. Her family which includes her mother, aunt, and her boyfriend are maintaining constant contact with her care givers, nurses, and physicians.

Kimber suffered a medical emergency while on a dive boat and was evacuated; this is not a dive accident that needs to be analyzed at this time. It is out of respect for her medical privacy that the family does not wish to discuss her condition. Her mother and boyfriend have asked that you keep the chatter on this to a minimum and focus your energies on having good thoughts for her speedy recovery. The community support as demonstrated by the wishes on this board is something simply incredible.

It's natural for all of us who are her friends to want as much information as possible, immediately. However, Kimber's family would appreciate some privacy during this difficult time. They ask that no flowers or gifts be sent to her and that no visitors are to come by. If there is more information that is needed to be released they will do it in due time.

In the meantime, I am focused on helping to properly handle the tremendous amount of administrative effort that follows any evacuation, in order to preserve the critical data.

Thank you for all your support and prayers for her speedy recovery.

Respectfully submitted

Joel Silverstein

post script:

When ever there is an accident or an incident that results in care or evacuation off a dive vessel there are many documents that need to be completed by all the people that were on board, provided care, and helped in any way. These reports are all for Coast Guard, Police, Hospital, Insurance companies, etc. There are certain privacy laws that come in to play that sometimes restrict the information that can be released by parties who were involved. It is common practice that an overall silence be placed on crews and participants while all of this is going on until such time as any particular release is authorized by the patient/victim or their family. While this may not be what is wanted by the “community” this just happens to be the way it is.

I’ve been in the professional end of diving for going on 18 years now. I have seen and been involved in the management of diving accidents and incidents on more than one occasion, I ran an emergency hyperbaric facility in NY for 3 years, I work as an expert witness and consultant evaluating diving accidents and incidents and have a good handle on what goes on here. Suffice to say that Kimber’s first aid, evacuation and transfer to higher medical care was as swift and professional as I have ever been involved in. She is being cared for in the most appropriate place at this time.

I will ask you to respect the wishes of her family, and to appreciate that since this was my charter I am restricted by confidentiality in discussing any particulars. Please find a place in your heart to pray for Kimber’s speedy recovery.

Thank you for your concern.

Joel Silverstein

June 11, 2006 [size=4]

Sunday morning update from family...

"Kimber has opened her eyes... She has had some movement and has even cracked a smile. She has shown signs of response, although it's not a definite signal of recovery.

Every single step no matter how small is a positive sign Keep praying."

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:48 AM

gear.jpg Here is a fabulous picture made available from family and friends of Kimber...please keep her in your thoughts and prayers! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 12:47 PM

Update on 6-15-06

Kimber is awake and responsive. She is still heavily sedated for pain. They are hoping to move her from critical care today to intensive

Physical Therapy should begin soon. Tek/Kimber has done pt before, so lets stay positive and hope she flies through

Update on 6-16-06

Kimber/Tek started PT today which is going really well. They are working on "re-wiring" her hands and legs. She is frustrated and having no problem letting people know about it I think that sounds like somebody we know!

Thanks to family and friends for these updates!

formerly...

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:36 AM

Here's the latest update from family and friends:

On Saturday June 3rd, 2006, Kimberly Thurman was diving on the wreck of the Hogan off Point Loma in San Diego off the dive boat Lois Ann. After her second dive, she surfaced and made her way on to the dive platform and informed the crew she was not feeling well.

The crew of the Lois Ann got her onto the deck and began immediate first aid treatment. She was transferred to primary care within an hour or so of the incident and then taken to a hospital for evaluation, medical care, and treatment.

Since then she has remained in the hospital moving from Critical Care to Intensive Care and will now be moved to a Rehabilitation center. She suffered a serious case of Arterial Gas Embolism. Her condition the first 10 days was critical and grave. However, she has responded remarkably well to treatment and is alive, well, and progressing. The physical therapy will take many months, as her brain has to learn how to re-do many things. Miraculously, she is awake, talking up a storm, laughing, and is on the road to healing.

We are grateful for the speed and professionalism that was shown by all those involved in her rapid and speedy rescue and transport to higher medical help, and know that was a critical part of her survival.

At this time we do not know the cause of the embolism, hopefully some future tests will help find that out.

In the meantime, we are concentrating on helping her learn to do all the basic functions that we all take for granted. We are caring for her children during this difficult time as well. It will be a long journey to recovery, but we are confident that she will be home with her family and children soon.

We appreciate all the well wishes and the contributions to Kimberly Thurman Recovery Assistance Fund. This fund was established by her friends to help with the many day to day bills that are not covered by insurance. All help is greatly appreciated, as she will not be able to work for at the least a few more months. Info on how to make contributions to her recovery fund can be found here!

As we have more updates on her condition and progress we will have them posted to the appropriate web boards.

Thank you again for all of your prayers, good wishes, and concern for our friend Kimber.

Sincerely,

Sue Schimka (Kimber's Best Friend)

And from her brother as posted:

Monday AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After spending the last two nights at the hospital with Kimber, I can tell you that her sense of humor hasn't gone anywhere...she had great concern about the appearance of her booty until she realized it was her pillow she was touching and then had me send Scuba Sue a pic of her wash clothe Woody....

When I arrived at the hospital tonight at about 9:30 pm, I walked into her room to see her trying to lean forward and grimmacing..when I asked her what she was doing she stopped and said, "just trying to get out of bed...." she has a gift for redirecting her frustration into determination.

Kimber, I know you will be reading these posts soon....you are a great sister! Love ya, tj

formerly...

#5 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 07:20 AM

Hey gang...

Building on Jill aka Nextariels idea...I have modified my signature to show the "Think Pink" Challenge! I've just donated $25 to paypal for this challenge and ask that everyone else simply send $25 as well. While not a huge amount if we all send that small amount...she will certainly have a dent in the huge financial equation that is looming before her!

So take the 'Pink Challenge'.... 25 reasons and 25 bucks to support one of our own!!! -ww

Top 25 Reasons to Support Kimber aka TekDiveGirl in her time of need....

1. Cuz we can!
2. Cuz she is one of our active, supportive and contributing member!
3. Cuz we've all learned from her posts...lets give back!
4. Cuz its a small donation so won't really hurt!
5. Cuz we'd all like to think the same would be done for us!
6. Cuz we would just spend the money on something and later never recall what it was...
7. Cuz it feels good to make a difference!
8. Cuz its as easy as going to www.paypal.com and clicking on 'send money' and entering patahawkins@aol.com as the email address to send the money too!
9. Cuz deep down we all know that we are worried about her
10. And we worry that $25 isn't enough...
11. But if we do it collectively it WILL add up!
12. And we know that every little bit DOES make a difference!
13. Cuz for every dollar we offer...we'll recieve twice that much if not more in return goodness!
14. Cuz you know you want to help...so here's a simple way!
15. Cuz she has two kids who depend on her entirely as a single mom!
16. Cuz she has had our worst nightmare happen...a diving accident and it shows how vunerable we are.
17. Cuz I'm running out of reasons for you all to donate!
18. Cuz everyone likes a challenge so Take the Pink Challenge!!!
19. Cuz I'll even offer our SD - DSS Supply PINK Wings at no add'l color charge!!!
20. Cuz as divers we can change the world...or that of one of our members...please help!
21. Cuz if we all donate we can help a fellow friend and member...doesn't that feel good?
22. Cuz the sooner you donate the sooner this list will be done! LOL!!!
23. Cuz its the right thing to do! (If you can of course!)
24. Cuz really cool people help others!
25. Cuz we love Kimber!!! Go Girl!!!

And if you want to modify your signature here is the code to add to it (accessible via My Controls):

[*b][*color=#FF99FF][*size=2] [*u]Think PINK!.... [*i]TAKE THE PINK CHALLENGE!!! [/i*] [/u*] [/size*] [/b*] [b*] [size=2*]Help Kimber aka TekDiveGirl[/size*] [url=http://www.singledivers.com/surfaceinterval/index.php?showtopic=9604*]here! [/url*] [size=2*] Thank You!!![/size*] [/color*] [/b*]

NOTE: remove the *from the front and end of the code so it will work!

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users