• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Does Nitrox make my Butte look Big or make my dive safer?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:48 PM

I have had so many people pitch the benefits of a nitrox cert to me its To Funny!
The best thing I have heard about it is that you feel better after you dive with it?? WW tell them I need exciting after a dive. :diver: As I look closer to Nitrox I see alot of troubles it can get you into like Going Deep Hmmm thats not good for a diver is it? The next is in most places they have to mix each cylinder seperately Hmmm so why the test equipment you are suggested to carry to test your tank?? All in All I think its a sale pitch and could cost you your health or your life if you dont watch out. Plain air has been good for us for about a Zillion years now why screw with a good thing???

Your Thoughts

B2B
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#2 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:09 PM

Is this a troll or are you actually serious?

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:16 PM

Bubski is well...serious but he's also trying to be funny too. I think most of the post is directed at dispelling the fallacies of nitrox as well as looking at the hype. The part about the big butt...is of course humor! :diver:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#4 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:19 PM

Oh, well if he understand the benefits of nitrox for shallow dives, and is uninterested, then that's cool.

Carry on.

#5 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:47 PM

I would give you the "air is for tires" line. However, I just got new tires for my car today, and even those don't get air anymore. Now, they are using nitrogen for tire fills. :diver:
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#6 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:57 PM

There are benefits to diving nitrox; however though having my cert I've never had the desire to dive it.

One thing I noticed immediately is that my mouth didn't get dry, nor did my throat. This is important from someone who is an allergy problem that causes her throat to dry up without warning and darn near close. Nitrox is a much better choice for me because of that reason.

With Nitrox you are less likely to experience the effects of nitrogen narcosis. You can have more bottom time and shorter surface intervals when diving nitrox. That's terrific for those of us lake divers who want to stay on the bottom all day and only come up long enough for a sandwich or tank change and we're chomping at the bit to get back down below.

I believe it's the prolonged build up of nitrogen that makes me very tired at the end of a good day of diving. I've been told by a lot of my peers who dive nitrox that they don't experience that feeling quite so much. They're often ready to hit the dance floor, go out to dinner or who knows what after diving nitrox all day opposed to diving air.

There are different blends of nitrox for different reasons, but even EAN36 allows you to dive within recreational limits safely - just not a hair more! With that said, my thoughts on deep diving are this: I dive deep when I have a need to dive deep, or a goal to meet like for my AOW cert. One day I will dive the Devil's Throat in Cozumel and will most likely crack recreational limits for that dive...I will not dive Nitrox for that dive.

You're right B2B, we've been breathing air for zillions of years...but it's not been compressed air; and we've not been breathing it for zillions of years from the bottom of a lake or ocean under increased layers of atmospheric pressure.

#7 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:31 PM

Nitrogen reduction in an oxygen-nitrogen mixture does not have any significant effect on narcosis reduction. In fact, theories suggest that oxygen is also narcotic under pressure.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#8 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:36 PM

Is this a troll or are you actually serious?

Bubski?...A troll?...Nah... He has been known to be somewhat of a "shock puppet" at times! :(

Sorry Bubs, couldn't help myself! Ya know I love ya babe. :diver:

#9 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:45 PM

Well, the technical and commercial diving community gave up on air decades ago. It seems only recreational SCUBA is clinging onto it for God knows what reason. Maybe the 4 hour class is too much for people.

I've not used air by choice since I got my nitrox card. Nor will I. The ONLY exception to this is that I will probably dive air on the Oriskany, but only because I don't have my trimix cert, and I don't have time to get it before the dive.

#10 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 10:09 PM

I think the benefits of Nitrox are pretty well established and accepted by most people. I dive Nitrox when I am doing multiple dives over the course of 5 or 6 days. When I'm diving locally on the weekend, I just dive air. I have not noticed any difference in the way I feel after diving either one. However, I have never made multiple dives over a weeks time on air either. The lower risk of DCS is all the reason I need.

#11 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 10:11 PM

When I'm diving locally on the weekend, I just dive air. I have not noticed any difference in the way I feel after diving either one.

Tell me what your deco profile looks like...

#12 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 11:00 PM

Well last weekend I made two dives at Blue Lagoon. Maximum depth 26 feet. I dived till my buddy ran out of air, with a SIT of over an hour. (Never said the local diving was all that wonderful around here).

Dived the rigs a couple weeks ago.

Dive 1: 70ft
37 min
60 min SIT - Boat Capt. requires at least 1 hour as a rule regardless of how deep or long you stay under.

Dive 2: MD 65ft
40 min.

Second dive was spent more in the 50 ft range, computer allowed for more time.

I don't see any great advantage with Nitrox for me locally. My dive time is usually limited by how quickly my dive buddies run out of air.

#13 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 11:13 PM

Well, two things.

1. You still haven't posted your decompression profile. Only your surface interval.

2. Nitrox has plenty of advantages. But underwater stay isn't one of them. At least not in this case.

And I probably wouldn't dive with any captian that "required" a 1 hour SIT.

Edited by PerroneFord, 21 June 2006 - 11:15 PM.

#14 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 21 June 2006 - 11:26 PM

Perrone,

alot of boat captains will tell you how long you'll stay out of the water...it's a by-product of our sue-happy society

and I wouldn't dive Nitrox in a murky quarry either...the one's here in Texas have at best 5 to 10 vis and not much to see...not to mention that most quarries here don't offer Nitrox so you have to bring all your Nitrox with you which increases the cost

#15 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 11:56 PM

I guess it's harder to find boat captains who actually have a clue. Oh well.

Why wouldn't you use Nitrox in a murky quarry? I don' understand wha visibility has to do with gas choice. Maybe I'm just missing something here.

As for bringing your own, I always bring my own. Why is that more expensive? Do you mean it's actually cheaper to get gas on-site than bring it in yourself?

Here's a question. Are you guys paying for nitrox by the tank, or by the cubic foot?

-P

Perrone,

alot of boat captains will tell you how long you'll stay out of the water...it's a by-product of our sue-happy society

and I wouldn't dive Nitrox in a murky quarry either...the one's here in Texas have at best 5 to 10 vis and not much to see...not to mention that most quarries here don't offer Nitrox so you have to bring all your Nitrox with you which increases the cost

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users