• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Homework

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dad+2(.5)

dad+2(.5)

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cert Level:open water,nitrox
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:29 PM

:( :P :D Help! I brought my classwork home w/me thinking I could work on it from my PC .....but now I can't figure out how to get it into it and still be able to edit and such...I try'd to scan it but that just created a folder that can't be changed...I thought there was a way to copy it from the scanner/copier to my adobie reader but I'm just not grasping the concept I guess :D ....the class PC wouldn't download it to disk so its on paper :diver: .....please save me from my english teacher and I'll be forever gratefull!! :D
"Here's to woman! Would that we could fall into her arms without falling into her hands"Ambrose Bierce, quoted in Grattan's Bitter Bierce

#2 Twinklez

Twinklez

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:03 PM

:( :P :D Help! I brought my classwork home w/me thinking I could work on it from my PC .....but now I can't figure out how to get it into it and still be able to edit and such...I try'd to scan it but that just created a folder that can't be changed...I thought there was a way to copy it from the scanner/copier to my adobie reader but I'm just not grasping the concept I guess :D ....the class PC wouldn't download it to disk so its on paper :diver: .....please save me from my english teacher and I'll be forever gratefull!! :D

In order to scan it and be able to edit it, you have to have a program that does OCR to convert the scanned image to text. Most scanners come with some type of OCR software, so it's likely you have something like that. Look in the "Programs" list for your scanner software and see if there is something there that references OCR or text conversion. Often when converting an image to text you loose special formatting like indents and things like that.

Typically you would scan the file and it will become a graphic then you open the graphic with the OCR program; or...it may even be built right into your scan software so that as soon as the image appears on the screen you run the OCR feature on it to convert.

Your only other option is to type the whole thing...are you fast? :P

Edited by Twinklez, 21 June 2006 - 09:04 PM.

#3 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 22 June 2006 - 06:56 AM

I bought the full-blown Acrobat package, but $500+ was a little steep just to do the conversion and editing when I rarely use it. There's a free equivalent called PDFCreator for the conversion from DOC to PDF that doesn't include the OCR function, which you may already have with the scanner. It's frequently 'sold' on eBay but it's free at Sourceforge. I use it on one of my laptops.

One of the more highly rated scan > OCR > PDF/DOC programs is ABBYY FineReader Pro, at $400 which apparently has excellent recognition abilities.

#4 dad+2(.5)

dad+2(.5)

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cert Level:open water,nitrox
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 26 June 2006 - 09:19 PM

:banghead: :) :D Thanks for the help....I still dont know what is wrong w/the scanner so I told my instructor my PC ate it :lmao: like she never heard that one before :dance: and no I cant type worth beans so ya'll read this slow because thats how I type...slow!!! :dance:

Edited by dad+2(.5), 26 June 2006 - 09:23 PM.

"Here's to woman! Would that we could fall into her arms without falling into her hands"Ambrose Bierce, quoted in Grattan's Bitter Bierce

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users