• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

08/06 PNW HH & Dive - The search for the elusive six gill SHARKS!

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#1 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:58 PM

PNW SD DIVE - SATURDAY, AUGUST 19TH

Where:
COVE 2
When: 6:30pm (approx. dive times 7pm & 9pm)
Why: to search for the elusive six gill shark!
HH: Midnight Margaritas at gis_gal's

Who attended:
1. Dive_Girl (nicolle)
2. gcbryan (Gray)
3. fbp (Frank)
4. KevinPo (Kevin)

5. gis_gal (Colleen)
6. TonyL (Tony)
7. Diver_C (Rich)

8. morris0352 (Kyle)
9. Shane (dive_girl shop diver/friend)

10. Mike (dive_girl shop diver)
11. GlazingMcGyver (Steve)

12. boydski (Scott)
13. boydski (Scott's wife)

14. Wylerbear (Georgia)
15. REEF Diver (Valerie)

(dive teams that have appeared to form are noted in colors. I'll leave it up to the photographers to latch onto buddy teams.)

16. cmt489 (Michelle) - shore support, drink supervisor, and safety coordinator <- things are always better with cool titles...:P

DIVE SITE INFO
Located just South of downtown Seattle, Alki Cove 2 (Seacrest) is a dive site offering easy access and egress, toilet & changing facilities nearby, fresh water rinsing station and shower, free parking (on the shoulder or possibly in the parking lot of the Alki Crab & Fish Co.), food and drink nearby, and it is reportedly not current intensive.
Dive site map: click here
Dive site aerial photo: click here
Tides & current:: click here
Sunset: 7:14pm on 8/19/06

Location/Address: 1660 Harbor Ave SW, Seattle, WA - West Seattle

Directions:
1. Take the I-90 W ramp to Seattle - go 6.7 mi
2. Take the I-5 S exit 2B to Tacoma/Portland - go 1.3 mi
3. Take the W Seattle Br exit 163A - go 0.5 mi
4. Continue on West Seattle Brg - go 1.9 mi
5. Take the Harbor Ave ramp - go 0.3 mi
6. Turn right at Harbor Ave SW - go 1.3 mi
CLICK HERE FOR A STREET MAP

Posted ImageNotes of caution:
Each diver is personally responsible for avoiding the designated no dive zone areas at this site.
Each diver is personally responsible for dive planning and safety. Dive site info, dive site map, and informal dive site briefings are intended as a general overview only and not to be used in place of your own dive planning or for strict navigation purposes.
In other words, be a responsible respectful diver.

Posted Image
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#2 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 23 June 2006 - 05:05 PM

DG ~ I am in.. Let me know when and I will arrange things to join you.
July or August both work for me. I will be home this summer. :P
I quess I will have to go diving to keep myself out of trouble. :flirt:

Edited by gis_gal, 23 June 2006 - 05:06 PM.

Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#3 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:46 PM

My guess down in that area (unless it's boat dive) is Owens Beach :P

Edited by gcbryan, 23 June 2006 - 07:47 PM.

#4 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 24 June 2006 - 12:28 PM

dangit gcbryan - you are too good! :angel2: I will dive that site if I have a shot of seeing a 6gill!!! :wakawaka: What do you know about it - any good?

GG - I'll give you a hollar when I get back from diving in NC and we can figure out a good dive day and make it an SD party!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#5 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 01:53 PM

dangit gcbryan - you are too good! :D I will dive that site if I have a shot of seeing a 6gill!!! :cool1: What do you know about it - any good?

GG - I'll give you a hollar when I get back from diving in NC and we can figure out a good dive day and make it an SD party!

I know that it's the Tacoma site with the most sightings of sixgills. I also know that is where Scott and Tani shot their video.

Cove 2 has more sightings because more people dive there. All my sightings have been there.

If you don't see a sixgill at Owens Beach it's going to be one boring dive :D

July through October should be the peak season. I saw 4 in one week last October.

Gray

#6 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 03:05 PM

I will get my party shoes ready. I guess I had better make sure I have ice and the blender handy. :cool1:

#7 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 04:20 PM

GG, gcbryan, and other PNW divers (that's you too cmt489 & 6gill) - let's look at some August weekends. Check your calendars and let me know what weekends look open. I would shoot for a July weekend, but since I've been taking off so many nonteaching weekends I have to put time in the shop, plus I have one heck of an adventure coming up in July that includes a private boat, a request for private instructors, and the San Juans - trip report to come soon! :welcome:

We'll call it the PNW Hunt for six gills!

#8 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 01:19 AM

GG, gcbryan, and other PNW divers (that's you too cmt489 & 6gill) - let's look at some August weekends. Check your calendars and let me know what weekends look open. I would shoot for a July weekend, but since I've been taking off so many nonteaching weekends I have to put time in the shop, plus I have one heck of an adventure coming up in July that includes a private boat, a request for private instructors, and the San Juans - trip report to come soon! :banghead:

We'll call it the PNW Hunt for six gills!

At least as of now I'm pretty flexible for anytime in August. I would suggest that the dive(s) be done near dusk and that we hang out around 100 fsw at least. I would also suggest that someone be invited that has actually seen a sixgill at Owens Beach or at least is familiar with the exact location. I believe it's near the end of the beach toward Point Defiance North Wall and I believe that there are some barges there.

Since there is some luck involved I would also suggest that we do 2 dives.

I've only been to Ownes Beach once and went straight out to 100 fsw and all I saw was sand and Sea Stars.

Gray

I've attached 2 not so good pics. I need better UW camera equipment to do justice to anything other than macro :-D Sixgill1.jpg

Attached Images

• sixgill.jpg

Edited by gcbryan, 26 June 2006 - 01:28 AM.

#9 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 06:50 AM

August is looking good for me.
I have dove the North Wall a few times. Have never seen the barges but I don't think I have ever dove deeper then 80'.
I have not seen a 6 gill.

I don't think I qualify as that skilled person Gary thinks we need to bring along.

#10 TonyL

TonyL

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100

Posted 26 June 2006 - 07:01 AM

I think I may be available as well. I'll find out more details on my dates. In any case, I'd like to dive with you.

Colleen, I'll probably be diving my doubles. By the way, I sent you an e-mail at your work address.

Are the barges the Maury Island(?) Barges? I've done North Wall before but never Owens Beach.

Tony

#11 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 07:55 AM

No, it's not the Maury Island barges and I'm not sure it's even a barge. Maybe it's a platform, old sunken pier, whatever. I haven't seen it but it is underwater and at the opposite end of the beach from the entry. This beach is the closest beach to Point Defiance North Wall but it's not the same dive.

I'll be there whether we have a local "expert" or not but we should at least email Scott before the actual dive to get the exact location at Owens Beach where they are seeing the sixgills.

Gray

Edited by gcbryan, 26 June 2006 - 07:56 AM.

#12 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 10:47 AM

I don't think I qualify as that skilled person Gary thinks we need to bring along.

Whatever, you're bring your blender skills!

#13 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 10:49 AM

I'll be there whether we have a local "expert" or not but we should at least email Scott before the actual dive to get the exact location at Owens Beach where they are seeing the sixgills.

Maybe Scott will want to join us? We've never dove together yet, but I would like to. He did, however, give me detailed dive instructions as to where he sees them at Owen's Beach when we were all there for the Treasure Hunt.

#14 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 10:58 AM

I think I may be available as well. I'll find out more details on my dates. In any case, I'd like to dive with you.

That would be an excellent way for us to welcome you home Tony!! :banghead:

#15 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 11:04 AM

At least as of now I'm pretty flexible for anytime in August. I would suggest that the dive(s) be done near dusk and that we hang out around 100 fsw at least. I would also suggest that someone be invited that has actually seen a sixgill at Owens Beach or at least is familiar with the exact location. I believe it's near the end of the beach toward Point Defiance North Wall and I believe that there are some barges there.

Since there is some luck involved I would also suggest that we do 2 dives.

Sounds like the start of our dive day plan, now to figure out which weekend would be best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users