• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

NC in July '06 is hot!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic

#16 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:29 AM

Howard, thanks for that report. I, for one, appreciate your honest approach.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#17 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:38 AM

I'm glad to see everyone made it home safely. I got in yesterday afternoon after catching a nap someplace in NC; the down side is that I was up at 0400 this morning to get ready for work--yuck! I guess that's the price to pay for taking off during the week, but it was worth it.

Brian, I was about to thank you fr being a great dive buddy too, funny. I really couldn't have asked for a better buddy for this weekend. Hope to dive with you again. I'm going to plan a trip to the Great Lakes and will let you know some dates. Also, after this weekend and talking with you, Nicolle, Bill, Howard and Manny I may have to take my trimix class (maybe in Oct). Then I'll be set for the deeper, less visited wrecks.

Oh, by the way...did anyone see a sleeping bag roll while packing up. I had it when I got down there, but not when I unpacked. It may have been left in Dan and Brian's room...any such luck?

Talk to everyone soon.

Vinny

#18 Manny Dib

Manny Dib

Getting started

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Cavern
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:05 AM

I pretty much concur with everything Howard said.
Although the dive sites were nice and i enjoyed meeting everyone I was thoroughly dissapointed with this operation.
I feel I was ripped off by the captain who seemed to have no problem changing the rules at whim since he already had our money.
I would never have gone on this trip knowing what I know now even if it were free.
I will certainly warn my friends about this captain and operation.

#19 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:26 AM

:diver: Howard…sorry to hear about your trip. Last year the regular Captain Cox was out due to an accident. The Captain we had was great....I do not remember a single issue. Since I am an Air Hog even with a 120 :birthday: …I had bottom times up to 1-hour…..usually around 35 to 45 minutes. The only issue I had was that two hour trek out and back in rough choppy waters….I thought the diving was great especially on the Caribe Sea….loved those Sharks!
You must endeavor to pursue!

#20 KelpDiver

KelpDiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cert Level:DiveMaster, AED.CPR Instructor, Medic First
  • Logged Dives:300+ I stopped counting

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:38 PM

it truely was a blast, even though I was on the other boat :cheerleader: NC wreck diving blows that California stuff away!!!!

#21 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:40 PM

:cheerleader: LEE!!!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#22 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 08 July 2006 - 11:35 AM

it truely was a blast, even though I was on the other boat :)

Sure, rub our noses in it! :laugh:
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#23 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 08 July 2006 - 11:55 AM

reminder to those who partcipated in the DAN project Dive explore that you should have sent your 48 hour reports in yesterday(mine went in the mail today).

just as a reminder

Tooth

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#24 ASDmike

ASDmike

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:700ish

Posted 08 July 2006 - 02:04 PM

it truely was a blast, even though I was on the other boat :D

Sure, rub our noses in it! :D

Just when we were thinking Lee fit in so well to the group... :D

Did the cabana group perform the keel hull initiation ceremony?
'06 - Fireworks on History, Singles Fantasy
'07 - Ancient Egypt/Red Sea Liveaboard
'08 - Bonaire Singles Week ...In STYLE!!!

#25 ASDmike

ASDmike

• PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 02:47 PM

reminder to those who partcipated in the DAN project Dive explore that you should have sent your 48 hour reports in yesterday(mine went in the mail today).

Sorry Dan, I just beat your survey in :D

DAN Online 48Hr Report

#26 OTWdiver

OTWdiver

Meeting folks

• Removed Per User Request
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Cert Level:TECH DEEP Instructor, Prefer my single tank.
  • Logged Dives:Active every week since 1983

Posted 08 July 2006 - 05:55 PM

The trip reports will be confusing to most. The approach to this is to consider each individual's expectations.

Me? I had a BLAST! :D

Notes about this trip that may be useful for others on future trips:
I did not expect to have things repeated because I was late, or chose not to join the group. There are schedules. Everyone that visited the boat first evening was briefed by Kamala on the boat layout The crew and captain finished out details the next morning at 6:00AM. Boat departure schedule was 6:30. Waiting on others caused the boat to leave after 7:00AM. They missed out because of there pre dive plan.

Our 6:30 departure was not met and we were the third boat to arrive on the wreck. We get what we get. I think conditions were fine outside the u-boat. It was not the captain's fault we were third and the interior was kicked up. An on time departure day one would have put us on site first. I recall someone complaining about vis inside. The captain just enforced the departure rule day two to comply with this day one complaint. Short memory for the complaining diver.

I did not expect to make shorter dives because the Captain got bent and is paranoid about this. Who could have known there was a different person with the same name at the helm from the previous 12 years of this annual trip? I know his reputation and things are different now. I also missed out on my second dive day one, so I went snorkeling. I packed double 120's and O2. I was just over packed as it turned out. But I still had room under my seat for my gear.

I did not expect to have ten square foot of deck space to myself to spread out beyond the two foot under my seat. We put 18 divers on a deck for 20. I like to be near friends. This was no cattle boat.

I did not expect to be dry while sitting on deck, it’s the ocean, remember, WAVES HAPPEN. I personally could sleep reclined and saw five others spread out on the benches fully horizontal. I don’t mind sitting up to make room for others when it was needed only two times on the rough day, 3-4's. The boat has a wet deck. Some might have issues. It's not the keys or Caribbean it’s the graveyard of the Atlantic for a reason. The weather was far better than average for a four day trip. We were lucky to have had the luck.

I did not expect to work on the boat, but I did.
I am not just a sport diver. I just prefer to be one.
I am fully aware of the tasks with a fouled line in a prop. I am a Technical instructor, commercial diver, and a US Coast Guard captain. I have put my anchor line in the prop on more than one occasion. It is a fact it happens to everyone. We don’t like it but it happens. I get calls all times of the day to clear a prop from very seasoned captains. I was not asked to help, I volunteered. I know the danger of working under a boat and the miscommunication is expected. That is why I never turned loose of my grip until I verified the prop was finally placed in neutral. I never assume things like this. I could have been at risk without my experience but I am qualified to do what I volunteered to help with.

I know how easy it is to judge. Just find high ground and start.
The question is, can you take judgment?

Life is full of disappointments. We all have some from this trip. I prefer to remember the things that will bring me back time and time again on any SD trip. The crew deserved everyone to show appreciation for there efforts. They intervened to the captain as best they could. They handed fins to divers that jumped in without them and got nothing for that help. I don’t stiff a waiter because the cook messed up. If I get service and attention from the waiter he gets my TIP. There was no reason to stiff this CREW.
Shame on you Kamala, and HATS OFF to you, for putting in others share of the tip. This crew deserved it.
People should accept responsibility for there actions and not blame others. You should also pay Kamala back for doing what was the right thing to do.

I had the opportunity to dive with and enjoy the company of all 17 other divers. I learned something from each and every one of them,including the students. I share and love a common sport with each and every one. I am in instructor that teaches from experience more than any book. I learned a lot this trip. I am humbled.

Thanks to all at SD, the crew and fellow divers for the wonderful time and dives. :D
"Those who have never seen themselves surrounded on all sides by the sea can never possess an idea of the world, and of their relation to it" Goethe

#27 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 08 July 2006 - 06:41 PM

Who was the operator that was used this time? Last year I was on Diver Down, but I heard he wasn't running anymore. And neither is Seatales. I also dove with Olympus and they were great.

Edited by Fairybasslet, 08 July 2006 - 06:42 PM.

#28 OTWdiver

OTWdiver

Meeting folks

• Removed Per User Request
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Cert Level:TECH DEEP Instructor, Prefer my single tank.
  • Logged Dives:Active every week since 1983

Posted 08 July 2006 - 07:03 PM

I tried to fill out the DAN 48 hr report. Can anyone from the trip tell me the FRC's code. It is not on my form the spot is blank? The online document kicks it back without the code. :D
"Those who have never seen themselves surrounded on all sides by the sea can never possess an idea of the world, and of their relation to it" Goethe

#29 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 08 July 2006 - 07:14 PM

bill

i wasnt given a code but on my form i just put heather and juliana's names on the form.

tooth

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#30 ASDmike

ASDmike

• PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 07:18 PM

I tried to fill out the DAN 48 hr report. Can anyone from the trip tell me the FRC's code. It is not on my form the spot is blank? The online document kicks it back without the code. :D

Interesting, I put "Heather/Juliana" in for the FRC Name but left the FRC code blank. It took that and loaded a "thank you for your submission" page. (I don't have a FRC code either) Maybe a second try would do the trick?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users