• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

My first NC Wreck trip

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:06 PM

My dive report will be in four parts...yeah yeah, so I'm wordy and this was my first trip to NC. :) So if some of you are reading this and already know everything about these wrecks, fabulous! I didn’t, so I found it interesting to do the research and add it to my dive report.

Friday, 6/30/06
Jet lagged from a red eye in from Portland, Oregon - I met up with Kamala (WreckWench), Dan (Scubatooth), Karen (Scubanurse), Karl (Scubafanatic), Mike (ASDMike), and Gary (Dock). We traveled to Morehead City/Atlantic Beach from Raliegh, NC, stopping for a pulled pork sandwich along the way - ah it's good to be back in the south. Once we arrived, we checked in unloaded and met up with the rest of the gang: Vinny (VADiver), Brian (DiverBrian), Howard (ScubaDadMiami), Manny (MannyDib), Brian (Scubabjs), Bill (OTWDiver), Doris (areisno1), Joe (Vulture), Heather & Julianan - Dan Interns (their bios are featured in DAN's Alert Diver :cool1:), and John - our Cochran rep. We headed next door and had Mexican for dinner - hmmmm...I'm in the bunk house with 5 other people. Who's idea was it to have Mexican?? I was the first in bed - I hadn't caught a decent minute of sleep in almost 48 hours. I'm sure debauchery ensued after I left - since I wasn't there I just plan on making up stories later.

Topside quote of the day: “Hey! This isn't a beer, this is a taster! How 'come that guy over there got a real beer?” Hey guys, I thought size doesn't matter...:P

DAY 1 – Saturday, 7/1/06

Our departure time was 6:30am. Most of us got up between 5am-5:30am – to me that was a whopping 2am my time! Holy cow! But who cares!?? It’s all about the diving and you can sleep when yer dead! So with smile on my face I headed to the docks and shared my good morning mood with the other divers! I’m diving NC, baby! :teeth:

The ride out to the sites is about 2.5 hours as the wrecks are between 25-30+ miles offshore!! I got a tiny bit queasy, but my roommate Joe (Vulture) said he’d hold my hair back if I needed to get sick – aren’t SD roommates great?

Dive 1
The U-352
This was the one wreck I was asked most about when I returned. Even my own Dad knew about this wreck and asked if I got to dive it – mind you he never asks about these things. His comment about me diving? “Nicki, you don’t dive deep than 30’ do you? It’s dangerous” “Um, no Dad”

Posted Image

The U-352 is a 218 foot long German Submarine, Built in 1941. It was sunk April 9, 1942 by a depth charge from the United States Coast Guard Cutter "ICARUS" in a not so simple battle which involved many depth charges, the sub actually surfacing, and the Icarus opening fire on the wounded vessel. 33 crewmembers escaped from the sinking U-352 and 13 went down with the sub. This vessel is reported as the most intact and unique wreck in the area, a “signature dive” in the Morehead City area. The wreck rests on its starboard side in 110 feet of water.

My dive buddy wasn’t wreck penetration certified and I didn’t have a redundant air source, so I stayed outside the sub. To some, it may just be a crusted up tube laying on a bed of sand, but let me tell you it’s still pretty wild looking at a sub lying in the sand! I also had the cool vantage point when my bottom time was done to be right over Vinny (VADiver) and Brian (DiverBrian) as they penetrated the sub. Vinny went right in and Brian, with larger doubles, had to turn turn turn and corkscrew in – it was actually quite thrilling watching them disappear. Even more so when the great white followed them in….ok just kidding. Wanted to see if you kids were still reading.

Dive 2
The USCG SPAR
The SPAR was a 180 foot long Coast Guard Cutter. She was commissioned in 1944 and accumulated an interesting history including traveling to South America to assist in the war effort in support of anti-submarine warfare and later traveling to several Nordic countries before being decommissioned on February 28, 1997. She was then sunk as an artificial reef on June 17, 2004. She sits upright affording divers a fine wreck diving site.

I was one of the first divers to drop onto the site and not far from the anchor I spotted my first Sand Tiger. It was a small juvenile about 3’ long. Did you know they have spots!?? So cool – that simply made my dive.

Posted Image

Evening activities - an excellent dockside BBQ put on by the WreckWench. We had marinated chicken, pork, steak, and salmon (each in a unique marinade – now tell me that’s not service!) together with side dishes that included a wonderful medley of steamed veggies. The dinner entertainment was proivided by Howard (ScubaDadMiami) who explained rebreathers in wonderful detail demonstrating with his personal rebreather!

Topside quote of the day: “My people picked olives!”
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#2 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:24 PM

DAY 2 – Sunday, 7/2/06

Dives 1 & 2
The PAPOOSE
Originally name the Silvanus, the Papoose, a 412 foot American Tanker, was refitted after a damaging wreck on the Mississippi and used as a gasoline tanker during the war. On the night of March 3rd, 1942 she was running empty and completely blacked out to hide from patrolling U-Boats close to the NC shoreline. She wasn’t, however, running a zig-zag course and the German Submarine U-124 locked in on her and took her down with two torpedoes. All but two crew members survived. She sank intact and upside down with the hull rising approx. 30 ft. off the bottom of the 125 ft deep seabed.

This wreck is a reported breeding ground for Atlantic Sand Tiger Sharks. The crew told me this was the wreck to see sharks at. “What you want to do Nicolle, is drop down and swim straight out from the bow about 75’ and that’s when you’ll see them – tons of them just hanging off the wreck…watching” Although I suspiciously thought - huh this must be what they tell all ding dong divers new to NC diving and the joke is going to be on me somehow. You know what? They didn’t lie.

Posted Image

I buddied up with Gary (Dock) on this dive and I simply don’t think I could have found a better dive buddy. Turns out Gary and I have similar gear, are at the same technical dive level, and have extremely similar dive styles. He was excellent and ended up being just as nuts as I was. I shot down the line fixed at the bow right into a group of sand tiger SHARKS – I counted more than 10. I wanted more! I broke away from the bow just like the crew told me and much to my surprise, at my side was my dive buddy Gary!! :cool1: I think he was really just after my gear... We dove amongst 10+ sharks with Gary going nose-to-nose with a 5 footer. They ranged in size from >5' to about 10' - I'd say 12' but I think with the fact that everything looks bigger in the water and diver exaggeration, I'd get called on it! :teeth:

On my second dive I dove into a swirling group of Spade fish so thick I couldn’t see outside the school for quite sometime – it was simply surreal. Finally as they lessened a bit and I drifted out of the school there were the sharks again! Now mind you when I shared this tid bit with one of my dive buddies and co-instructors here, he said “hmmmm sound like you were in a BAIT BALL!!” He might be right, but sharks don’t know anything about Oreos…:) There were also several Lion Fish!! Another first for me. So cool! And one spotted moray eel hanging out right by the anchor line.

During the dive I did notice my dive buddy's reg making a funny nose periodically...a sort of honking like when the diaphram flutters against pressure - I made a note to tell him topside. Topside, he mentioned he'd heard the same thing and thought my reg (well Vinny's now Stroked up DIR reg I had to borrow since my took a tumble) was making the same noise. Turns out it wasn't our regs, instead that fog horn honking sound we heard is the sound a Toad Fish makes! Now the hunt was on for Toad Fish sightings...

Evening activities – an impromptu group of us headed for ice cream (yes - before dinner) and coffee resembling many a scene from Friends, guess who our Joey was….:P

Next up, another excellent dockside BBQ put on by the WreckWench but hosted by John, our Cochran rep, who treated us to fresh shrimp and clams together with side dishes that included fresh corn on the cob! John provided dinner entertainment by explaining the various new Cochran computer models that many on the trip were demo diving. Brian (Scubabjs) surprised with an all American favorite – apple pie! It was sinful! We also made a modified version of s’mores with chocolate graham crackers, strawberries and marshmallows!

Topside quote of the day: “Touch my monkey! Touch my monkey! No, don’t touch my monkey! Let’s dance!”

My typing hands hurt, day 3 & 4 to come...:P
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#3 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 11 July 2006 - 07:27 PM

Now my reg makes noise! :cool1:

Oh, I feel so unworthy....

#4 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:50 PM

lol - it was the toad fish making the noise. And besides, I would think your regs breathe better now that a stroke dove them right! *running and ducking now*

#5 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 15 July 2006 - 05:44 AM

Another great quote:

"But I got a picnic table :cool2: ." I forget what day that was.

Oh, and we valiantly fought off that Great White that followed us into the sub, LOL. That was an epic battle. Either that our he got stuck in that tight entry area. If you thought that entry way was tight, you should have seen the restrictions into more interior compartments. If I get a chance to go in there again, I'll be using my double 100's not those huge E8-130's.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#6 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 15 July 2006 - 12:37 PM

Friday, 6/30/06
Jet lagged from a red eye in from Portland, Oregon - I met up with Kamala (WreckWench), Dan (Scubatooth), Karen (Scubanurse), Karl (Scubafanatic), Mike (ASDMike), and Gary (Dock). We traveled to Morehead City/Atlantic Beach from Raliegh, NC, stopping for a pulled pork sandwich along the way - ah it's good to be back in the south.

Educated guess time.... did you eat at Wilbur's BBQ just outside of Goldsboro?

#7 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 05:11 PM

Why yes I think that's where we stopped! It's WreckWench's favorite stopping place!

#8 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 15 July 2006 - 06:34 PM

Why yes I think that's where we stopped! It's WreckWench's favorite stopping place!

I grew up in Goldsboro and I found out recently that she lived there for a while as well. Just the name Wilbur's makes me hungry :banghead:

#9 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 15 July 2006 - 06:37 PM

Yep WW had us stop there in 2004 also.

she must be getting a kickback or a free sandwich :D

Sounds like you :diver: had alot of Fun :banghead:
Did you stop at the wreck of the Shures ?

B2B
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#10 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Cert Level:aow/nitrox
  • Logged Dives:absolutly no idea

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:06 PM

sounds like you had a good time! I wish i could have made it, but it just didnt work out. Maybe the wench will decide to dive some Hatteras wrecks one of these days!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users