• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

The Florida Dive of the Month!!!

• Please log in to reply
561 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 30 December 2005 - 02:28 AM

Hey Florida...

After doing the Florida Dive Show a few weeks ago, we decided to do a FLORIDA DIVE OF THE MONTH someplace different each month in Florida. Florida has such diverse diving that you could dive from one end of the state to the other and never tire of the diversity of diving....nor the awesome single and buddyless divers that are SD.com members!

So come on down Florida...what are you waiting for???

January FL Dive of the Month: Ginnie Springs Jan 14-16...come dive or come and learn! (Everything you wanted to know about Tech diving but didn't want to go to Boot Camp to learn! Click here for all the details!

February: Its the Manatees...click here for all the details!

March: Dates are March 15-19 but the destination is not set...we need ideas around the Miami area for Liz one of our members coming to join us! Who wants to dive with her???
Click here for the thread on this trip!

Plan for each additional month...see below

Each month we'll do an SD Singles & Buddyless Dive of the Month. It will typically be for 1 day of diving but can be set up if we have enough people interested in 2 days or both morning and afternoon dives. Each dive will have a dive leader who will help coordinate the dives, work with the operator and be our local Floridian contact. If you are interested in helping coordinate a dive for us, contact me for further information!

So where to next?

Deerfield?
Miami?
Key Largo?
Ft Lauderdale?
WPB?
Boytan Beach?
Venice Beach for sharkteeth fossils?
Other?

April: TBD

May: In May we are doing a 4 day Florida Liveaboard over Memorial Day Weekend. Full details will be posted soon...both Floridians and non-Floridians are encouraged to try this unique Florida Diving experience. We'll depart from Ft Lauderdale and go N or S or even to the Bahamas...and return after 4 glorious days of diving up and down the coast 4 days later. Full details and sign up list will be available soon. (The liveaboard only carries 8 passengers so this will fill fast!)

June: TBD

July: TBD

Aug: TBD

Sept: TBD

Oct: TBD

Nov: TBD

Dec: TBD

Edited by Desert_Diver, 19 May 2006 - 08:22 AM.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 30 December 2005 - 07:43 AM

Good idea.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#3 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 30 December 2005 - 08:07 AM

My vote would be Key Largo, Ramada Express, Horizon Divers...

Norm

Hey Florida...

After doing the Florida Dive Show a few weeks ago, we decided to do a FLORIDA DIVE OF THE MONTH someplace different each month in Florida. Florida has such diverse diving that you could dive from one end of the state to the other and never tire of the diversity of diving....nor the awesome single and buddyless divers that are SD.com members!

So come on down Florida...what are you waiting for???

February: Where do you want to dive next???

Deerfield?
Miami?
Key Largo?
Ft Lauderdale?
WPB?
Boytan Beach?
Venice Beach for sharkteeth fossils?
Other?

#4 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 09:14 AM

Where the dive will be in February doesn't matter if you're planning to hit all locations on a rotating basis. If the February dive isn't where you want to be, a future dive will be. I'd suggest staying out of the Gulf from mid November through mid May unless you have folks willing to dive cold water.

DSSW,

WWW™

#5 nextariel

nextariel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 30 December 2005 - 05:15 PM

What a great idea!
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#6 Lady Liz

Lady Liz

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Board Status:do not delete any message
  • Cert Level:Advanced & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 04 January 2006 - 09:03 AM

What a great idea!

Yes this is a great idea and I would be interested in Key Largo march 15th to 18th. I come throu Miami on my return from Honduras but I would love to dive a few days before returning to Montreal...it would be only a question of changing my flight. Let me know if it is possible.
Formerly 'Liz' but wow 'Lady Liz' thanks to Stephane & Galapagos!

#7 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 09:38 AM

Regardless of if the March dive of the month fits your schedule, we can get a group of Florida divers to dive with you while you're here.

DSSW,

WWW™

#8 sunshinediver

sunshinediver

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor trainer with SEI and CMAS; HSA (divers with disabilities) and DAN instructor; tech
  • Logged Dives:2312

Posted 05 January 2006 - 12:00 AM

Awesome idea! My vote for February is to dive with the manatees, which will be around the Crystal River/ Homosassa Springs area. :P

#9 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:45 AM

Mikey W at Am Pro in Crystal RIver is ALWAYS trying to hook me into the Homasassa dive instead of (or WITH) the CR venue...

nhb

Awesome idea! My vote for February is to dive with the manatees, which will be around the Crystal River/ Homosassa Springs area. :P

#10 HalfFish

HalfFish

Getting started

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cert Level:Enthusiastic Beginner, OW Jan 05
  • Logged Dives:15

Posted 05 January 2006 - 02:17 PM

I just went diving in Crystal Springs this week, Manatees were there, despite warmer weather but you can't touch them when diving, or 'chase' them- basically what I was told is 'NO diving with Manatees'- just snorkeling. I hear the fines are high.

In the Springs the water temp is always 72, dives are shallow- usually less than 30 ft, but there are exceptions. A 3 mil suit keeps me fine for at least an hour.

#11 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 02:35 PM

HalfFish,

Seeing as this is your first post...

:cool2: to SD!

#12 sunshinediver

sunshinediver

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor trainer with SEI and CMAS; HSA (divers with disabilities) and DAN instructor; tech
  • Logged Dives:2312

Posted 05 January 2006 - 02:56 PM

I just went diving in Crystal Springs this week, Manatees were there, despite warmer weather but you can't touch them when diving, or 'chase' them- basically what I was told is 'NO diving with Manatees'- just snorkeling. I hear the fines are high.

In the Springs the water temp is always 72, dives are shallow- usually less than 30 ft, but there are exceptions. A 3 mil suit keeps me fine for at least an hour.

Welcome, HalfFish!

The water temps are always great there, but you ARE allowed to swim with the manatees in most areas...you are just not allowed to molest them. I have dived with the mantees before with different SCUBA clubs, and it is awesome. Normally we just rent a pontoon boat and go to where we want, but there are several tour operators out there, too.

:cool2:

#13 HalfFish

HalfFish

Getting started

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cert Level:Enthusiastic Beginner, OW Jan 05
  • Logged Dives:15

Posted 05 January 2006 - 03:26 PM

Thx for the welcomes!
I am new to all this, just got cert last year, now looking to get involved here as my 'regular' buddies who take me out on their boats on the Gulf seem too busy these days and me feet are getting too dry!
It's funny to me that my deepest dive has been during my cert- at Manatee Springs (high water table, etc). I still like those 2 Springs a lot.

It WAS great to throw my gear on again after what seems like forever (probably 'only' 3 mos).

thx for the links. I've gone with Birds before, bought gear at Am Pro, so I'm acquainted with several shops. This time I just took a John boat and explored on my own. I'm ready to get wet again, I really love this sport! I just need a dive buddy!

#14 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 04:11 PM

was there middle Dec...assuming you get an early boat that goes to Kings Spring, the manatees will RUSH you...no problem with getting them to initiate the Contact...good ops snorkel first, then do the one-tanker in the Cavern...

Norm

#15 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 05 January 2006 - 04:56 PM

How about the last weekend in Feb 25-26th? I would love to see the manatees.
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users