• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Considering a new BCD

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 drifter

drifter

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:59 PM

So this is a decision I've been mulling over for about a year now. My "old" bc is a Seaquest Pro xlt and is in great shape. It's about 6 years old and has been through roughly 80 dives. I love (or have adapted to) most of the features it has (good sized pockets, the integrated weight pouches seem to stay in well, it seems to be pretty well built, and it keeps me afloat after the dive :) It's served me very well and I have no doubts that it will continue to do so as long as I want it to. However, this thing is a BEAST for travelling purposes.

It will easily fill 2/3rds of the main compartment on my fairly large dive bag. I can squish some small stuff around it, but it's still pretty crowded. Last year, Tonya bought a new BC, and the size/weight comparison is silly. That's when I started the internal debate about acquiring a new one.

I know that the old one will be viable for quite a while still, but I hate having to micromanage the contents of my checked bag because my BC is taking up a large percentage of the allowed weight and available volume. I don't travel with that much stuff! :D

I've looked around a bit, but other than the BC I used during my OW dives and on my first diving trip, this is the only BC I've worn while diving. So, I am looking for input from the greater intellect of SD:

1) Am I just being dumb, and should I stick with what I have?
2) Do the lighter BC's have close to the durability that this one appears to have?
3) Any recommendations? (I know everybody has a different one, but it doesn't hurt to ask, right?)

Considerations:
All of my recent diving (last 3 years) has been warm water.
If all goes well, I'm hoping to begin working on my DM this summer, so the above would probably change at that point.

Thanks for any advice!

Scott

Edited by drifter, 19 February 2012 - 03:10 PM.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
"Not all those who wander are lost."
~JRR Tolkien

• Guests

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:13 PM

Scott
Take a look at the Hollis Ride. I got one for Christmas and I am suitably impressed. About 40 lbs lift and only 6 lbs in the bag. There is a 23 lb lift version also. Seems to be built very study also and you can put a plate on it if you want to. I got the tank weight pockets for mine. That puts 10 lbs right on my back. The harness is not flimsy at all although the bladder is a little thinner material.

My backplate was too heavy for travel so I understand completely..

#3 scubaski

scubaski

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:14 PM

I use this Zeagle for all my diving (always tropical). Well over 200 dive on it. I have the optional comfort pads and inflator/2nd octo option. I purchased the optional weight pockets but have recently been leaving the pockets at home and using dive boat/operator weight belts. If you purchase the correct style fins & carry on bag you can fit your entire dive kit(except knife)from fins to BC on the airplane.

http://www.zeagle.co...9/Express-Tech/

ScubaPro has a nice travel BC. My local dive buddies swear by it. I would purchase this model if anything should happen to my Zeagle as I already own the Air Source 2 that I have on my ScubaPro QD.

http://www.scubapro....s/litehawk.aspx
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#4 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:33 PM

I'd like to pose a question. how much do any of these actually weigh? I have one of the travel luggage scales that you can get here on SD and I'm going to go weigh my aluminum BP/single wing combo and see what it weighs. I have weight pockets installed so It's a good measure of what I tote around. I'd like to see how many rigs we can get actual weights on. A very interesting question.

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#5 drifter

drifter

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

That was a great reality check question Jerry.

Using the bathroom scale:

my Seaquest Pro xlt BC added ~10 lbs
Tonya's Sherwood Luna added ~5.5 lbs.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
"Not all those who wander are lost."
~JRR Tolkien

#6 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:07 PM

I'd like to pose a question. how much do any of these actually weigh? I have one of the travel luggage scales that you can get here on SD and I'm going to go weigh my aluminum BP/single wing combo and see what it weighs. I have weight pockets installed so It's a good measure of what I tote around. I'd like to see how many rigs we can get actual weights on. A very interesting question.

I just went down and weighed my rig. I have an Aluminum Backplate, OMS comfort harness with several heavy duty D-rings, HOG single wing, and OMS STA. It also has a back pad, Halcyon weight pockets, lift bag sleeve, and two small knives. It is ready to go. It weighed 14 lbs as set up. my double wing alone goes 3.6 lbs and the HOG wing and STA by them selves are 5.1.

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#7 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

Well, you guys made me curious, so I had to check mine! :D

I wear the Zeagle Zena (sorry Scott, it's made for the female figure!) and I've added a couple of sturdy metal D-rings and a Zeagle pocket, which has my new knife sheath affixed to it. It comes with 2 tank bands, 2 tank weight pockets & 2 over-the-hip zip weight pockets, all dump-able with the pull of a handle. I took the knife out of the sheath to weigh the BCD.

Got out my handy SD.com scale, and even though the BCD is still drying out from my pre-trip pool checkout of my gear yesterday, the Zena weighed in at 5.7 lbs with the minor additions I've made to it.

It is NOT considered a travel BCD since it's a bit bulky, but it does squish nicely and I can pack stuff in & around it easily. My checked bag rarely weighs 50 lbs, unless I'm going somewhere for 2 weeks and need extra clothes.
Posted Image

#8 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:12 AM

Scott,
I appreciate your quest.As I had replaced my Mares Vector 1000/Jacket style. I was looking for more room & not feeling sufficated by the jacket style..After reviewing :weight & style.I decided on the Hollis HD100. Bladder style Wt 9 lbs.Lift cap is 35 -40 lbs. Depending on if b/c is a Med or Lg. It is designed for Rec or if your leaning into Tech. lots a rings & has pockets.The Scuba pro Knight Hawk Bladder style & Oceanic were very close contenders.Lift capacity & wt.

I know the subject of both styles of B/C's have been discussed here. Getting used to the Bladder vs jacket is not as hard as one might think...
Good luck with your decision.
Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#9 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:19 PM

I use a ScubaPro KnightHawk for rec diving and a DiveRite Transpac (No plate) and pair of Hollis X Series wings for technical stuff. The KnightHawk is fine, but being a back inflation system it tends to push me forward all the time on the surface. Under the water it is perfect.

Not sure about weight. Will use my swanky SD luggage scale on them for official numbers.

Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#10 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:12 PM

The best compromise I recall seeing for diving and flying was a jacket model by Cressi. Extremely robust and long-lasting - a friend's has done maybe 2000 dives equivalent in warm chrorinated water on film sets, and although all the colour has gone it's still structurally like new.

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,719 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:21 AM

Scott are you trying to reduce weight or bulk? I have 10# setup that INCLUDES a 5# steel backplate so that I have weight on my back and not around my waist. It takes up very little space in my bag as it is a plate, wing and harness. There is no bulk.

So if you want to reduce bulk then you probably have options. If you want to reduce weight without giving up functionality then you may still have an option or two. If you want to reduce wight but not lose functionality then you can possibly achieve some benefit by using the Hollis or Cressi. (BOTH companies are partners so if you go that route let us help you with purchasing).

However the real question is... for the amt of diving you do (or expect to do) will the decrease in weight?? offset the price of a new bc? Or will the decrease in space/bulk you save offset the price of a new bc?

I will say that most of the travel bc's or ultralight ones do not for me give me enough structure to dive. Others love them. So its hard to advise someone.

I do know that you have a very good set up but as you say its bulky. If you were diving alot and space/weight were critical then I'd say go for it. But if you do 1 trip a year and you really love/like your bc then I'd just deal with it.

Not sure this helped...let us know you are trying to accomplish and we can give you better input. Good question!

p.s Over the years many companies have partnered with us so if you do decide to upgrade let us know! We'd love to help you save some money and support our partners! Kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#12 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:12 PM

my current single tank setup consists of a 2lb backplate, harness, 2 OMS metal cam bands, lift bag sleeve with bag inside, and a DR venture wing...this weighs 8.5lbs and is pretty compact; one of the things I've researched more is not changing my BC but changing my luggage so that the bag itself weighs less to begin with; some bags can weigh as much as 10lbs or more before you put anything in it. I have a checked bag that weighs around 3lbs which means I can take whatever I want/need vs making compromises with my gear
  • Mermaid Lady likes this

#13 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:53 PM

And I thought my 8lb duffle was light weight! What is the make/model of your checked bag, Kimmie?
Posted Image

#14 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:01 PM

my current single tank setup consists of a 2lb backplate, harness, 2 OMS metal cam bands, lift bag sleeve with bag inside, and a DR venture wing...this weighs 8.5lbs and is pretty compact; one of the things I've researched more is not changing my BC but changing my luggage so that the bag itself weighs less to begin with; some bags can weigh as much as 10lbs or more before you put anything in it. I have a checked bag that weighs around 3lbs which means I can take whatever I want/need vs making compromises with my gear

A checked bag with inline wheels?? Inquiring mind want to know more. I found a no-name wheeled duffle @ 7.5 pounds for under $30 at ( who would have guessed) Bed, Bath & Beyond.
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#15 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:10 PM

the bags I use are Asaks...and you can find them at eBags.com. I have 1 of the big, no wheels bags, 1 of the large duffle bags and a carry on; I rarely use the carry on one; I will say that the wheeled bag is really nice and the non-wheeled one can be a real PITA. I only use the non-wheeled one if I have to take ALOT of dive gear, otherwise I use the wheeled duffle for my gear and a Samsonite Lite hardside for other stuff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users