• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Photo Sticks

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TCdamsel

TCdamsel

Angel & Charter SD Supporter

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Board Status:Planning my next dive trip!
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:41 PM

This post is actually about two things and I couldn't figure out how to separate them so here goes:

When I was a new diver with horrible buoyancy, WW gave me a photo stick so I wouldn't destroy the reef. Luckily I improved, and one trip later, I didn't need the stick to stay off the reef. Didn't use it again. Fast forward 250 dives later and I'm using a camera now. Said photo stick came in handy. Tonight I was on ScubaBoard looking (lurking :) ) for information. I rarely-to-never post on SB because of the way people treat posters. It is ridiculous. I ran across a 3 year old thread about photo sticks that made me think twice:SB link

If I had better buoyancy, then I should not need that photo stick at all... and it goes on and on for 12 pages/120 posts... I had no idea some divers felt so strongly/negatively about a simple photo stick. Granted, there are behaviors like excessive tank banging, doing harm to the wildlife, or stirring up silt that I know not to do.

The OP was a newer diver at the time, and now she is into DIR. She posted years later that the experience of being flamed on that thread "nearly sent her away from (that) rude opinionated website".

This brings me to my second topic - maybe I should start another thread: Why do SDers think divers are so awful to other divers, particularly those with less experience than they have?? There are some genuinely nice people on ScubaBoard, but they are in minority. I'm not willing to subject myself to the reprimands and sarcasm. :dontthinkso: I also found a thread on SB called Why are we so mean?. So I want to know what you guys think. Whenever I go on a dive trip without SingleDivers, I'm hypersensitive to the fact that so many experienced divers are so critical, and I'm always wondering, what am I doing that someone will find fault with? On my last trip, I heard way too many snarky comments by my fellow divers about my fellow divers :tears: .

NOTE: To comment on Ellen's question about "snarky" divers please do so HERE.

Edited by WreckWench, 13 April 2012 - 07:24 AM.

Every man and woman is born into the world to do something unique and something distinctive and if he or she does not do it, it will never be done.Benjamin E. Mays

Have a question...get an answer. Email: angels@singledivers.com

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,684 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:39 AM

YES the best photographers do not need a photo stick...BUT not every situation is ideal. If you have recently changed depth to take a shot your bouyancy will be off and by the time you dial it in..the critter may be gone or you've lost your spot.

Using a heavy camera that requires both hands will demand you master your bouyancy but even dive pros like our own ScubaShafer use a photo stick. Anyone want to challenge him on his bouyancy? He'll put you to shame in flat NY Minute!

Photo sticks help get the perfect shot quicker and they are used in one of the world's most premier resorts EVERY DAY which is Wakatobi.

So forget the bs and use an aid when you need it and skip it when you don't. Just ask Tammy aka landlocked dive nut or myself? Neither of us need them yet you'll ALWAYS see us using them for pictures. Why? They are like an insurance policy and I never leave home with out them!

As for why divers are so snarky...let's break that off into another topic. Thank you! kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:43 AM

RE: Photo Sticks
My opinion is that people that use photo sticks are better off using it; they are using it because they do desire to reduce impact, and it helps them accomplish that. Compared to boat anchors, insufficiently treated sewage, spearfishing, I think photo sticks do 0 damage. A fraction of lobster divers I have witnessed do more damage to the reef than everything else I have ever seen combined and multiplied by 20.

Edited by Racer184, 13 April 2012 - 06:45 AM.

#4 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:05 AM

I find it odd that anyone would object to someone using a photo stick, unless someone is using it to position or otherwise harass the wildlife. If anyone is using the stick for that purpose, I say next surface interval you find their stick and toss it overboard so they can't poke at the critters anymore. :cool2:

Underwater photography requires a diver to have 100% control, not only of themselves but also their imaging system. You know what? I have NEVER DIVED with ANYONE who had 100% control, 100% of the time. Anyone who claims otherwise is not being truthful. It is an unattainable goal, since the ocean is dynamic and we are a) out of our element and slow to react, and b) otherwise concentrating on getting a good photo and slow to react.

I tend to prefer macro photography, which means getting close to my subjects with the camera gear that I own. If I exhale at the same time the ocean surges, I'd be on the reef unless I have my photo stick in use.

Let people argue about photo stick usage if they want to waste their time. I'm using my photo stick because I want to ensure that I do not hurt the very things I'm trying to capture on my images.
Posted Image

#5 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

I've never used a photo stick but in Red Sea diving many people use reef hooks to hold themselves in place in a current without working hard. They have the same impact as a photo stick, with a very small contact area. So long as they're positioned carefully they cause no discernable damage, and I have no problem with using them.

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,684 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:08 AM

I have seen so many divers use HANDS, FLASHLIGHTS, and ANYTHING ELSE THEY ARE HOLDING IN THEIR HANDS to ensure they get a good shot...even otherwise good divers.

The photostick is an excellent tool and no I do not use is on every shot but when trying to get close to the marine life...it sure comes in handy and why waste effort trying to perfectly dial in bouyancy if you have a line waiting behind you?

Just use the stick and take your shots and go... its that simple and they are cheap... $20 and you can have your very own HERE.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#7 scubajunkie6

scubajunkie6

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Nitrox certified
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:58 PM

I got asked why I carried a photos stick on a dive in which I didn't have my camera. I have the silver stainless steel one (not aluminum), attached to a retractor clip. My answer was that not only is it used for photography, but it is also the best tank banger around. It's helpful for just pointing out things to others and also, it is great for digging in the sand to watch the garden eels in a stronger current, for example. I think it is a great tool for all divers, and not specific to photographers.

#8 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:58 AM

I have only used my photo stick a few times, mostly to hold me in place while in current. I had to use it once where the garden eels were very abundant....then I felt like a murderer!!
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users