• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Suggestions for how to proceed with cert process?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 C-Food

C-Food

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Cert Level:in training (beginner)

Posted 11 August 2006 - 10:20 AM

OK, I'll say Hiya again!

I'm mid-way through trying to get certified - I've just had too many obstacles in my way here lately which have prevented me from finishing and getting that ol' C card!

Here's my tale so far: I've always been a water lover, either on the surface or under it. I'm a pretty good swimmer having gone through every level of swimming classes when I was young, and then later when I became a Life Guard and swimming instructor for kids (yes, I've got some interesting stories about kid's swimming classes!). I was on the swim team in high school, but when it conflicted with my competitive rifle shooting, I opted for the rifle team. In college, I played around a little in the water, and did some water polo to keep my competitive juices flowing, but that was about it. Then, about 4 yrs ago, I went to Cozumel for the first time. I had friends down there and spent a glorious vacation playing with the timeshare salesmen and snorkeling at Chankanaab. The fish were just amazing! My birthday was spent on a resort course a few days later, and it was such a blast I decided to go for it when I got home and get certified. I probably should have done the certification while I was in Cozumel, but there was way too much drinking I needed to catch up on and a limited time to do it - it was my birthday after all!

When I got back home, I went to my LDS and signed up for class. I paid for the take-home video and book section and completed that part. When it was time to take the pool section of class, I went to the LDS to pay for it and find out the dates for the in-pool session. The instructor at the counter told me they were having a class that day if I wanted to go ahead and sign up, so I said sure, no problem. Then, I had to fill out the questionaire. I checked "yes" to a couple of things it asked about - in my case the yes answers were to back pain (self-inflicted, but not medically treated), sinusitis (a family legacy), and headaches (I stare at a computer all day, go figure). So, it turns out I couldn't take the pool session until I got a Dr.'s OK. I thought this was only going to be a minor inconvenience, but the universe dictated otherwise. My old Dr. was not on our insurance plan so I was going to have to get someone else in network. A lot of the in- network Dr's were not taking new patients, so I decided to wait.

Then came Katrina. I suppose there's some sort of inborn thing about me that makes me give money to the homeless, volunteer for charities, and try to do something for my fellow man (or woman). When the evacuations were starting to fill up the shelters in Houston and Dallas on Labor Day weekend, I told myself I couldn't sit around drinking beer while all those people were suffering - I volunteered for the Red Cross Disaster Team and got assigned to the Convention Center. When I wasn't working at my job, I was at the shelter until the situation was stabilized and our New Orleans guests were taken care of.

I thought after that, I would have time to get back to the problem at hand and get certified. No such luck. My father came down with a terminal condition and his health was spiraling down rapidly. I had enough time to make peace with him before he left, but was exhausted in the end. That brings me to the present - and I STILL haven't located a Dr. to give me the AOK to take the pool session. I'm at a standstill until I do that, and I'm not even sure if the LDS will honor the fact that I already paid for the pool section even though I didn't complete it. I sent them an email but never got an answer. I hope I don't have to pay again, but as soon as I can, I intend to join the pond. Whew! Sorry that took so much typing! Just had to state my case!

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,594 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:33 AM

Hiya C-food!

I see you are in Dallas so that should be able to help since we know most of the shops here. Let us know the shop you have started your classes with and I'm sure they will be reasonable and work with you. Dive shop personnel change alot and so you may have reached someone that wasn't working in the store when you signed up. Do you still have some receipt of your payment? That will always help.

As for all the trials and tribulations...I certainly wished that instructors would say that any condition you list you'll need a doc's ok for. That would prepare people for what they will encounter. But if we can help you in anyway just let us know. You won't be a non-diver for long!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 15 August 2006 - 10:23 AM

As for all the trials and tribulations...I certainly wished that instructors would say that any condition you list you'll need a doc's ok for. That would prepare people for what they will encounter. But if we can help you in anyway just let us know. You won't be a non-diver for long!

While I do believe instructors should take the time to discuss medical statements, medical forms (for example the one I use), clearly state:

"Please answer the following questions on your past or present medical history with a YES or NO. If you are not sure, answer YES. If any of these items apply to you, we must request that you consult with a physician prior to participating in scuba diving. Your instructor will supply you with an RSTC Medical Statement and Guidelines for Recreational Scuba Diver’s Physical Examination to take to your physician."

C-Food, I am sorry to hear of your diving delay but it is good to see you are follow up safely keeping your health and safety a priority! For divers without family/regular physicians, I typically recommend looking for a local clinic.

In regards to your paid pool section, I would recommend calling the shop and talking with them directly. Good luck!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users