• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Handicapped Scuba Association Training

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:11 PM

HSA Buddy Course – April 25-27 Athens TX

Instructor – Marty aka justscuba

Class size – 8 divers

Certs required to take this class: You must be a certified OW diver. In addition, you must be certified as a Rescue Diver if you want to work with quadripelegic divers ie they do not have use of their hands or legs.

Class Layout – Saturday AM – Classroom instruction; Saturday PM – Pool work; Sunday AM – Pool work if needed or Open Water Practice. Plan to be at Athens Scuba Park no later than 8am on Saturday, April 26th, ready for classroom activities/diving!

Class Requirements:
2 pool sessions
2 OW sessions

Cost - $100 including books, PIC, Pool and Open Water training, prepaid or $150 at the door; Marty will bring the books with him for the class; we will not collect money until we have 8 divers for the class.

Misc - Marty will need 2 pictures for the certification card; I'll bring my digital camera as well for pictures!

Not included in the price – admission to Athens Scuba Park: $15 for diving per day; $5 a night for camping; Hotel/Motel costs; Food for the weekend; air fills - $5.00 Air Only Nitrox is not available; Rentals are additional – Tanks are $15 and weights are $5 each

We have Dock 3 reserved for the weekend :teeth:

This certification is for Handicapped Scuba Association dive buddy course. We will not be doing any Handicapped certifications at this time.

From Handicapped Scuba Association website (http://www.hsascuba.com/) :

The Dive Buddy Course(DBC)
Many of us know someone, a friend or family member, we'd like to involve in scuba diving. Or, we'd welcome the challenge of learning about disabilities, accessibility issues and how to dive with people who have disabilities. The HSA "Dive Buddy Program" offers able-bodied divers this opportunity to expand their underwater world to include sharing it with a handicapped partner. An HSA certified Dive Buddy receives nearly as much information and skill training as an instructor , except the training focuses on recreation, not instruction.

Please let me or Marty know if you plan to attend this class; we must have 8 students for the weekend and we also need to know for planning purposes! $100 for this class including books, PIC and our instructors time is a BARGAIN!

Divers signed up:

1. Kim aka finGrabber
2. Kamala aka WW
3. Mike aka Bubski

who else is with me???

Edited by Dive_Girl, 15 July 2008 - 10:17 AM.

#2 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:56 PM

Fingrabber I would love to join you but that weekend is committed already as that is byron nelson finals weekend and Im going to be out there from before sun up to after sundown.

let me know when this class comes back around.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#3 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Board Status:Looking for freedive-friendly trips
  • Cert Level:Advanced, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~180

Posted 12 April 2008 - 12:13 AM

Sorry Kim/Marty, wish I could join you, but I've decided to take it in Bonaire. (Saves me wayyy too much money that way).

If only it were closer to Houston, I would love to have gotten it done beforehand...

Edited by Mermaid Lady, 12 April 2008 - 12:17 AM.

Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady
Bass player for the band formerly known as Opulent.

"'
I'm only wearing black until they come out with something darker..."

#4 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 12 April 2008 - 07:45 AM

This is truly a great deal and is something I would love to get involved with. Just 2 little issues to resolve first and then I will sign up! Hope that your participation is high and that you will continue to offer this great opportunity!!

DBD
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#5 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:39 AM

Sorry Kim/Marty, wish I could join you, but I've decided to take it in Bonaire. (Saves me wayyy too much money that way).

If only it were closer to Houston, I would love to have gotten it done beforehand...

You can't get freshwater diving much closer to Houston than Athens!

#6 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:39 AM

This is truly a great deal and is something I would love to get involved with. Just 2 little issues to resolve first and then I will sign up! Hope that your participation is high and that you will continue to offer this great opportunity!!

DBD

Excellent! I hope I get to see you in class :cheerleader:

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,692 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 13 April 2008 - 07:26 AM

Sign me up! Its easier for me to take the class via Marty as I have a million things to do when we do a trip and I don't want to miss any of the fun! :cheerleader:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#8 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 07:39 AM

Sign me up! Its easier for me to take the class via Marty as I have a million things to do when we do a trip and I don't want to miss any of the fun! :wakawaka:

:wakawaka:

I have you on the list!!

#9 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:59 PM

Kimmy count me in !!! :wakawaka:
Where ever You are I wanta be there also, after all You gave me the name Bubski !
I'll bring my tent and camping gear...plus my inflatable Disco Bar-N-Grill :wakawaka:

The HSA "Dive Buddy Program" offers able-bodied divers this opportunity to expand their underwater world to include sharing it with a handicapped partner.

Thats all that was needed to be said Kimmy ! All be there early and waiting.

You Rock :respect:

Thanks

Bubski
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#10 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 07:38 PM

Kimmy count me in !!! :cool1:
Where ever You are I wanta be there also, after all You gave me the name Bubski !
I'll bring my tent and camping gear...plus my inflatable Disco Bar-N-Grill :wakawaka:

The HSA "Dive Buddy Program" offers able-bodied divers this opportunity to expand their underwater world to include sharing it with a handicapped partner.

Thats all that was needed to be said Kimmy ! All be there early and waiting.

You Rock :diver:

Thanks

Bubski

Excellent!! I knew I could count on you Bubski :)

I've added you to the list of "divers who want to make a difference" :wakawaka:

#11 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX

Posted 15 April 2008 - 11:11 AM

Is there any small remote possibility that you would consider rescheduling this for May instead of April? I would love to participate, but I'm broke this month and the water is still 68 degrees! Maybe the weekend before Bonaire or Memorial Day weekend?

#12 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 11:38 AM

Is there any small remote possibility that you would consider rescheduling this for May instead of April? I would love to participate, but I'm broke this month and the water is still 68 degrees! Maybe the weekend before Bonaire or Memorial Day weekend?

WW can't participate the weekend before Bonaire as she will be in PNW at a dive show and she wanted to get her HSA cert before Bonaire

we never actually looked at Memorial Day weekend either

#13 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:36 PM

WW can't participate the weekend before Bonaire as she will be in PNW at a dive show and she wanted to get her HSA cert before Bonaire

I would definitely be able to do it Memorial Day weekend, if everyone is agreeable. Don't want you to go to all the trouble of changing plans just for me though.

#14 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:07 PM

I would definitely be able to do it Memorial Day weekend, if everyone is agreeable. Don't want you to go to all the trouble of changing plans just for me though.

WW will have to weight in on this one!

#15 justscuba

justscuba

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Cert Level:MSDT, EFR INST,HSAI
  • Logged Dives: about 2250 cert 1973

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:24 PM

WW will have to weight in on this one!

Hey don't I get a a say so :teeth:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users