• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

DISCUSSION 2009: CORAL SPAWNING trip in FL on the Spree...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:58 PM

Hey gang...we just finished up a wonderful trip in the Spree's new home the Dry Tortugas out of Key West! :wakawaka:

We had such a great time and the boat really loves our divers and the ongoing support our members have given them by booking with them here that we not only can book a Coral Spawning trip next year as a private booking (the other one will be open booking only) we get to choose the date for the one we want! :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

So I need your help...

Would you like to do a Coral Spawing trip in the Dry Tortugas next year and if so would you prefer....

a. August...the dates would be approx August 11-15th with the travel dates being the 10th and 16th. The spawing occurs at night and so we do normal great Dry Tortugas diving during the day and then 'SPAWN at NIGHT". :teeth:

Spawning Dates: Aug 11-15th
Keys Krawl Before or After: Just tell us what you want as others will want to join in.
Local Sightseeing: Before or after...see the Atochia, dive with Mell Fisher looking for treasure, visit the Pirates Museum, Duval Street and MORE!

b. September...the dztes would follow a special 3 day Labor Day booking that you could book then 2 days off to dive Key West or sight see and then finish up with the SPAWNING as follows;

Special Labor Day Weekend Trip: Dive Sept 5-7th (3 days)
Keys Krawl or Duval/Key West Sightseeing Trip: Sept 8-9 (2 days)
Spawning: Sept 10-13th (4 days)

Pricing:

Pricing for 2009 will be $1050 for 4 days of diving or 17 possible dives or $1250 for 5 days of diving or 22 possible dives. This INCLUDES FREE NITROX and all fuel surcharges for deisel up to $5 per gallon. If it goes over $5 per gallon the boat will have to access a small fuel surcharge.

Pros and Cons as I see it...

1. We will be doing a 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular with the Spree next year so doing the Spawning one month later might be too soon to run back to back trips.
2. August is historically better weather...however everyone should have trip insurance and if we get blown out...there are LOTS of things to do in Key West.
3. If we do the Labor Day weekend trip we won't be able to repeat our Single's Week in Roatan next year.
4. If we do the September Spawning...you can make the trip longer by doing the Special Labor Day trip and still get several days of sightseeing in Key West to offgas or you can dive some more diving the Keys. OR you can just do the Spawning part if vacation is tight for you.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 16 July 2008 - 02:05 PM

I thought when you originally were talking about this that one was in Tortugas and one in the Flower Gardens..I think having the two trips in July and August would probably both in the Tortugas out of Key West may be too close together, IMHO.

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 16 July 2008 - 02:29 PM

I thought when you originally were talking about this that one was in Tortugas and one in the Flower Gardens..I think having the two trips in July and August would probably both in the Tortugas out of Key West may be too close together, IMHO.

Yes when we started our planning in Feb of this year the Spree was planning to do half the year in the Flower Gardens and half the year in the Dry Tortugas. However at over $50k to transfer from TX to FL or FL to TX...they have to choose one venue or the other. See announcement here.

Running 2 trips back to back is certainly one of the downfalls...as I noted in the cons.

However we are planning to make the 4th of July a Single's Trip and the Aug or Sept trip the Coral Spawning. I think at the low prices they are charging for their diving...we can fill both trips.

Would you be interested in either one of the trips?

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#4 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 17 July 2008 - 07:35 AM

Yes when we started our planning in Feb of this year the Spree was planning to do half the year in the Flower Gardens and half the year in the Dry Tortugas. However at over $50k to transfer from TX to FL or FL to TX...they have to choose one venue or the other. See announcement here.

Running 2 trips back to back is certainly one of the downfalls...as I noted in the cons.

However we are planning to make the 4th of July a Single's Trip and the Aug or Sept trip the Coral Spawning. I think at the low prices they are charging for their diving...we can fill both trips.

Would you be interested in either one of the trips?

Here are the challenges I see...

As far as the July 4th trip goes, the dates are a big factor as it is a holiday. It worked really to my benefit this year for the NC Wreck trip. With the 4th falling on a Saturday, I haven't seen our company holiday schedule as of yet, but most likely it will be the 2nd & 3rd.
That trip falls the week immediately following the Bonaire trip. I can't see doing both. So that is one or the other for me.

Unsure on the August/September dates. Certainly while there are other events in Key West if the trip was blown out, the most likely reason to get blown out would be a hurricane and that area is ground zero for such events. And getting out of there last minute like we did last year would make Cozumel seem like a picnic. Its one of the main reasons my family leaves South Florida during those months.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users