• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

VoIP....Love it? Hate it? Use it? Want it?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:09 AM

Ok so as many of you know SingleDivers.com will be moving hopefully soon from Texas to South Carolina. When that happens I want to keep the primary number 214-350-7003. Preliminary research shows that the number is moveable (portable) to Vonage if I go that route.

I also understand that while Skype can offer me free/cheap long distance it is not a full service phone offering unless I get a landline in SC. And I can't keep my current number.

It seems that the big phone companies offer some similar options to VoIP but I'm not sure how that works...I currently use AT&T right now and I think Verizon is the big player is Salem SC 29676 area that will be SD.com's new home. However I understand that AT&T also services that area.

And now you all know what I know....

So can ya help me?

1. Of those of you who are using VoIP or have used it what do you think of it? Good call quality...close enough to normal phone service? Voice too garbled or sound like you are in a tunnel?

2. What company did you use? Who did/do you like & why? Who would you avoid and why?

3. If you are knowledgeable about VoIP solutions please consider offering your ideas on how SD can most seamlessly transfer our phone service to our new location and of course save money in the process while not sacraficing service.

4. I know I'll need internet access...I may be able to use existing service that is the building I'll be sharing with another business or I may get one of the new wireless internet 'aircard' options so I can use it while traveling. Of course a lot of this is contingent on price and availability.

Thank you all for any insight you may be able provide....Kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 Harleyguy1963

Harleyguy1963

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Board Status:x
  • Cert Level:Level 3 advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:49 AM

I am a network engineer and work with IP phones all the time. At my house is use packet8. www.packet8.net. it is very similar to vonage. You just have to have a high speed internet connection (cable, DSL), and be aware that if your power or cable goes out so will your phone. in this day and age, every one has a cell so emergency calls aren't the issue. Also packet8 has internet based voicemail so if your power does go out you will still get your messages. I've had packet8 for 4 or 5 years now. You can get packet 8 now, have your number ported to the device and then when you move to SC, just plug the box back in and your phone will work as before.

Gary
Gary T

#3 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:10 AM

I have used both Vonage and Skype for several years. I had two accounts with Vonage - US and UK. Initially I didn't think the voice quality on the UK account was that good, though the US one was fine. Now I only have the UK account but its voice quality is equivalent to a landline. When I'm in the UK or travelling that's what I use.

In Belize it's much more complicated, as the local phone provider is also the sole ISP, and they have progressively blocked VoIP for commercial reasons. That's illegal even in Belize but they don't care. I have been able to get past their block by using Skype on my computer (by running special software). I haven't found a way round their block not using a computer, so Vonage is useless to me in Belize.

With Vonage (which I recommend to you) you can specify the US area code you want and you can add cheaply additional numbers in other areas if you wish. You can also add numbers in other parts of the world, equally cheaply, so if you have a lot of dealings with, say, Thailand you can get a number in that area. That means anyone in Thailand wanting to call you merely has to call a local number, though to call them you'll pay whatever rates Vonage charge.

I've always paid on usage and for me it's been pretty cheap, but you can also now get unlimited calling programs for the world or subsets of it. Note that these are to landlines only - in most countries calling mobiles costs more. I know that isn't the case in the USA, but it is in all other countries countries I visit.

And lastly, you can set up a 1-800 number in the US so that people can call you free. When Vonage was working in Belize I had this on my US Vonage account and it usually paid for itself within a few days from the start of the month.

I investigated several alternative providers to Vonage when I set up my service several years ago, and at the time Vonage seemed the best. I can't even remember the names of the others I considered, but Vonage is now so good and so cheap I see no reason to search elsewhere.

I'd keep Skype as well and I'd always maintain some credit on it for use when you can't get Vonage set up. You only pay for usage.

You could also set up a Vonage "softphone" so you can use your laptop. I've never bothered as it doesn't come free and Skype does almost as well. You can now have a phone number with Skype, but again it costs and I've not felt the need.

My Vonage costs me GBP7.99/month, and it's very rare indeed that I have to pay any extra. Given the way exchange rates have moved it's now almost double that in the US, but it's still good value.

Incidentally, I learned all about this stuff when "idiveforbeer" (Mike Loewenthal) came to dive with me some years ago. He was then active on this site, but I've not seen his name for a while.

#4 UP Diver

UP Diver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Board Status:Occasionally lurking on and off the board...
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:>150

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:30 AM

Kamala -

Several points here. You WILL need a hard wired landline/FIOS connection regardless of your service. The Vonage, Skype, even Majic Jack services simply VOIP this service (i.e you internet service). The questions are the quality of service, reliability and cost. I view most of these as "home" telecom solutions, but Vonage appears to have advanced to commercial levels of quality.

You likely also want other services, such as a fax line or combination fax/voice and likely you want a fax to internet connection to allow you to access our faxes from remote locations.

You also want bundled LD (US and International) and maybe even bundled cell service, right?

AT&T bundles all this and does a good job. Cebyond is another player in the market and is based in Dallas - gives business packages as you need and is all high speed VOIP, fax to internet, voice mail, remote calling and International LD.

Call me or PM me and I can give you contact information.

Jim aka UP Diver
:evilgrin:
"Well, my name is Jim...
but most people just call me - Jim."

Gene Wilder, Blazing Saddles

#5 Harleyguy1963

Harleyguy1963

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Board Status:x
  • Cert Level:Level 3 advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:41 PM

Kamala -

Several points here. You WILL need a hard wired landline/FIOS connection regardless of your service. The Vonage, Skype, even Majic Jack services simply VOIP this service (i.e you internet service). The questions are the quality of service, reliability and cost. I view most of these as "home" telecom solutions, but Vonage appears to have advanced to commercial levels of quality.

You likely also want other services, such as a fax line or combination fax/voice and likely you want a fax to internet connection to allow you to access our faxes from remote locations.

You also want bundled LD (US and International) and maybe even bundled cell service, right?

AT&T bundles all this and does a good job. Cebyond is another player in the market and is based in Dallas - gives business packages as you need and is all high speed VOIP, fax to internet, voice mail, remote calling and International LD.

Call me or PM me and I can give you contact information.

Jim aka UP Diver
:evilgrin:

You don't need an analog phone circuit if you have a cable modem.

Gary
Gary T

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:02 PM

WOW! Some great info...thank you all.

Primary goal is to keep the 214-350-7003 number. The secondary is to keep good quality of service so I can conduct business and third is to not pay more than I currently pay or less if at all possible. (I'll need a fax, like the idea of possible 'local' numbers i.e. a SC number but not really needed and think some of the softphone features may be nice but need to be more educated.)

Currently I am bundled with AT&T for voice, internet and celfone.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#7 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:38 PM

My 2psi on VOIP is that it's come a very long way in a short time.....I elected to put it in place here at work and calls sound absolutely the same as land lines.....and substantially better than cell calls! So I don't think call quality will be an issue if you go that route!
Posted Image

#8 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:00 PM

My 2psi on VOIP is that it's come a very long way in a short time.....I elected to put it in place here at work and calls sound absolutely the same as land lines.....and substantially better than cell calls! So I don't think call quality will be an issue if you go that route!

Thank you....that is the first biz recommendation so that is great!

And :evilgrin: Harleyguy1063 for chatting with me on some other ideas...

This will really work... just have to figure it all out...

but so far so good! :lmao: everyone! k

formerly...

#9 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:51 PM

Don't have a clue about VOIP or whatever it is but BB and I just got new Verizon Blackberries and they are replacing both our Internet Air Cards. In addition I am dropping my land line but keeping the number for my Blackberry. This will enable each of us to drop some service on our main cell phones but still have a 2nd line each for about $15 more a month. The G3 network kinda feels faster than my Broadband card.
Anyway I can't see why they couldn't work with ya.
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#10 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:36 PM

The letters to concentrate on are not VoIP, but QoS or Quality of Service. That is the ability to dedicate a fixed amount of your bandwidth for VoIP traffic. Without that you are at the mercy of Internet traffic and your quality will suffer.

VoIP alone for home use is fine. VoIP without QoS should not be used for a business IMHO.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:38 PM

Don't have a clue about VOIP or whatever it is but BB and I just got new Verizon Blackberries and they are replacing both our Internet Air Cards. In addition I am dropping my land line but keeping the number for my Blackberry. This will enable each of us to drop some service on our main cell phones but still have a 2nd line each for about $15 more a month. The G3 network kinda feels faster than my Broadband card.

Funny you should mention this...it was just suggested that I think about a new blackberry with data and use it for emails and quick board check ins...I know YOU use your devices to check the board and do emails. And while not probably the faster nor most elegant...it seems to work ok for you and might give me that extra degree of connectivity I need. Plus I gotta get a new celfone so maybe this is the solution on that front and partially solves some of the other issues.

Thanks again for all the great input! :evilgrin:

formerly...

#12 UP Diver

UP Diver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Board Status:Occasionally lurking on and off the board...
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:>150

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:40 PM

The letters to concentrate on are not VoIP, but QoS or Quality of Service. That is the ability to dedicate a fixed amount of your bandwidth for VoIP traffic. Without that you are at the mercy of Internet traffic and your quality will suffer.

VoIP alone for home use is fine. VoIP without QoS should not be used for a business IMHO.

Simon -

I agree 100% and just sent a PM to the Wench. The security issue also comes into play quickly!

UP Diver :evilgrin:
"Well, my name is Jim...
but most people just call me - Jim."

Gene Wilder, Blazing Saddles

#13 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:01 PM

I agree 100% and just sent a PM to the Wench. The security issue also comes into play quickly!

That too. I have seen too many VoIP projects end in disaster from slick sales people. The same ones who cringe when they try to sell to me and I ask about their QoS... :evilgrin:
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#14 Bubbles

Bubbles

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:45 PM

Funny you should mention this...it was just suggested that I think about a new blackberry with data and use it for emails and quick board check ins...I know YOU use your devices to check the board and do emails. And while not probably the faster nor most elegant...it seems to work ok for you and might give me that extra degree of connectivity I need. Plus I gotta get a new celfone so maybe this is the solution on that front and partially solves some of the other issues.

Thanks again for all the great input! :wakawaka:

I absolutely LOVE my BlackBerry which is through Verizon. It can be used for international travel, and prior to my trips I have the global email service turned on for the duration of the trip. Something like this would be perfect for you since you are always on the go.
"If life gives you limes, make margaritas." – Jimmy Buffett

#15 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:22 PM

Thanks again for all the great input! :wakawaka:

This new one seems a lot faster than my old one. Actually I'm using it right now with my laptop plugged into it as a modem.

Edited by pir8, 06 April 2009 - 08:23 PM.

Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users