• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Palau March 2005

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 07:14 PM

This was my fifth trip to Palau, my fourth with Sams and my third Diving with Keith Santillano. In the three years diving with Keith he has taken half the weight off my weight belt a doubled my bottom time.

My first day, water like glass and temp 82 degrees. The first dive was the Blue Holes. Simply a Beautiful dive. Looking up at divers descending through the Blue Holes is incredible. We descend down to the Disco Clam and then drift down the wall. You will see Hard and Soft corals, schools of Black Snapper, Yellowbacks, Trevally, Butterflyfish and so on. Then the surface interval. Now where? Why not the Blue Corner? This was probably the 20th time I have dove the Blue Corner. Almost every time seems to be the best. This day the current was ripping at about 3 knots with 5-knot surges. You hook up to the Reef and watch the underwater Zoo! Barracuda, Eagle rays, Jacks, White tips, Dog Tooth Tuna etc….This day about 50 to 70 Grey Reef Sharks large and small. The females were cut and scratched…….mating season……..looks a little rough. Then off the Corner and into the flats. Now you encounter the Triggerfish, which are hanging around their nests, and they do not want you around. One bumped the lens of my camera, and then I felt a tug on my fin. Just a Triggerfish biting and it would not budge…..so I decided to leave them alone. Actually I was running out of Air.

This type of Action or beauty typified the majority of my dives. Whether on not it was the German Channel, Peleliu, Big Drop Off, Turtle Cove etc. The diving was simply the best! I also had a divers emergency and the person said I gave them a new Birthday to celebrate. And he was a Master Divemaster! I did a write up about this emergency under General Diving, which is preventable.

Of all the encounters I had under the ocean nothing compared to the one I had on land. I met Flip and Mike on a dive boat, they said they were getting one day off in thirty days and this was their day off. I asked them what they did. They work for Bent Prop www.bentprop.org their job was to search for WWII, MIA’s. Bent Props job is to interview people in Palau that lived during WWII. Search out wrecks and try to identify MIA’s to bring them home. This trip they found remains of two planes and now trying find if the person(s) is an MIA. Bent Prop is voluntary organization. They are Airline pilots, Students, Doctors etc. They held a presentation at Sams one night in which Bent Prop discussed their findings this year. What a great group! And a Couple of big pluses, I met a veteran who came in the first wave of the invasion in Peleliu. Also met a Medal of Honor winner who was on one of the first boats landing for the invasion of Iwo Jima he told me he remembered it was 9:30 AM! What stories. I am in awe of all these brave men!!

What a trip! :birthday: :birthday:
You must endeavor to pursue!

#2 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 19 March 2005 - 08:03 PM

Very nice report Scott - glad you had a great time - I hope to make it there some day!!! Will we get to see pics?
Known puker

#3 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 20 March 2005 - 10:58 AM

Sounds like a great time- pictures are coming, right?
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#4 maninthesea

maninthesea

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Cert Level:Trimix and Rebreather also Padi Inst and TDI Inst Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Quit that long ago-Nothing left to prove

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:21 PM

Good to hear you had a great time in Palau. Good but not surprising. I also had a chance to meet the same Medal of Honor recipient. We checked out what he did to recieve the medal. He and his unit were working their way up a ravine when they were fired upon and two genades landed in the middle of the groop. This guy jumped on one and pulled the other underneeth him. AND Lived!
Tip of the day- Never suck on a loaded gun!

#5 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:44 PM

Good to hear you had a great time in Palau.  Good but not surprising.  I also had a chance to meet the same Medal of Honor recipient.  We checked out what he did to recieve the medal.  He and his unit were working their way up a ravine when they were fired upon and two genades landed in the middle of the groop.  This guy jumped on one and pulled the other underneeth him.    AND Lived!

:P Yep that is the same guy! and i met a couple of other veterans (his friends) from Iwo Jima. Small World!

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,703 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:50 PM

Incredible Scott...and the diving sounded awesome too! So were these gentleman divers by chance? More details on how you met them? I'm guessing the guys at BentProp were divers right? This sounds like something I could get really intriqued by! -ww

p.s. I'm also waiting for pics...looks like we should consider doing a trip there next year!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#7 maninthesea

maninthesea

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 05:18 AM

WreckWench Posted on Mar 21 2005, 05:50 PM
  Incredible Scott...and the diving sounded awesome too! So were these gentleman divers by chance? More details on how you met them? I'm guessing the guys at BentProp were divers right? This sounds like something I could get really intriqued by! -ww

p.s. I'm also waiting for pics...looks like we should consider doing a trip there next year!

I'll kick your butt in Vegas if you dont have something semi-planned by then! & yea the bent prop people I know are divers.

Cheers Jim

#8 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,703 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 22 March 2005 - 07:06 AM

Hey cutie...didn't anyone tell you that I like getting kicked in the butt??? :cool2:

ok ok...pm me to work on some details...I'll need your help...afterall might want to include Guam in this little shindig! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#9 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 03:24 PM

Incredible Scott...and the diving sounded awesome too!  So were these gentleman divers by chance? More details on how you met them? I'm guessing the guys at BentProp were divers right? This sounds like something I could get really intriqued by! -ww

:2cool: Yes they are all divers. I met Flip and Mike on a dive boat and the next night was the presenatition they put on. It was their one day off. In fact the President of Palau went diving with them to search out a wreck they found a couple of days before.

And yes you should consider putting a trip together. March thru May is the Best time. I did talk to Sam of Sams tours and he remembered talking with you at Dema.

Everytime i have dove Palau it get better! :bye: :hiya: :o :cool2:

#10 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 06:17 PM

:wakawaka:

Edited by Travelnsj, 04 April 2005 - 06:39 PM.

#11 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 30 April 2005 - 09:31 PM

March thru May is the Best time.

awesome, i'm headed to Palau next weekend.

looking to dive as much as i can.

and yes, i'll be bringing my video camera, so there will be pics to share when i get back.
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#12 maninthesea

maninthesea

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 11:52 PM

BradfordNC

Ill be in Palau from the 5th to the 11th. I tried to reply to the post you made today but was DENIED :wavey: The guy's I am meeting leave on the 10th so I will have some time to have a beer and BS. Dont know who you are diveing with but if its land based just ask them how to get in touch with Jim from Guam. Or e-mail me @ maninthesea@hotmail.com
Cheers
Jim

#13 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 10:26 AM

and yes, i'll be bringing my video camera, so there will be pics to share when i get back.

:taz: Brad,

You are on your way to the finest diving i have ever found. If you have a chance do the Jake seaplane. Did that the first time in March, great fun, great dive.

Who are you diving with? If you are diving with Sams make sure to say hello to Keith for me.

Need any info about where to eat etc. e-mail me. enjoy :dance:

#14 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 11:05 AM

:taz: Brad,

You are on your way to the finest diving i have ever found. If you have a chance do the Jake seaplane. Did that the first time in March, great fun, great dive.

Who are you diving with? If you are diving with Sams make sure to say hello to Keith for me.

Need any info about where to eat etc. e-mail me. enjoy :dance:

just looked at the itinerary,

and as a matter of fact, i am diving with Sam's Dive Tours.

i'll be in Palau for a week before moving over to Bikini Atoll for a week.
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#15 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 12:58 PM

BradfordNC

Ill be in Palau from the 5th to the 11th. I tried to reply to the post you made today but was DENIED :clapping: The guy's I am meeting leave on the 10th so I will have some time to have a beer and BS. Dont know who you are diveing with but if its land based just ask them how to get in touch with Jim from Guam. Or e-mail me @ maninthesea@hotmail.com
Cheers
Jim

Jim,

I arrive on Palau at 8PM on the 10th.

staying at the West Plaza by the Sea

diving with Sam's Dive Tours.

Brad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users