• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Tightening the belt on Carry-on Luggage

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jazzdiver

Jazzdiver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue + Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:165

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:57 PM

Hello all,

I thought for once I'd be smart and plan ahead on how to pack for my Roatan trip, the first step being to check TACA's luggage restrictions. My desire was to pack my photo gear as a carry-on, only I now see that TACA states there is a 22-lb. weight limit! I'm not sure just yet how I'll juggle what goes as carry-on vs. checked. My last trip to Roatan was in 2002 and all my photo gear, plus laptop, plus a film scanner were packed into a rolling Pelican case that was checked-in. I don't recall whether I had padlocks on the case or zip ties, but I had no significant problems dealing with TSA inspections and all went well.

Back then however, I believe TSA was performing bag scans prior to the check-in, permitting me to unlock and relock my case. Locks aren't perfect but do give some assurance that nobody will be tampering with luggage. Nowadays however, and hence my desire to carry-on my photo gear, inspections are peformed behind the scenes after check-in, and locks (if not TSA locks) are at risk of being cut off. If that's going to happen, one may as well just use zip-ties to secure their bags.

So, to those of you who travel with quite a bit of photography and dive gear valuables, and who have travelled recently, what approach have you found that works well for giving you peace of mind for nothing being broken, lost, or stolen? And, if you have flown TACA or other airlines with a similarly restrictive 22-lb. limit on carry-ons, have you observed any of them actually weighing your carry-ons and enforcing that limit? For your checked luggage, how do you choose to secure it?

Knock on wood, I've never had a problem with theft or damaged items, even when my checked luggage was secured only with wire ties or zip ties. But, I'm feeling a little paranoid right now. Whatever approach I do end up going with, I've always got the peace of mind of having personal property insurance, but that does little to relieve the stress of going on a trip where you wind up at your destination with missing or damaged items.

Thanks,

Daryl

Edited by Jazzdiver, 13 July 2006 - 12:59 PM.

Life has no meaning without depth!
I get high by going down.
Dive SAFE!

the only thing better than diving in life, is women! ;)

#2 Geek

Geek

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Adv. Nitrox/Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:130+

Posted 13 July 2006 - 01:09 PM

There are now TSA locks available which are generally combination locks that can be opened with a TSA master key. You should be able to find these any place that sells luggage. You should use these rather than zip ties or older style locks.

I have not observed anyone weighing carryon luggage, so I don't think you'll run into a problem unless you look very obviously over the limit. Checked baggage is weighed and it is very easy to go over the limit with a bunch of dive gear, so weigh your luggage and rearrange items accordingly.

Do warn the carrier that you are carrying dive gear as some airlines or flights make allowances for it.

#3 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 13 July 2006 - 02:19 PM

TACA has a box at check in that your carry on must fit in but I've never seen them weigh any.
I pack my camera and housing in my carry on but the other photo junk goes in checked baggage.
As for the TSA locks, for now only the TSA has keys, on the return flight you will be asked to open them and I suspect the baggage handlers will get TSA keys before before the foreign screeners :cool2:
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#4 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2006 - 02:25 PM

I haven't been check for weight limits on carry ons.. yet! As for my dive gear, it's always over the limit. I use tie wraps, not the greatest, but everything has been there upon arrival.

I have a new camera and housing, which I've never travelled with before. So it should be interesting going to Roatan.

:cool2:

#5 Jazzdiver

Jazzdiver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue + Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:165

Posted 13 July 2006 - 04:11 PM

Victoria,

Ditto for me...I just received my new housing for my Nikon D200 yesterday, so I'm really looking forward to my Roatan trip, albeit a week later than those of you headed down there for the Singles Week.

I have a LowePro CompuTrekker AW that I'm hoping I can use for that trip to carry my photo gear plus laptop in. Last night, I loaded it with all the photo gear save for my 2 strobes which are due in next week. To fit them in, I'll likely move the arms & clamps from the carry-on to a checked bag. As is, and without my laptop in the back compartment, I've got a 33-lb. bag. The laptop should bring that to about 40 lbs. As a laptop is still permitted as a 2nd carryon, I may carry it in its own case and put my reg in the back compartment...there's still plenty of time to determine the best configuration.

80 lbs. of gear and 8 pounds of clothing...sound like the mark of a travelling diver? :flirt:

As for the TSA locks, I do need to get some regardless, but would need some large enough to fit my Pelican case. The locks I've seen look more to be small ones, for locking zippers together. Surely larger locks are made.

....Hmmm....indeed, there is a TSA lock just like I was looking for yet just not that widely distributed it seems. But, for anyone else interested, here's a link: http://www.corporate...products_id=112

Daryl

Edited by Jazzdiver, 13 July 2006 - 06:05 PM.

Life has no meaning without depth!
I get high by going down.
Dive SAFE!

the only thing better than diving in life, is women! ;)

#6 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 14 July 2006 - 02:51 PM

They only place I've ever had a carry-on weighed was in Fiji, 'cos the puddle-jumper between the main island and where we were staying had *severe* weight restrictions. Even though WW had warned 'em well in advance that we were bringing X divers and roughly Y lbs of gear, they were surprised and had to add another plane for the 'excess baggage' (two planes with divers, two planes full of baggage!) Ya just can't get good help, some times.

Not only did they weigh the carry-on, they weighed us at the same time. We had to get on a scale with our carry-on. Mine typically runs around 43lbs 'cos I always keep cameras, laptop, dive comps & regs in it, as well as one of my prescription masks. After Bonaire, it also has one change of clothes. :wakawaka:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users