• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Dives with 3 different Nitrox mixes

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 cdtgray

cdtgray

Getting started

• Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Cert Level:Recreational: NAUI Instructor, Technical: Full Trimix
  • Logged Dives:A few hundred-ish but most are not LOGGED.

Posted 18 July 2006 - 06:58 PM

Well you don't stand alone, cdtgray...

I know there are a lot of people that have done, are doing, and will do deep air dives. It seems however that there is always someone on these diving message boards who will step up and proclaim that even thinking about doing those dives marks someone as a horribly reckless diver.

#17 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:11 AM

As I said, I am not a huge fan of deep air, but I wouldn't call it a reckless practice or flame it. Like many diving practices, it is simply under the "not for me" category. That turns into another issue all its own. When I dove the Florida, we had one air diver who simply limited his dive to 160 ft. (his choice) rather than use mix like the rest of us down to 180+.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#18 mirrocraft

mirrocraft

Getting started

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.
  • Cert Level:intro to cave
  • Logged Dives:well i hate to say i dont long them but am starting mostly solo dives

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:51 AM

if youare going to be doing this kinda diving you wouldnt be carring everybottle the entire dive i dont know many people carrying a 100% mix to 200+ft most people i know stage there bottles at the max depth it can be used this way you dont have to worry about all them tanks suring the entire dive

#19 JimG

JimG

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Not enough!

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:20 AM

most people i know stage there bottles at the max depth it can be used this way you dont have to worry about all them tanks suring the entire dive

That works in a cave, but not in the open ocean. What would you do if you got blown off the site? On an ocean dive, you carry the deco gas with you throughout the dive. Fortunately, the bottom times on these types of dives are usually short (at least when compared to cave diving), so you do not typically need a ton of gas. Most people get by pretty well with a 20 or 30 cf tank for their deco mixes.
Will DIR for food!

#20 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:48 PM

I also agree. I carry all my gas (bail out included) during ocean dives. I only drop tanks during cave dives. In the ocean, you cannot be assured of returning on the same path from which you came due to changing conditions.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#21 Geek

Geek

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Adv. Nitrox/Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:130+

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:39 PM

I am surprised to see this thread resurrected after all this time, but it is a good topic.

What I suggest is reading "The Last Dive". While the incident described in that book did not involve multiple gas mixes, it did pretty well establish carrying all of your gas with you as standard procedure for Open Ocean dives, at least in this area which is NJ.

#22 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:26 PM

if youare going to be doing this kinda diving you wouldnt be carring everybottle the entire dive i dont know many people carrying a 100% mix to 200+ft most people i know stage there bottles at the max depth it can be used this way you dont have to worry about all them tanks suring the entire dive

Divers in the PNW carry all the deco bottles they will need on a dive. An extra deco bottle may be dropped from a boat as a backup in case of failure (and assuming you're not also blown off the site), but not as the one you are to rely on for your deco obligation. I was trained to make sure that I could complete the extended deco obligation that would result of a deco bottle failure on my backgas.

My tech instructor goes one step further when planning most open ocean wreck dives deeper than 200' and that is to have a safety diver that comes along and meets the team as a designated depth carrying additional deco bottles, also in case of failures.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#23 mirrocraft

mirrocraft

Getting started

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.
  • Cert Level:intro to cave
  • Logged Dives:well i hate to say i dont long them but am starting mostly solo dives

Posted 18 February 2007 - 11:33 AM

yes i agreewith all about carring there deco bottle on ocean dive since i have not done any ocean dives im land locked and well dont have the money for charters i stick with the caves and quarys :wavey:

#24 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:21 AM

All of this was very well said. I don't dive caves because I don't live close enough to them. I dive wrecks.

On wrecks, I was trained to remove deco bottles only if needed to squeeze into/out of a tight area or to help clear myself of an entanglement. Otherwise, I carry all of the deco gas that I will require because I am not guaranteed that I can get back to it. Many times, I use two deco gases for one basic reason. Either one would get me back to the surface on its own if I had failure that rendered a bottle useless. By using two different gases, I can pick one up deeper and start my deco sooner if all goes well. If one fails, I have enough gas to easily do my deco, but it will be longer (and I dive cold water so deco time can be quite chilling).
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users