• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Aborting the Dive

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Poll: Deciding When It's Time Not to Jump (27 member(s) have cast votes)

I have decided NOT to make a dive when:

1. The conditions were not right in the water (too rough, strong current, etc.); (16 votes [59.26%])

Percentage of vote: 59.26%

2. I realized that I was not in the right shape/did not have the skills to make the dive; (4 votes [14.81%])

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

3. Something just didn't feel right. (7 votes [25.93%])

Percentage of vote: 25.93%

When I made my decision not to dive:

1. My buddies/others understood and supported my decision; (22 votes [81.48%])

Percentage of vote: 81.48%

2. People tried to talk me into making the dive anyway. (5 votes [18.52%])

Percentage of vote: 18.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:49 PM

I just did something that was very hard for me to do. I turned down the chance to make a dive that I really want to make to one of my favorite sites, a place that the local operators only go to a few times a year. My reason? I'm not ready to make this kind of dive yet.

I have been spending the last few weekends modifying my equipment setup, and my hope was to be ready in time to make this trip. However, when I sat down and thought about it, I realized that I am still not quite ready to make a dive like this on my new setup. So, I let the boat captain know that I would not be able to attend this special outing.

So, have any of you ever decided, even at the last minute, that you were not up for a dive, realized it, and then opted not to participate? Did others try to pressure you into making the dive anyway?
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#2 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:55 PM

<snip>So, have any of you ever decided, even at the last minute, that you were not up for a dive, realized it, and then opted not to participate?

Yes, but foolishly, I went along with the dive. I don't regret it though because it didn't last very long and I learned alot from the overall experience. I'll just know better next time. :diver:

Did others try to pressure you into making the dive anyway?

Most definitely not! I had the most wonderful, understanding buddy. :lmao:

#3 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:57 PM

We called a dive just this past weekend. The conditions were too sketchy, but I thought we could go around the peak and try another drop in, but my dive buddy called it. I didn't argue.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#4 piscesgirl

piscesgirl

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Supervisor
  • Logged Dives:Stopped logging years ago, but at least 100

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:58 PM

It has happened to me before. Been as close as being on the boat and putitng on gear and something just said "not today". That kind is hard to explain why, but other times I have made that decision after the dive briefing (current too strong, rough seas) and decided to stay aboard. Haven't experienced yet canceling all together before actually getting to the boat. Semetimes I have been pressured to go, but I don't give in.

I think you made the right decision SDM. Better to wait until the next "special trip" when you feel 100% ready rather than have had something happen (god forbid) and you had to miss a whole lot more of the "everyday trips".
OH WHATEVER!!

#5 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:02 PM

Well, on a SD trip in NC last year, I got food poisoning on the first night. I made the first dive of the second day and was going to skip the second, but Kamala talked me into it. I'm glad she did because I felt better afterward.
A couple of times, after the briefing in the FG, I was scared to do a dive, but I did them anyway. And I'm glad I did then too.

#6 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:25 PM

Well, I didn't vote, 'cause you didn't have an "all of the above" button. I have opted out of dives due to all the reasons you mentioned. Not only has no one ever tried to talk me into diving anyway, I remember one dive when I said NFW and THEN everyone else said they didn't really want to go anyway!
"

#7 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:31 PM

Well, on a SD trip in NC last year, I got food poisoning on the first night. I made the first dive of the second day and was going to skip the second, but Kamala talked me into it. I'm glad she did because I felt better afterward.

A couple of times, after the briefing in the FG, I was scared to do a dive, but I did them anyway. And I'm glad I did then too.

Sometimes talking through the reasons a diver may be relunctant to dive can eliminate misconceptions and fears. Sometimes talking through those issue may result in the diver deciding to make the dive. I don't consider that to be a peer pressure dive, as long as it is the diver's choice to reconsider calling the dive. This can be a very fine line, however.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#8 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:31 PM

I've sat out a few dives, called a few in water, never had any pressure from my buddies to do otherwise.

#9 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:58 PM

I have bagged out for all of the above reasons and a few you did not list.

Good buddies will try and figure out why you are calling a dive.
Good buddies will try and talk you thru your fears if that is your reason.
Good buddies will never bully or harass you to make a dive YOU are not comfortable making.

I have no trouble stating I will not dive this site ~ this dive ~ or whatever.
I have never had anyone try and bully me into diving when I am not willing.

I have also spent sometime talking to a diver who is unsure or fearful for any reason.
If it is just nervousness... I will try and talk them thru the nerves.
I always allow the fearful/nervous diver to make the final call.

Edited by gis_gal, 25 July 2006 - 04:01 PM.

Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#10 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:58 PM

Add on "buddy not comfortable" and throw all of the above in for reasons.

To me calling a dive is simple, if it is called, it's called. I have dove solo in the event that my dive buddy calls it and I happen to be equipped for that decision and feel comfortable with that move . I didn't pressure the dive buddy to dive in those cases. As well, I have been known to join a different group for that dive or stay on the boat and call it for myself as well. Again, no pressure from me in those events either.

I don't ask why (although the dive buddy is welcome to tell me why) and if I don't feel like telling someone why, I am not obligated to. That is a two way street that works well for both buddies.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#11 sandiegocarol

sandiegocarol

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 25 July 2006 - 04:06 PM

I sat out one of my cert dives at La Jolla Shores. I tried to get out there but the surf was too strong for me that day and I got too tired to keep trying. I was disappointed but felt better when one of the Search and Rescue trainers running a course there came over and told me that he thought I did the right thing and to never hesitate to call a dive if it just doesn't feel right.

#12 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 25 July 2006 - 04:30 PM

Sometimes talking through the reasons a diver may be relunctant to dive can eliminate misconceptions and fears. Sometimes talking through those issue may result in the diver deciding to make the dive. I don't consider that to be a peer pressure dive, as long as it is the diver's choice to reconsider calling the dive. This can be a very fine line, however.

In the first instance, I was feeling a little queasy still, but like Kamala mentioned, I would probably feel better underwater than on it.
At FG, I didn't even mention my fears to my buddy. I just listened to some of those briefings, like the ones on the platforms, decided to leave my camera behind (which I regretted later) and just followed my buddy because he knew a lot more than I did. :P

#13 BeachBunny

BeachBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:Not enough but I am working on it!

Posted 25 July 2006 - 05:00 PM

I have called a dive once, after I was in the water....the freezing, almost zero vis water. I have since decided that I am not a cold water divin type of girl.
"In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different" CoCo Chanel

beachbunny@singledivers.com

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"
Ghandi

#14 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 25 July 2006 - 06:00 PM

I've aborted dives mainly due to dive condtions at the time. The last time I did this was on the Turks and Caicos trip when CaptSaaz jumped in for a night dive and was out of the water about 5 mins later; his advice was "don't do it!!"

so we didn't

to me, if the conditions don't sound like fun, then why dive?

#15 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 25 July 2006 - 06:56 PM

I consider my dive career characterized by the dives that I didn't make as well as ones I did. Good judgement, including being aware of one's physical issues, whether permanent or temporary, is all part of being a good diver.

Rick
:fish2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users