• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Aborting the Dive

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Poll: Deciding When It's Time Not to Jump (27 member(s) have cast votes)

I have decided NOT to make a dive when:

1. The conditions were not right in the water (too rough, strong current, etc.); (16 votes [59.26%])

Percentage of vote: 59.26%

2. I realized that I was not in the right shape/did not have the skills to make the dive; (4 votes [14.81%])

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

3. Something just didn't feel right. (7 votes [25.93%])

Percentage of vote: 25.93%

When I made my decision not to dive:

1. My buddies/others understood and supported my decision; (22 votes [81.48%])

Percentage of vote: 81.48%

2. People tried to talk me into making the dive anyway. (5 votes [18.52%])

Percentage of vote: 18.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 07:40 PM

Thus far, I've only called one dive.

I was in a group of 3, in a cavern. I wasn't able to secure a primary light so I was on a backup only. About 15 minutes into the dive, I felt like the reaper was sneaking up on me. I signaled attention to my buddy, and thumbed. He asked if it was ok stay in the cavern. I was on doubles and only 60ft down. I signaled I was ok to go out on my own. He watched me leave, and I went topside and just relazed on top of the water for a while.

I have zero issues calling a dive, I have zero issues with other calling a dive. And I won't dive with ANYONE who doesn't respect a thumbed dive. The water will still be there when we've turned to dust.

#17 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 25 July 2006 - 07:41 PM

When I had physical issues due to my car accident last year, it was easy for me not to dive until well: It hurt too much! :fish2: This decision was a lot harder because it was an easy dive for me to do on open circuit.

Ultimately, I know that CCR will enable me to do a lot of dives that would have been on the border or beyond my comfort zone for open circuit. So, I will just have to wait until I am ready to make those dives. That is little comfort for me today! :fish2:
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#18 cdtgray

cdtgray

Getting started

• Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Cert Level:Recreational: NAUI Instructor, Technical: Full Trimix
  • Logged Dives:A few hundred-ish but most are not LOGGED.

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:44 PM

I've aborted a number of dives in the past for a variety of reasons and have never encountered any criticism from anyone I was diving with.

The hardest one for me to call off was a dive to the Texas Tower. I spent a decent amount of money between the boat fee, trimix, and deco gas. After the 9 hour or so boat trip to the dive site though I was pretty seasick. I was still determined to get in the water if for no other reason than to get off of the boat. I geared up, jumped in, lost my reel and had my drysuit hose disconnect. At that point I decided I wasn't in a condition to make the dive, so I sat on the line at 20 feet and sucked down my O2 until I felt better. Probably the most expensive 20' dive Ive ever made, but I know it was the right call.

#19 nurseshark

nurseshark

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW,Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:50 PM

I have called a couple of dives. Mostly because I didnt feel comfortable with it and the reported conditions were not good, like on the Turks and Caicos trip . I also called a couple of night dives because on a liveaboard, I am sometimes tired and cold after several days of multiple dives and have learned that when you get to that point its best to rest and warm up. When I have tried to go ahead and do the dives I have always regretted it.

#20 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 25 July 2006 - 10:19 PM

Aborted dives???

HEheh.. geesh, I do it all the time, bad vis, strong currents, rarely on equipment (only once that I recal)...

But not really concerned with the other's opinion (never had a problem as they either kept on with the dive or felt the same reason..)

I have no problem aborting.. the dive site will always (usually anyway) be there and it just gives me an excuse to come back.. in a better situation..
A PITA dive is not worth diving... .I'll buy the post card...

Too many "Small things" can happen and 3 is abouit the limit..

so one stress, 2 & 3 can be quickly appear...

Just ain't worth it eh??
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#21 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 25 July 2006 - 10:22 PM

Aborted dives???

I have no problem aborting.. the dive site will always (usually anyway) be there and it just gives me an excuse to come back.. in a better situation..

Just ain't worth it eh??

pretty much sums up my feelings

#22 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 10:29 PM

<snip>

Too many "Small things" can happen and 3 is abouit the limit..

<snip>

My instructor told me about the *Oh, @!&%!* rule -- by the time 3 things go wrong, it ain't gonna get any better. :lmao:

#23 ASDmike

ASDmike

• PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:700ish

Posted 26 July 2006 - 05:15 AM

I like the "3 challenges" rule and had plenty of crummy dives working through one or two problems, but no dives that I had to abort for my own safety/comfort. But I did call one dive since my buddy "team" was suffering all three of the above simultaneously. They wanted to go on, but I knew my limitations and rescuing multiple divers was/is not in my skillset.
'06 - Fireworks on History, Singles Fantasy
'07 - Ancient Egypt/Red Sea Liveaboard
'08 - Bonaire Singles Week ...In STYLE!!!

#24 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:30 AM

I have a three strikes rule. Three things go wrong and the dive is cancelled. Same with a flight.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#25 Geek

Geek

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Adv. Nitrox/Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:130+

Posted 26 July 2006 - 07:33 AM

Well, I didn't vote, 'cause you didn't have an "all of the above" button. I have opted out of dives due to all the reasons you mentioned. Not only has no one ever tried to talk me into diving anyway, I remember one dive when I said NFW and THEN everyone else said they didn't really want to go anyway!

Pretty much a ditto here, though I haven't caused a whole boat to abort. However, I also had a dive where I got about 20 feet down the line and decided to abort due to the current and emerged on the boat to find one other person who had not entered the water and another who had gotten in the water and aborted ahead of me.

#26 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 26 July 2006 - 07:56 AM

I do not believe in the supernatural. When I have "a bad feeling" about the dive, the dive is over because it is my body talking - I am tired, electrolyte imbalance, hungry, thirsty (beer or water) etc etc - but something is throwing me off.

The obvious things - ripping currents, deteriorating surface weather, multiple "system" issues e.g. 3rd world country, no medical facilities, equipment problems, remote locations bring my threshold down.

The trap I have to work to avoid is I get so invested in both time, money and enthusiasm, the urge to jump is skewed by non-relevant emotions.

What I find helpful is to step back from the scene, and picture my adventure being discussed on this board or others....typically begins:

Diver with over xx years experience and yyy dives was killed during a dive that his friends claim he would not have normally continued...

that usually helps me get things in perspective.

Edited by Capn Jack, 26 July 2006 - 08:01 AM.

No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#27 konascubagirl

konascubagirl

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 26 July 2006 - 11:09 AM

The obvious things - ripping currents, deteriorating surface weather, multiple "system" issues e.g. 3rd world country, no medical facilities, equipment problems, remote locations bring my threshold down.

We have NO recompression here on the Big Island, and the only hospital on the Kona side is located at 2000 feet elevation. As a result of these 2 unfortunate circumstances, I created a special emergency plan that I have all divers read prior to getting wet. The main point on it? DO NOT let ANYONE take a diver to the local hospital for DCI. What would be the point? No chamber, high elevation! I have all the numbers for medivac lifts over to Oahu on the card.
In a nutshell, I have called numerous dives here because we have no safety net in Kona if something should go wrong. Also, I had a very scary experience with huge surf as a brand new diver. Swell going out was about 4 feet. Of course, shore diving here also involves a rocky entrance/exit. I didn't like the looks of it, but my "bubby" was insistant all would be well. Dive went fine, surf increased to 10 feet while we were out. Exhausting, scary exit bashed all over the rocks. Cuts and bruises everywhere even though I had managed to keep the tank between me and the rocks during many waves. I was so tired by the time I reached water I could stand in that a dude on the beach came out and helped me in the rest of the way. I was sooooo pissed at my "buddy". I NEVER question when someone calls a dive, and I expect the same in return.

Stef

#28 Piz

Piz

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:?? 200+

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:12 AM

I have called dives for all three reasons and couple of others as well.

Most of my buddies have been cool with it and those that haven't I told where they could go and what they could do to themselves when they got there.

If a dive is called it is called regardless of who it is and the reasons. I'm not going to get bent to play with a fish. Mermaids on the other hand would be a differnt proposition.

#29 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:03 AM

Although I rarely abort a dive (at least before it starts), I have no problem doing so if something doesn't feel right. WSeather and dive conditions are rarely a factor since I live almost within view of the dive park and can assess conditions there and on the dive boat before I head down.

I have called a few boat dive trips when I woke up and felt tired or just not right physically. I have called dives in the water due to poor conditions or equipment failure. Since I usually dive solo, no one complains. When I do dive with a buddy, they are almost always mature dive professionals who would not question such a call.

#30 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:19 AM

During my GUE Tech 1 class, I was configured with unfamiliar equipment. I was using MHK's light, my boss's double 104's rather than my AL 80's, and a new wing as well as diving in my drysuit which I hadn't used since early spring and then I had a 40 cuft stage bottle. I wanted to bail on the wreck dives at the end of the course because I hadn't become really used to the gear that I was wearing. Only having worn that stuff for three days, I decided to call the dives before we left for New York and the dive boat Wahoo because I wanted some more practice time to "dial everything in" and I was given a lot of pressure by both my boss & MHK to dive. I asked, "What happened to a guy being able to call a dive at any time for any reason; no questions asked?" I decided not to be pressured into diving. Things just didn't feel right. Not that I thought my life would be in danger or that I was afraid to dive. I just knew that I wouldn't be mentally ready to enjoy myself and that the extra task loading would add stress to what was already a very stressful and intense course. I bailed and they spent a lousy night trying to sleep in SUV's waiting to get on the boat, had some equipment issues, but they had fun. Whereas, I would not have that weekend.

~ Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users