• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Bouyancy weight freshwater vs saltwater

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hexkraut

Hexkraut

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced
  • Logged Dives:1000

Posted 08 August 2006 - 10:49 AM

How much added weight difference is it if I'm perfectly weighted with my shorty in freshwater at 6lb. How much weight should I add for saltwater to compensate?

#2 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

I spend too much time on line

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:21 AM

How much added weight difference is it if I'm perfectly weighted with my shorty in freshwater at 6lb. How much weight should I add for saltwater to compensate?

A rule of thumb that I use is adding 1 pound for each 40 pounds of your total weight (you plus all of your kit).
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#3 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:00 PM

There is no need to guess for a quesiton like this. Here's how you do it. Sorry, math is involved.

You get all of your gear, and you climb on the scale. See how much you weigh. At this weight, if you are "perfectly weighted" as you say (and I have no reason to doubt you :birthday: ), this means that you can figure out exactly how much fresh water you displace. All we need to do is to displace that much water in salt water to be "perfectly weighted" there.

Let's say that with all gear and your six pound weight, you weigh 187.2 pounds. Since we all remember (you do remember, don't you? :wavey: ) that fresh water weighs 62.4 pounds per cubic foot, we can determine how many cubic feet you displace in the water by dividing your total weight by the amount of weight displaced by a cubic foot of fresh water: 187.2 / 62.4 = 3 cubic feet of fresh water displaced.

Now, we need to figure out how to make you displace the same amount in salt water. Salt water weighs 64 pounds per cubic foot. If you were properly weighted, you would displace 3 cubic feet of salt water (just like you do in fresh water because your size has not changed): 3 * 64 = 192 pounds.

What is the difference?: 192 - 187.2 = 4.8 pounds. So, let's call it five pounds.

BTW, the density changes slightly depending on temperature and salinity. So, please, no nitpicking about the fractions. :P
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#4 Terri

Terri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:08 PM

There is no need to guess for a quesiton like this. Here's how you do it. Sorry, math is involved.

Oh no....not math!!! :P

:birthday:
'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#5 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:15 PM

A rule of thumb that I use is adding 1 pound for each 40 pounds of your total weight(you plus all of your kit).

Or a diver weighing 187.2lbs with all gear and your six pound weight, using Capn Jack's Rule of Thumb, would come up with the same rounded answer (5lbs):

187.2 / 40lbs = 4.68

I readily use rules of thumb, especially when weighting new divers to start with and tweak further when in the water and as the dives progress.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#6 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:21 PM

Or you can simply take that total weight and multiply by .024 or add 1 lb for every 40 lbs. All of them work.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#7 JackBSwift

JackBSwift

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EANx
  • Logged Dives:60

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:36 PM

what happens if one train is leaving Boston at 9 am with a speed of 75 miles and hour while another leaves San Diego...... oh wait.. wrong science problem, sorry
"Love What You Do.....Do What You Love."

#8 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:46 PM

what happens if one train is leaving Boston at 9 am with a speed of 75 miles and hour while another leaves San Diego...... oh wait.. wrong science problem, sorry

That's quite all right, the answer is Thursday at 6 PM in the corner bar.

PlatypusMan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users