• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Seal dive in MA

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 madlobster

madlobster

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 11 September 2006 - 05:58 PM

Pete, perhaps if you could post what the differences in the pricing is people could see what the the spread is and make a decision as to cost/benefit :D

Edited by madlobster, 11 September 2006 - 05:58 PM.

"The thing about dreams is sometimes you get to live'em out"- Payne Stewart

#17 Knitrofix

Knitrofix

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:600

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:25 PM

Pete, perhaps if you could post what the differences in the pricing is people could see what the the spread is and make a decision as to cost/benefit :birthday:

:blink: Sure thing!
Here goes! The way the dive shop in Gloucester works their charters is in order for someone to pick the type of dive that the charter will do, someone needs to be the first to financialy secure the minimum number of spots for that particular day. During this time of year, they only run 1 trip on Fridays and 2 trips on all the other days. Reserving the boat for a Friday the minimum number of spots to reserve is 6. on a Saturday the minumum number , I believe, is 24 spots. Even though Saturday would probably work best for everyone, the dive shop would use the credit card of the first person that reserves the boat, to secure the 24 spots. Any spots that aren't filled, would be charged to that credit card. :D By going on a Friday, the risk of not filling the minimum number of spots is reduce dramatically. I think that's all?? I've sent the contact info off to Kamala. Once we get a sense for the amount of interest that exists, we can go from there. Right now they have Friday Oct. 27th opened. It'll probably be that way for at least another week or so. After that it could be a different story. By the way this booking strategy they have is just for seal dive charters. If we wanted to do some wreck dives or lobster dives instead of the seal dive, then we'd be able to pick the dive sites by being the first ones to pick a day that hasn't been scheduled yet like Saturday Oct 28th and we could secure the boat by committing to the minimum number of spots which would be 2. They have 2 boats, a big one and a small one (6 divers). The boat we would get would depend on how fast we could get more than 6 divers. Hope this helps! :D

Edited by Knitrofix, 11 September 2006 - 07:40 PM.

#18 madlobster

madlobster

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 12 September 2006 - 03:38 PM

Great information Pete. Boy they really want that Saturday commitment huh? Did I understand correctly though the only one they require (24) for is the seal dive but we could do a wreck or lobster dive with a commitment of as few as (2)? :welcome: Please keep me psoted as this moves on (as in securing the boat) as I'd try to free myself for that day(unsure as of now if it would fly). As stated I may have 2-3 others that share this interest albiet not all single, would it me an issue :fish2: ?
"The thing about dreams is sometimes you get to live'em out"- Payne Stewart

#19 Knitrofix

Knitrofix

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:600

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:14 PM

Great information Pete. Boy they really want that Saturday commitment huh? Did I understand correctly though the only one they require (24) for is the seal dive but we could do a wreck or lobster dive with a commitment of as few as (2)? :wavey: Please keep me psoted as this moves on (as in securing the boat) as I'd try to free myself for that day(unsure as of now if it would fly). As stated I may have 2-3 others that share this interest albiet not all single, would it me an issue :cool2: ?

That's right, they only do that for the seal dives. For lobsters or wrecks, we can reserve the boat by having 2 divers. I've done that many times in the past. I'll get another diver and pick a day good for the two of us, check their schedule and pick a day that is open and then pick what dive sites we'd like to dive. There have been times when there has only been the 2 of us on the boat. There's nothing like having the entire boat to spread out in and dive the sites we picked! :twist: As for the 2-3 other that you have, by all means! The more the merrier! I'm also going to start looking at another dive shop that Tom a.k.a scubagypsy, suggested out of New Hampshire. I'll be posting that information as soon as I give them a call.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users