• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Lessons learned on the Oriskany

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 17 August 2006 - 01:20 PM

Thanks Perrone. Teaming up with the right buddy is half the battle in diving in my opinion.

aw crud, no pressure...
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#32 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 01:34 PM

Thats not pressure...

Pressure defined:

Cave course, instructor for course is also owner of dive shop where you work. Instructors personal friend will be assistant instructor. Your dive buddies are assistant instructors girlfriend, and instructors daughter.

Think I'm sweating my dive planning for next week a bit? :teeth:

Edited by PerroneFord, 17 August 2006 - 01:34 PM.

#33 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 17 August 2006 - 02:40 PM

PF,

you'll blow them all away so whats to worry??

I love this topic...it reminds me that I'm not the only one who has has 'questionable' dive buddies...thanks for posting this!

#34 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:11 PM

I want to make something clear here. I am *NOT* throwing my dive buddy under the bus here. He was put in a situation that was confusing, and was probably not used to dealing with it. It's a VERY tough decision to be caught in the middle between two divers, one who is your designated buddy, and the captain of the boat who can get you home safely. He had also made the choice to do a "trust me" dive since he had no instrumentation.

In overhead diving, you learn the dangers of doing this kind of dive but it is STANDARD fare for recreational diving. It was my intent to allow him to dive to the extent of his training and not throw him any curveballs. So let's not judge the guy too harshly. He has a hell of a lot more diving experience than me.

#35 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:57 PM

OK Perrone, I gotta ask. Was the DM on board a licensed captain? If he wasn't, then you had a charter with no captain on board which is illegal. The captain can lose his license.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#36 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:01 PM

I don't think anyone is being overly judgemental of your dive buddy. He was probably more narc'd than he thought and followed the person he thought had more experience. Plus, he most likely thought of the Captain as being the leader of the trio. And, without instruments, he may not have realized how deep he was

this is an excellent example of how we should all learn something from every dive we do.

#37 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:13 PM

OK Perrone, I gotta ask. Was the DM on board a licensed captain? If he wasn't, then you had a charter with no captain on board which is illegal. The captain can lose his license.

I did not ask for his license, but apparently he did have one. He was very new to being a DM though and we were made aware of this. He did run the boat on the way in for some time and seemed comfortable and competent.

#38 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:12 PM

I did not ask for his license, but apparently he did have one. He was very new to being a DM though and we were made aware of this. He did run the boat on the way in for some time and seemed comfortable and competent.

I don't know the Florida laws so maybe someone can clear this up but does the law require a captain on board a boat at anchor and not underpower?Just trying to get a clearer understanding and how things are different from where I am.

#39 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:15 PM

I don't know the Florida laws so maybe someone can clear this up but does the law require a captain on board a boat at anchor and not underpower?Just trying to get a clearer understanding and how things are different from where I am.

I believe so.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#40 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:03 PM

I believe so.

I understand requiring a crew member on board but does this also apply when the boat is tied to the dock?

#41 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 18 August 2006 - 04:51 AM

It's not a state law, it's Federal, as is the license. A licensed captain is required on board from the beginning of the charter until the end - underway, at anchor or moored. At the dock is either before or after the charter.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#42 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 18 August 2006 - 11:08 AM

Thats not pressure...

Pressure defined:

Cave course, instructor for course is also owner of dive shop where you work. Instructors personal friend will be assistant instructor. Your dive buddies are assistant instructors girlfriend, and instructors daughter.

Think I'm sweating my dive planning for next week a bit? :sleepy:

Real pressure would be if the instructor's daughter was your age, single, and smokin' hot!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#43 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 11:12 AM

Well, she's not my age.... :sleepy:

#44 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 18 August 2006 - 11:20 AM

Just so long as she's legal, my friend! We don't want you doing a long surface interval at SuperMax!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#45 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 11:27 AM

LOL! Yes, she's legal. And she makes great cookies. LOL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users