• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

PNW Sea Critter of the Month – July/August: Sailfin Sculpin

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:17 PM

Sailfin sculpin
Nautichthys oculofasciatus

Cottidae family

Description: Sailfin sculpins have a beautiful lacey–like extremely elongated first dorsal fin that ripples down to long second dorsal and anal fins. The large sailfin at the front of the dorsal fin is an easy ID feature although it can be folded down. They also have an identifying dark bar through the eye joining a dark flap of skin over each eye.

Color: cream or brown.

Size: Up to 8 inches

Habitat: Sailfins live on rocky reefs and outcroppings, and on adjacent sand bottom.

Range: From southern California to Alaska.

Depth: From shallow water down to over 360 ft.

Behavior: Blending in with its surroundings, the sailfin sculpin waves its first dorsal fin back and forth matching time with seaweed movement. This disruptive mimicry of seaweed obscures the movement of the fish and may enable close approach to prey. They slowly approach their prey prior to hopping forward and engulfing them. Nocturnally active, its prey is small invertebrates/crustaceans. During they day they have been known to sling upside down in crevices - look careful to spot one since all you may see is the dorsal fin waving like a piece of seaweed...

Interesting Fact: Larval sailfin sculpins develop extremely elongate pectoral fins that are spread like butterfly wings and used to glide down through the water column while the larva forages on zooplankton. This behavior enables sailfin sculpins to reach relatively large sizes before permanently settling during late spring.

Posted Image

Let us know if you spot one this month!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#2 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 16 August 2006 - 03:31 PM

I spotted two Tuesday night. Interesting fish.

#3 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:22 PM

One of my favorite Sculpins...
Ok I'll admit it.. I love most of the sculpins.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users