• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

What's in your tank?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 18 August 2006 - 11:48 PM

Grey,
You type faster than me :cool2:

The AAUS defines Nitrox this way: Nitrox is defined for these guidelines as breathing mixtures composed predominately of nitrogen and oxygen, most commonly produced by the addition of oxygen or the removal of nitrogen from air.

RXScuba.com states: Looking at the above definitions we see that nitrox is a combination of Oxygen and Nitrogen -- to be specific, any combination of Oxygen and Nitrogen results in Nitrox.

Most definitions I've seen simply state Nitrox is a gas mixture predominantly composed of nitrogen and oxygen. Those definitions do not state the mix must be higher than 21% (air). Some of the professional divers here state they dive EAN21.

So these do not preclude Nitrox mixes being 21% or less. Your mileage may vary.

To my knowledge there are no Nitrox mixes less than 21% since that would require the removal of oxygen from air. At that point one would use Heliox or Trimix. :cool2:

There are divers that do mixes < 21% for deep diving. Perhaps not commonly, but it is done by some.

Well there are 3 types of NITROX
1) Hyper >21%
2)Hyoxic <21%
3)Normoxic=21%

The scuba industry accepts the use of the word nitox to usually mean >21%.Mostly because there is no reason(that I can think of) why one would a hypoxic nitox mix for diving.This is not to say that the use of hypoxic doen't exist but it is no longer considered nitox as a 3rd(inert) gas has been added or your using heliox(which in no way resembles nitrox).
THe word nitrox is a poor choice but sounded better oxtrox. I belive that 'enriched air' and EANx are copyrighted but don't know for sure but do better describe the gas from a diver's perspective.

Edited by 6Gill, 18 August 2006 - 11:49 PM.

#32 jextract

jextract

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:07 AM

Not to mention the PITA factor. My nitrox tank is O2 clean, because the primary place I get it filled does partial pressure (SSA in Woodland Hills, the other PP-fill is Malibu Divers courtesy of our own Grant Graves). Other places that fill it are banked, like Hollywoodivers. Now if I take it out on a boat that has it banked, I'm screwed at my primary LDS. If it's easy and not that much of a premium and is appropriate for my diving, I'll do it; if it's a lot more or a PITA I won't.

What are you talking about? Why can't you put banked EAN in your tank and then take it back to your local shop? This makes no sense to me.

Because neither place that fills banked will guarantee that my tank is still O2-clean, post-fill.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#33 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:42 AM

What are you talking about? Why can't you put banked EAN in your tank and then take it back to your local shop? This makes no sense to me.

Because neither place that fills banked will guarantee that my tank is still O2-clean, post-fill.

Doesn't this seem odd to you?

There are only 1 of three scenarios available.

1. They are mixing their own Nitrox in which case they are PP blending into their own banks.

2. They are buying premixed EAN in which case someone else is PP blending into tanks and delivering them.

3. They are using DNAX filtering and making Nitrox from air. In which case the air might not be clean enough.

I keep my single 80 as an "air" tank. It might be PP clean, but it might not. I'll check it next month. However, if you have interest, you could take the PSI course and get the gear to oxygen clean and inspect your own gear. This is what I did.

#34 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Board Status:Looking for freedive-friendly trips
  • Cert Level:Advanced, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~180

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:18 AM

Beats diving WITHOUT air!

As a freediver I beg to differ.
Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady
Bass player for the band formerly known as Opulent.

"'
I'm only wearing black until they come out with something darker..."

#35 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:44 AM

Beats diving WITHOUT air!

As a freediver I beg to differ.

Ah, my dear Mermaid... you dive with air, it is just packaged in a different way!

#36 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:01 PM

DrBill, it's always about the packaging with you! :cool1:

#37 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 21 August 2006 - 03:45 PM

Doesn't this seem odd to you?

There are only 1 of three scenarios available.

1. They are mixing their own Nitrox in which case they are PP blending into their own banks.

2. They are buying premixed EAN in which case someone else is PP blending into tanks and delivering them.

3. They are using DNAX filtering and making Nitrox from air. In which case the air might not be clean enough.

I keep my single 80 as an "air" tank. It might be PP clean, but it might not. I'll check it next month. However, if you have interest, you could take the PSI course and get the gear to oxygen clean and inspect your own gear. This is what I did.

I believe it to be scenario #3.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#38 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 03:59 PM

That's actually quite unusual, because the filtration systems are VERY expensive. It's usually less expensive to go to a blending stik. But hey, if that's what you've got, then that's what you've got.

Sounds like it's time for you to start buying some bottles and get a booster! :D

#39 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:47 PM

To slide back on topic -

The only non-agency specific reference I have handy is the U.S. Navy Diving Manual. (and you can debate the politics of it, too)

It has two interesting chapters in volume two - a chapter on "SCUBA Air Diving Operations" (chapter 7), and one on "Nitrogen-Oxygen Diving Operations" (chapter 10) - where, by the way, NITROX diving is defined as

Nitrogen-oxygen (NITROX) diving is a unique type of diving using nitrogen-oxygen breathing gas mixtures ranging from 75 percent nitrogen/25 percent oxygen to 60 percent nitrogen/40 percent oxygen.

It has an ENTIRE volume (three) dedicated to "Mixed Gas"" where it goes into detail about all of that stuff.

So, when I talk about Air, I'm talking 21% stuff like we normally find in the atmosphere at the surface of our planet. When I say NITROX, I mean the nitrogen-oxygen mix as defined by my alma mater. And when I say Mixed Gas, I'm talking the stuff with helium or some other inert thingy squeezed in to get the oxygen down < 21%.

Feel free to choose your own labels, but this is what I'm going to continue to use.

Edited by Capn Jack, 21 August 2006 - 04:48 PM.

No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#40 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 21 August 2006 - 05:29 PM

Chapter 15 of the NOAA Diving Manual is Nitrox Diving. In paragraph 2 of the chapter, I find, "'Nitrox' is a generic term that can be used for any gaseous mixture of nitrogen and oxygen, but in the contex of this chaper, the implication is that nitrox is a mixture with more oxygen than that in air."

The glossary defines it: "nitrox [nytrahks] A breathing mixture containing nitrogen and oxygen in various proportions."
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#41 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 21 August 2006 - 05:41 PM

So, would it be fair to say that the term Nitrox when used in general in the industry refers to a Nitrogen/Oxygen mix where the O2 % is greater than 21%?

This is not meaning how do YOU personally use the term, it is what is common-use in the scuba industry.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#42 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 05:45 PM

So, would it be fair to say that the term Nitrox when used in general in the industry refers to a Nitrogen/Oxygen mix where the O2 % is greater than 21%?

This is not meaning how do YOU personally use the term, it is what is common-use in the scuba industry.

Yes, and if you'll look at post 24 of this thread, you'll see I said that 3 days ago.

DSSW,

WWW™

#43 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 21 August 2006 - 05:47 PM

Yes, and if you'll look at post 24 of this thread, you'll see I said that 3 days ago.

so I wasted everyone's time with my post?

Post #24 on this thread on my copmuter is from drbill, however if you meant this post:

You're both right. Nitrox is any mixture of oxygen and nitrogen, although it is only EAN if the oxygen per centage is higher than 21. Typically when referring to nitrox, divers mean EAN.

my post was in reference to the use in the diving industry, but regardless I didn't realize we couldn't make similar posts.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#44 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 05:57 PM

so I wasted everyone's time with my post?

Post #24 on this thread on my copmuter is from drbill, however if you meant this post:

You're both right. Nitrox is any mixture of oxygen and nitrogen, although it is only EAN if the oxygen per centage is higher than 21. Typically when referring to nitrox, divers mean EAN.

I was referring to the diving industry.

I wouldn't say you wasted anyone's time. I was merely pointing out that we are in agreement and have been in agreement.

Mine still shows it as post 24, sorry ours aren't matching up. That is odd, I wonder why the numbers don't jive.

Aug 18 2006, 11:21 PM Post #24

DSSW,

WWW™

#45 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:02 PM

I wouldn't say you wasted anyone's time. I was merely pointing out that we are in agreement and have been in agreement.

gotcha!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users