• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

"I believe you're looking for me."

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 23 August 2006 - 05:24 PM

On Saturday, August 19, 2006, John Mallard, left his son and another diver to return to shore only to be pushed out to sea. He fought for hours to reach shore on his own after failing to flag down the coastguard search helicopter or lifeboat.

Click here for the full story.

What lessons do you take from this story?
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#2 Hipshot

Hipshot

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:37 PM

Two come to mind immediately:

* strobe light for BC
* safety sausage for BC

Much angst could have been avoided if he could have been spotted at the onset of the search.

Rick
:twist:

#3 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:39 PM

Always bring the EPIRB and the rest of my survival gear. This includes outings where I will be close to shore and in shallow water.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#4 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:42 PM

On Saturday, August 19, 2006, John Mallard, left his son and another diver to return to shore only to be pushed out to sea. He fought for hours to reach shore on his own after failing to flag down the coastguard search helicopter or lifeboat.

Click here for the full story.

Don't go swimming near Tod Head Lighthouse? :twist:

Know your local conditions and your recent experience level and maybe carry more lights than one blinking strobe.

Edited by gcbryan, 23 August 2006 - 06:43 PM.

#5 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:26 PM

Always bring the EPIRB

OK, explanation of the acronym pretty please :twist:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#6 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:34 PM

EPIRB. Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon. If I had one I'd bring it. If I commonly dove in conditions like those I'd get one.

#7 novicediver

novicediver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Logged Dives:19

Posted 23 August 2006 - 10:12 PM

How about never leave your buddy?

#8 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:18 PM

He has a dry sense of humor.

#9 BeachBunny

BeachBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:Not enough but I am working on it!

Posted 24 August 2006 - 12:26 AM

It pays to be a strong swimmer!!
"In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different" CoCo Chanel

beachbunny@singledivers.com

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"
Ghandi

#10 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 24 August 2006 - 05:37 AM

I'm not sure an EPIRB would have helped this guy swimming along the cliffs, last September we spent 1:44 looking for a diver wearing a bright blue and yellow wetsuit which you would think would be easy to spot. We were getting his EPIRB signal but with Darwin islands cliffs echoing the signal we couldn't get a direction fix.
An EPIRB just sends out a signal that you need more than one vessel to triangulate, not GPS numbers.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#11 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 05:45 AM

I'm not sure an EPIRB would have helped this guy swimming along the cliffs, last September we spent 1:44 looking for a diver wearing a bright blue and yellow wetsuit which you would think would be easy to spot. We were getting his EPIRB signal but with Darwin islands cliffs echoing the signal we couldn't get a direction fix.
An EPIRB just sends out a signal that you need more than one vessel to triangulate, not GPS numbers.

Isn't this more or less what they put in airplanes (emergency locator beacon) in case of a crash? I'm talking about small, private airplanes and not all the stuff they put in commercial airplanes.

#12 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:01 AM

Isn't this more or less what they put in airplanes (emergency locator beacon) in case of a crash? I'm talking about small, private airplanes and not all the stuff they put in commercial airplanes.

An EPIRB is just putting a tone out on 121.5 mhz, you need a loop antenna to get a line on the signal, flying up and down that line you will find the signal getting stronger or weaker. It gets easier with two or more vessels/aircraft, where the lines cross is the signal source but when you get close to the source it's not as accurate and seeing a diver in the water is not easy. This is when the safety sausage, mirrors, strobes, your cameras flash, flares, dye markers or waving your bright fins come in handy. You DIR folks all in black, it was nice knowing you!
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#13 sudsymark

sudsymark

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • Cert Level:Certified as teenager, SSI DiveCon and Scuba Ranger Instructor
  • Logged Dives:130

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:48 AM

I'm all for not leaving your buddy. All it takes is a second for something to go wrong.
In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we underdstand; and we will only understand what we are taught. -Baba Dioum

#14 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:17 AM

maybe carry more lights than one blinking strobe.

I'm with gcbryan - add a backup light to the list.

#15 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:33 PM

He has a dry sense of humor.

DOH!
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users