• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Diving the KISS Sport

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 22 September 2006 - 12:24 AM

So after many delays I did my first RB dive on the KISS Sport.Will I turn my back on OC...no,but not because of any issues diving the KISS(and yes there where operator issues,the RB work fine)
A brief description of the unit....it is probably the simplist of all the RBs out there and the only electronics are the PPO2 monitors.Unlike most ECCRs that use solinoids to inject gas into the loop the KISS uses a constant bleed of O2 through an orfice which you set to your metabolic O2 rate.You also have a manual O2 to add O2 into the loop for what ever reason.THe unit weight is 39lbs(alum case) 45lbs(SS case) and you can expect 3hrs durration in cold water(scrubber sets the limit). http://www.jetsam.ca will provide more technical info and pics.
Observations diving...don't breath out of my nose,breathing is of no use for fine tuning bouancy control, need to take some weight off(being overweighted makes for more work,because it is a back counter lung RB I can tell how my trim is by breathing resistance changes(level,head up or head down.)
The KISS just bolts up to my BP/W which is nice and I don't have to relearn gear placement and it feels very similar to having a small set of doubbles on.
Another feature I like in its simplicity is the maintance issue.
I'm going to also get around to diving the KISS Classic.
Is it the best system out there,I can't decide for you but I belive it is for me.I do have some biases as in that it is locally made,I knew Gorden Smith(the designer) and the thinking that went into the RB.I have easy access to parts and info(24/7).
Even if you'll never dive a RB,if you get a chance even if only in a pool(uner qualified supervision) try it.

#2 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 22 September 2006 - 08:58 AM

I've been waiting for this report. Glad you got the chance to write it up.

So, are you going to go with the Sport or the Classic once you decide to buy?
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#3 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:01 PM

Yay! Another KISS fan!

I've blown off getting certified this year, 'cos the guy down in Houston wouldn't run a class just for me... Sigh. One of the shops I'd talked to in my recent travels was VERY interesting, though: DiveTech in Grand Cayman.

They offer instruction on the Draeger, Inspiration, Evolution, KISS Sport & Classic, Meg and Optima. That's a decent list for a dive shop! Everyone that works there has multiple instructor certs, so they can handle just about anything the rec or tech diver might need. Significantly, they also have units for rent. If you're not entirely certain that an $8000 rebreather is for you, it's wise to try it first before you have to sell it on eBay!

The main DiveTech shop is part of the Cobalt Coast resort, at the extreme North-West tip of the island. I saw two others scattered around the island (there may be more) but the main tech center is there at Cobalt. It's a nice place, and I liked the folks I talked to. I'll probably head down there sometime next year to get carded on the KISS, so I can start scaring the normal folks on some trips. :-D

I've been trying for 2 years to get certified, but never DID match up with a US-based instructor that had the time and inclination. My last attempt with a guy down near Houston came up dry, 'cos I didn't have 2 or 3 friends that wanted to get KISS certified at the same time. :-D

That's not an issue with DiveTech. Oh, I'm sure that they'd rather have a small group, but they'll work with ya one-on-one if needed, and they won't cancel at the last minute like another gent I'd hooked up with.

#4 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 06:20 PM

I've been trying for 2 years to get certified, but never DID match up with a US-based instructor that had the time and inclination. My last attempt with a guy down near Houston came up dry, 'cos I didn't have 2 or 3 friends that wanted to get KISS certified at the same time. :-D

That's not an issue with DiveTech. Oh, I'm sure that they'd rather have a small group, but they'll work with ya one-on-one if needed, and they won't cancel at the last minute like another gent I'd hooked up with.

You should have said something. PM me, I can solve your problem.

#5 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 20 October 2006 - 07:16 PM

On May 19-26, 2007, this area has a special week reserved just for CCR divers, Inner Space Week. I hope I can afford to attend this year.

I am told of dives with four run times at this event. :-D It will be nice to give my rebreather the work out for which it has been designed. Looking forward to it.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users