• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Another fantastic trip to Curacao

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Terri

Terri

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 01 October 2006 - 06:09 PM

I just returned from another fabulous week of diving in Curacao – Sept 7th through Sept 14th! If you’re looking for a completely relaxed, hassle free dive trip experience, check out the Dive Bus! They’ve got great package rates, partners with various accommodation options, and a dive crew to beat all others!

I arrived in Curacao Thursday, Sept 7 and settled in to the gorgeous Marriott resort with a room overlooking the ocean.

view_from_balcony.jpg

Friday, Sept 8
2 dives on Playa Kalki (Alice in Wonderland)
1st dive: 61 minutes @ 72 ft
Ahhhh…it’s great to be diving again!! Saw all the usual suspects – parrotfish, butterfly fish, damsels, wrasse, grunts, trunkfish, porcupine fish, morays, etc. Also spotted a HUGE sea turtle about 50 feet below – as well as a gorgeous spotted eagle ray that soared within 20 feet of us.

eagle_ray2.jpg

On the surface interval, we were greeted by a very friendly donkey. He was quite interested in our oranges and other assorted snacks. He even tried to nibble on a few pieces of SCUBA gear!

our_friendly_donkey.jpg

2nd dive: 58 minutes @ 68 ft
It’s raining fish! It’s amazing how these dives have you feeling like you’re diving in an aquarium! You don’t have to ‘spot’ fish – you just have to try to pay attention to all the fish everywhere! Another spotted eagle ray (dragging some fishing line) and a juvenile trunkfish (I LOVE baby trunkfish!)

baby_trunkfish.jpg

And our friendly donkey was waiting for us when we returned from the 2nd dive!

Saturday – Monday (Sept 9th through Sept 11th)

EFR and Dive Rescue course – see report under Dive Training here

Tuesday – Sept 12th
1st Dive: Car Pile 53 minutes @ 106 ft
This is my 3rd dive on Car Pile and it never ceases to be an amazing dive! There’s just a heap of cars, beams, etc starting around 80’ or so. Lots of critters hanging around here – including a HUGE green moray making his home in one of the open tubes and 3 crab tucked in under another piece of rubble. Heading back from car pile, we spotted 8 squid just hanging around the reef, as well as a MASSIVE peacock flounder (about the size of my Thanksgiving turkey platter) camouflaged in the sand.

2nd Dive: Pierbaai 61 minutes @ 60 ft
This is the house reef for the Dive Bus – and a popular reef for Curacao local divers. Suzy and I had a fantastic relaxing dive, with the surge bouncing us around a bit, but it was still fun! Here I am enjoying the scenery:

terri_enjoying_the_scenery.jpg

As well as some great shots Suzy took along the way:

baby_trunkfish2.jpg green_moray.jpg spiked_tail_eel2.jpg

Wednesday, Sept 13th
Infamous Tug Boat
1st dive: 61 minutes @ 77 ft
2nd dive: 58 minutes @ 74 ft

These are my 4th and 5th dives on Tug Boat – it’s like visiting an old friend. You start out the dive on a wall, then make your way back to do your safety stop hanging out at the tugboat around 15’…the ultimate safety stop! We spotted some scorpionfish, several spotted morays, and a multitude of banded coral shrimp. Along the safety stop at tug boat, we had some friendly parrotfish that insisted on introducing themselves fish-face to mask! And despite our efforts, we were foiled by the illusive frogfish! Andy’s been able to spot several frogfish at Tug Boat, but we were unsuccessful – although I found a piece of coral that REALLY looked like one – so much so that we had to look at it carefully to make sure!

barracuda.jpg jellyfish.jpg

On the second dive, we chose a different part of the wall to dive and ended up the dive going under the pier – I love that – a little spooky, but teeming with French Angelfish!

under_the_pier.jpg

As you can probably tell, I had a fantastic trip! So much so, that I’m burning off another week of vacation by heading down there again November 15th – 21st. Anyone want to join me!? (American Airlines is having great sales to the Caribbean right now – direct flights into Curacao from Miami!)

Special thanks to the Dive Bus crew – Suzy, Mark, Andy and Emille – for making my trip another great experience.

Suzy – for being such a wonderful, warm friend – and a relaxed dive buddy photographer to pick up great photos on our dive

Emille – for always being there to refill my coffee (even though I had a terrible tendency of SPILLING it!)

Mark – for being a great dive master and buddy – always spotting cool stuff for us to see!

Attached Images

• our_friendly_donkey.jpg

Edited by Terri, 01 October 2006 - 06:18 PM.

'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#2 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 06:22 PM

Very nice report, Terri! :o Glad you had a great time!

#3 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 02 October 2006 - 08:06 AM

Looks like a great trip. Thanks for the report.

#4 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 02 October 2006 - 08:29 AM

Sounds wonderful. :cheerleader:
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#5 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:04 AM

Awesome!! Congratulations!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users