• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Boat Dives for Beginners

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#91 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 21 December 2006 - 01:11 PM

Every boat that I have been on more than once has water to drink and some crackers or pretzels minimum. Some have those juice packs that you stab a straw into, fresh cut-up pineapple... something to really refresh us during the surface interval.

More than 1/2 my dives have been on boats that carry more than 6 passengers. Those boats have a lot more regulations on them from the coast guard. So those boats always point out the oxygen, fire extinguishers, EPIRB, marine radio, etc etc.

I also have noticed a way to guarantee that the crew is courteous and helpful to me. During the captain's briefing, do not do ANYTHING other than look at him/her and listen intentively. During the divemaster briefing do not do ANYTHING other than look at him/her and listen intentively. Your sincere interest in what they have to say will guarantee that they have an interest in your recreational activities.

I imagine several reasons for this, but the first would be that if the captain and divemaster giving the briefing figure that the people that are fiddling with regulators while they are talking already know everything and that nothing can be done improve their experience. I have been on one particular boat in Deerfield Beach, Fla at least 10 times. Although I could memorize the crew's instructions, I still always STOP preparing my gear, look directly at the captain or divemaster as they talk, and I pay attention. Seems I always have to ask when we get the drift dive instructions; if they say it is a "south current" some people mean we will drift to the south and others mean the current is from the south (we will drift north).

I notice that those of us that really listen to the crew's instructions do get treated better than the divers that ignore the crew.

I really feel good when I get to the boat and the crew recognizes me. They may not remember my name, but they remember that I am a 'good customer' not a complainer.

To summarize, the best way to have the greatest dive trip on a boat around here is to pay attention to the crew. They are trying to help me have a great time so I will be a repeat customer.

#92 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 09:22 PM

Thx, Geek! For the advice and 5 more reasons why I'll always be a *tropical* diver. :-D

Darn you Geek, sounds like you scared Annasea away from the cold water stuff for sure :lmao:

No need to *thank* Geek... I was a www before I even thought about diving! :lmao:

#93 Geek

Geek

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Adv. Nitrox/Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:130+

Posted 21 December 2006 - 10:12 PM

Thx, Geek! For the advice and 5 more reasons why I'll always be a *tropical* diver. :-D

Darn you Geek, sounds like you scared Annasea away from the cold water stuff for sure :P

No need to *thank* Geek... I was a www before I even thought about diving! :lmao:

Sorry about that! :lmao:

Hey, Annasea! Are you interested in one of the New Years Day dives here in the northeast? I don't actually do these. I just watch the other crazies. It's very amusing. :lmao:

#94 dive1dennis

dive1dennis

Getting started

• Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Cert Level:Deco Procedures / Intro to Cave
  • Logged Dives:250

Posted 21 December 2006 - 10:26 PM

Darn you Geek, sounds like you scared Annasea away from the cold water stuff for sure :lmao:

So does that mean that we can't talk you into an ice dive?
It's a lot of fun, really! :lmao:
Dennis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users