• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Travelling with alot of gear

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:48 AM

Traveling with a lot of gear.

As divers we tend to travel with a lot more in our bags then the average traveler. Usually we can fit our gear into the menial baggage limits that have been placed on travelers (it certainly isn’t a cost cutting measure as the airlines are still loosing money). Sometimes we do make it with in the limits and sometimes we don’t and end up having to pay that overweight bag fee of around $25-80+, or extra bag fees of $70+.

From time to time it is worth it and sometimes it is not. In my case since most of the time I travel with a lot of photo gear I some times have a lot more then what I can check or even carry on. For example on this trip to North Carolina I was carrying my Photo backpack as well as my underwater camera rig and 2 checked bags (1 cloths, 1 dive gear) which is the max under the current guidelines from TSA and the airlines. One side note I was carrying a 3rd carry-on bag but this was dedicated to film only and I had cleared this in-advance with TSA and the airlines, this is a different subject that can be covered at a later date.

Most airlines will allow you to check extra bags for a fee (average is around $50-80 depending on the airline) if you would like but this doesn’t offer any extra protection or insurance as per the standard $9.07 per pound fee they will give you if the bag is lost, and depending on the airline they wont let you buy insurance for the bag, which means if they destroy they can get away from having to pay for what they damage (theft is a different issue).

Depending on what you are traveling with you may want to consider some other options to get the items we need to where we are going. For this you have a couple of options of a traditional shipper or you could use airline cargo service. I have looked into this recently because I have a project that’s in the works that is going to need me to basically take a full photo studio for this project , as renting the gear in the area isn’t a option due to no places rent this type of gear near the location. Just based off the initial data I knew that I would not be able to put all of this in checked luggage (nor would I).

It was at this point that I explored other options for getting the gear to my destination. First I looked at traditional shippers as most everybody knows them and there service. First was the post office but decided that it wasn’t cost effective and delivery timeframe was what I thought it would be for smaller items(from 5-25lbs ) I would use this route but for 250lbs of gear not so much. Then looking at UPS and FedEx realized that they where even more for the same service, and also reading the fine print on the agreements the insurance offered wouldn’t do. It was at this point a mentor of mine said I should look at the airlines cargo services. This looked promising as since im flying to the destination this might be easier to use this. This example is for domestic, for international I would probably go the same route but I would do a cost comparison once I knew the dimension, weight, insurance needed for the gear.

With Airline cargo shipping you have 3 options general freight, Rush/Priority, and NFO (Next flight Out); the traditional equivalents would be ground, 2nd day air, and Overnight/Same day delivery. Basically you pack all of the items you’re going to ship in boxes or containers and bring them to the cargo terminal at the airport (sometimes as short as 2 hours prior to the flight) where they will be logged into the system and taken to airside for loading. Depending on the carrier you may be able to load the items into a container prior to it going airside. Then after its flight depending on the carrier you can pick it up in terminal or at the cargo facility about 30mins after its on the ground. So if your flying it really can be worth it depending on the weight, value, etc.

Here’s a price comparison of various methods (therotical)

Item dimensions 45x30x15 inches weight 200lbs insurance value $15000, pallet load

Dallas, Texas to Raleigh, North Carolina (DFW to RDU) or shipping from Plano Texas to Fisherman’s Inn in Atlantic Beach NC

Fedex
1 Day Freight $856.86
2 Day Freight $608.52
3 Day Freight $566.86

UPS
Next Day Air Freight $904.21
2nd Day Air Freight $741.81
Ground $598.54 (delivery timeframe 5 Days)

USPS

Parcel post $1567.21 *
- Would have to be broken into 70 lb packages with max value of $5000 each and less then 70 linear inches, delivery time 10-14 days. Not effective

DHL
Next Day $550.23
Second Day $323.55
Ground $183.22 (delivery timeframe 6 days)
-package max weight 150 lbs

Southwest Cargo
NFO $315.94 ( NFO = Next Flight out)
Rush/Priority $247.19
Freight $223.81
Customer service emails answered within 2 hours

American Airlines Cargo
ConfirmedFS $508.23
- details hard to get had to contact customer service plus restrictions on size. Its better to fill a complete container for economics but that’s 100 Ft3 which more then I need unless it was all the gear everyone on a SD trip. Customer service answered emails next business day.

United Cargo
- unable to get quote, email sent on july 20th no word since.

Delta Cargo
- unable to get quote, email sent july 21st no word since.

In Conclusion
So using this example Southwests cargo service would be my best option for shipping the amount of gear I need to North Carolina, or DHL if shipping.

In light of the recent events overseas that are going to effect US travel shortly for me air cargo is becoming more of the way I will need to go if I will be traveling by air with any significant amount of gear as security is becoming a 100 ton gorilla.

Edited by Scubatooth, 12 October 2006 - 09:02 AM.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#2 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 12 October 2006 - 09:18 AM

Excellent post. Now that I have the CCR, I am going to have to figure out my alternatives for traveling, and I am so glad that you did a lot of the homework for me.

Does anyone have any equivalent information regarding international destinations (since ground is not an option in most cases)?
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#3 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 09:21 AM

Howard

I have looked at some international for the shippers and depending on the location is extremely expensive(IE shipping a case (with the weight and dimensions above)to rotan was like over a grand.

howard what airlines do you prefer and i could do some research for you.

Dan

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#4 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 09:29 AM

Some destinations that come to mind would be Cancun, Mexico, the Cayman Islands, and the Dominican Republic. Actually, in those cases, I was thinking Miami is a major port, and that shipping (on a ship) might be the way to go.

However, there still are my wish list destinations like the Red Sea, and perhaps Australia and points north of that. That's where I am guessing it will start to run a few bucks.

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#5 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 12 October 2006 - 10:58 AM

At those prices it might be cheaper to buy another seat.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#6 seafox

seafox

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Cert Level:Inst for : Recreational, Technical and Closed Circuit Rebreather Instructor, I never stop learning!
  • Logged Dives:4000+

Posted 12 October 2006 - 04:55 PM

Some destinations that come to mind would be Cancun, Mexico, the Cayman Islands, and the Dominican Republic. Actually, in those cases, I was thinking Miami is a major port, and that shipping (on a ship) might be the way to go.

However, there still are my wish list destinations like the Red Sea, and perhaps Australia and points north of that. That's where I am guessing it will start to run a few bucks.

Howard, I am going to the Mayan Riviera for 2 weeks of cave diving after DEMA and to Grenada for two weeks in Feb.
Of course I will take my CCR.
Mexicana allows 2 - 70 lbs suitcases and one 45" (W+L+D) carry on and a personal bag.
I plan to put the cannister, HH, regs in the carry on.
In one suitcase I will put the balance of the Optima and clothes.
In the other suitacse, two bottles and suffucient EAC.
I do plan to rent bail out bottles at the dive centre, which will be 80 cuft bottles.
In the unlikely event this will be overweight Mexicana charges $100
I'll let you know how this turns out!

Cornel

Edited by seafox, 12 October 2006 - 04:57 PM.

Protect the SHARKS!

Excellence is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obstacles as opportunities.

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards!

#7 ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 12 October 2006 - 06:37 PM

Another option for this example is just to drive. A quick check shows that it is about 1350 miles between Plano, TX and Atlantic Beach, NC, with only 2 cities to drive through (Memphis and Knoxville). Figure one can do this drive in 2 days with one economically priced hotel stop along the way. This also offers the benefits of your cargo being under your watch throughout and of having your own vehicle when you arrive at your destination. A quick guess at the cost is, assume 20 mpg, total miles = 2700, gas = $2.10/gal, $283.50 for gas. Figure you should be able to find a roadside hotel for $40 so the total cost would be $363.50 and this now also includes your transportation and no rental car fees. If you add a passenger, you can really cut the price and driving down!
The sea is everything........Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides. The sea is only the embodiment of a supernatural and wonderful existence. It is nothing but love and emotion; it is the 'Living Infinite,' ..........

Capt. Nemo...........20,000 Leagues under the Sea

#8 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX

Posted 12 October 2006 - 06:57 PM

Another option for this example is just to drive. A quick check shows that it is about 1350 miles between Plano, TX and Atlantic Beach, NC, with only 2 cities to drive through (Memphis and Knoxville). Figure one can do this drive in 2 days with one economically priced hotel stop along the way. This also offers the benefits of your cargo being under your watch throughout and of having your own vehicle when you arrive at your destination. A quick guess at the cost is, assume 20 mpg, total miles = 2700, gas = $2.10/gal, $283.50 for gas. Figure you should be able to find a roadside hotel for $40 so the total cost would be $363.50 and this now also includes your transportation and no rental car fees. If you add a passenger, you can really cut the price and driving down!

I'm with you. There once was a time when I wouldn't even consider driving anywhere that took more than a couple of hours to get there. Not anymore. Flying is such a pain these days. If I can afford the extra time it takes to drive, I drive. I've driven to Mich, Florida, New Orleans, Dallas, San Antonio, etc. Of course, when you're going to the Islands, you still have to fly!

#9 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:48 PM

Howard, I am going to the Mayan Riviera for 2 weeks of cave diving after DEMA and to Grenada for two weeks in Feb.
Of course I will take my CCR.
Mexicana allows 2 - 70 lbs suitcases and one 45" (W+L+D) carry on and a personal bag.
I plan to put the cannister, HH, regs in the carry on.
In one suitcase I will put the balance of the Optima and clothes.
In the other suitacse, two bottles and suffucient EAC.
I do plan to rent bail out bottles at the dive centre, which will be 80 cuft bottles.
In the unlikely event this will be overweight Mexicana charges $100
I'll let you know how this turns out!

Cornel

Two weeks would be at least 7 EACs. So, I am guessing you are taking one of the double boxes (8)? That's my biggest worry: having them get crushed during handling.

The CCR itself can be pretty compact when you carry the head in carry on.

#10 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:49 PM

I'm with you. There once was a time when I wouldn't even consider driving anywhere that took more than a couple of hours to get there. Not anymore. Flying is such a pain these days. If I can afford the extra time it takes to drive, I drive. I've driven to Mich, Florida, New Orleans, Dallas, San Antonio, etc. Of course, when you're going to the Islands, you still have to fly!

Naw, think big!

The fantastic amphibious vehicle of Sir Richard Branson – The Gibbs Aquada - which can reach speeds of more than 100 m.p.h. on land and 30 m.p.h. on water...
Posted Image

Talk about getting to a shore dive in style! Move over, James Bond!

#11 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:34 AM

scubapunk

I will agree with you that in some cases driving will be a better alternative to flying to the desination. The reaon that i posted this is that in some cases when traveling and you need additional gear to go with you but cant get it on the plane without getting bent over the wing by the airline. This was mainly offering a suggestion for other possibilites to get to the location with the gear you need, ie photographers, etc.

for me when im traveling alot of the time im traveling with more gear then i can get in my car. good example is the DOM at the end of the month. Im only going to be gone for a couple of days but the car is going to be full with all the gear(camping and cooking) im going to need for the weekend, and thats not bad as its only camping, hauling photo gear is much more challenging.

The example i used in the article is based on a project im planning right now in north carolina for spring of next year is very involved as the mount of gear that is being taken is along the lines of 10 large pelican and haliburton cases weighing in excess of 500 lbs just between the camera, lighting and support gear. plus since im meeting a crew member in NC who has the vechile that will transport the gear i factored that out of the equation, then because of the timeframe constraints on the project flying is the only option as there are 5 shooting days and i only have 8 days to do this in (2 travel days, 1 scout and set up, 5 shooting)

Then driving beyond 500 miles without a co-driver is really hard on me as im only good for about 10 hours(12 really with stops for fuel & food) of driving a day before i get to tired to drive safely. That would make 4+ days of drive time for me and it cuts into the short time frame i have already.

FWIW IMHO

Tooth

#12 Diversitea

Diversitea

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue (did DM training, never finished)
  • Logged Dives:1100- 1200

Posted 14 October 2006 - 09:42 PM

Excellent post. Now that I have the CCR, I am going to have to figure out my alternatives for traveling, and I am so glad that you did a lot of the homework for me.

Does anyone have any equivalent information regarding international destinations (since ground is not an option in most cases)?

I have traveled with 2 70 # boxes as well as all my dive gear to Indonesia (Bali) and on to Wakatobi on their private Charter plane. This was in April. I only had to pay an extra $120 to American Airlines as overage (extra bag). The charge for the extra piece of luggage took it all the way to Bali.

I was taking tea and product to Wakatobi, and leaving it there, so that was why I used boxes. Also, Singapore Air decided that one of my carry-ons would need checking (same trip) - I had a backpack and a regulation size rollaboard and they made me check the rollaboard - but did not charge me an extra piece of luggage.

You need to watch the dimensions of your bag or box - the maximum dimensional size is 62 inches when adding length, width and height. Weight is 70# per bag.

It may well be worth it to pay for an extra piece of luggage rather than the overweight charges for 2 pieces. Also, isn't equipment insurance (such as DAN offers) a cheaper alternative than paying separate insurance for each transit?

I know from shipping stuff overseas, that Insurance is pretty expensive, especially considering the one-time nature of the coverage.

Anyway, I hope that helps! :P

By the way if you're flying on an international carrier without starting out on a domestic flight on another carrier, it is easier to work out the extra luggage issue in my experience. They are more used to people moving lots of stuff from country to country than our US carriers, and may also be more sympathetic - also, in some cases willing to take generous tips to look the other way.....

Edited by Diversitea, 14 October 2006 - 09:44 PM.

Janine
Diversitea

Try Diversitea FREE by Clicking here - use Coupon code SINGLE during checkout!

Premier Members have special discounts in the Diversitea Online Store! Click HERE for the coupon code!
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

#13 seafox

seafox

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Cert Level:Inst for : Recreational, Technical and Closed Circuit Rebreather Instructor, I never stop learning!

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:55 PM

[/quote]
Two weeks would be at least 7 EACs. So, I am guessing you are taking one of the double boxes (8)? That's my biggest worry: having them get crushed during handling.
The CCR itself can be pretty compact when you carry the head in carry on.
[/quote]

Not sure how I am going to handle the EAC's. I am thinking of wrapping each in bubble wrap and using a
hard suitcase. I am still working on this! :cheerleader:
Protect the SHARKS!

Excellence is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obstacles as opportunities.

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards!

#14 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:04 PM

Not sure how I am going to handle the EAC's. I am thinking of wrapping each in bubble wrap and using a

For now, I am limiting myself to destinations that carry the EAC if I am not driving. Otherwise, I will try shipping well in advance to the shop where I am bound, and I will not depart until I have confirmed their receipt of the EACs in good condition.

For the CCR, I bought the storm case. I can always resort to that if I need to.

#15 seafox

seafox

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:16 PM

For now, I am limiting myself to destinations that carry the EAC if I am not driving. Otherwise, I will try shipping well in advance to the shop where I am bound, and I will not depart until I have confirmed their receipt of the EACs in good condition.

For the CCR, I bought the storm case. I can always resort to that if I need to.

I use the storm case as well when I drive to Florida, it's a great case.
I find it too big and heavy for shipping on short flights.
I am driving down to DEMA from Toronto, and spending a week diving in the keys with a group of buddies, before flying out to Mexico from Miami,
so I have lot's of time to figure this out!
I'll let you know how it works out!

Cornel

Edited by seafox, 16 October 2006 - 06:16 PM.

Protect the SHARKS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users