• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

It's gross but I gotta ask...

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 blacklatexozdiver

blacklatexozdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Board Status:-
  • Cert Level:OW, Drysuit, Underwater Naturalist
  • Logged Dives:16 (pretty hard to dive where there's no water...)

Posted 12 January 2006 - 09:24 AM

I know it's been a while since the last post but yet, I have spewed through my reg at about 10m (30') on my first ever ocean dive. Not pleasant but at least I didn't have to bolt to the surface and yes, I did finish the dive.
"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." Albert Einstein

SD's Aussie Connection.

#32 Brinybay

Brinybay

I spend too much time on line

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 12 January 2006 - 12:26 PM

I think we're talking about two different things here. Seasick above water is one thing, chuming underwater is another. If I'm getting seasick above, getting in the water stops it. But when I get back out of the water, the seasickness returns with a vengeance.

In answer to your original question of chuming underwater, I've only done that while diving after eating an Oklahoma breakfast. This was towards the end of a shore dive, closer to shore where the wave action and surge was felt more. I just did as I was trained, leave regulator in. Just took it out and gave it a good rinse when I was done. And yes, the fish love the chunks. Gross, yes, but it happens.
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#33 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 12 January 2006 - 04:46 PM

It happened to me once when I forgot to take Dramamine and we were on very choppy seas. I kept the reg in and was fine. Normally the water would calm me down and it did but I had been tossed around so much in the boat that seasickness was unavoidable.

Someone mentioned just taking the reg out until you are finished. I don't think that is a good idea if you are really "feeling it" that day :P

The first "toss" will be fine but after a few an automatic gasping reaction sets in and it would be hard not to gulp in a mouthful of water before you knew what was happening.

Definitely keep the reg in.....and enjoy the rest of your dive :twist:

#34 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 06:11 PM

I have a question about this sick business...

I vaguely recall being told by a diver that although you may feel nauseous while on the boat, it generally passes once you hit the water. But if you feel sick while in the water, how do most people carry on with the dive? Or do most people abort the dive instead?

I can put up with a lot of pain and discomfort, but one thing that turns me into a total baby is nausea. I just want to hide under my covers and die!

So I guess my question is... is this *diving* nausea different from the *flu* nausea? :P

#35 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 06:31 PM

:P Wes, if you are going to get sick...Australia is the place...Happened to me at Heron Island, was at my 3 minute stop.....and just got done seeing about 6 Whitetips...did not feel good as it was a strong current dive.....cut the dive short...went for my stop and I was throwing up...hit my purge valve...and hoped none of the Whitetips would come visiting.

annasea...for me when you are sick you are sick...But when you are under water....learn to be calm (the best you can) and deal with it.
You must endeavor to pursue!

#36 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 13 January 2006 - 04:33 AM

Did it not long ago. It was an afternoon dive and I'd had a spicy lunch (not thinking I'd be diving). Threw up repeatedly - seven or eight times till there was nothing left. Then will power took over and I completed the dive without further mishap, and by the time I surfaced I felt fine. Thank God I was using normal open circuit gear, as I quite often use a rebreather and that would be much more serious.

#37 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 13 January 2006 - 09:45 AM

I have a question about this sick business...

I vaguely recall being told by a diver that although you may feel nauseous while on the boat, it generally passes once you hit the water. But if you feel sick while in the water, how do most people carry on with the dive? Or do most people abort the dive instead?

I can put up with a lot of pain and discomfort, but one thing that turns me into a total baby is nausea. I just want to hide under my covers and die!

So I guess my question is... is this *diving* nausea different from the *flu* nausea? :cheerleader:

I remember meeting a girl down in Roatan (I say girl since I don't consider myself old enough to be a woman yet :P ) who had terrible seasickness problems due to an equilibrium problem that she was born with. She loved diving and was an excellent diver but would almost always get sick on the boat and more times than not when she was diving she would get sea sick during her safety stop. She laughed about how she had perfected throwing up through her reg. My understanding is that some people who are really sensitive to motion sickness do get sick during their safety stop and, when the waters are very rough, even some of the less motion sensitive folks out there can get sick at this point during their dives.

#38 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 15 January 2006 - 07:06 PM

nice hot North Carolina day, 3-4 foot swells, 26 miles to the dive site in a 20 foot 6-pack.

half the boat was seasick so all i wanted to do was get in the water to stop the motion.

so there i am at 95fsw on a nice WWII U-boat victim and i'm still feeling realy bad.

yup, gonna be sick.

grabbed my reg, pulled it out, and let loose.

WOW, look at all the FISH that suddenly love me. that or the danishes and gatorade i had before the dive.

hmmm, still feeling sick.

didn't they say something in class about being able to blow chunks through the reg?

let's try it.

2nd go around is through the reg. yup, no problems at all. more fish.

feeling another one coming on, dive buddy has GOT to see this.

another one through the reg.

this time a large barracuda swims through my breakfast, only inches from my face.

wow, i'm no longer feeling sick.

:)
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#39 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 09:34 AM

nice hot North Carolina day, 3-4 foot swells, 26 miles to the dive site in a 20 foot 6-pack.

half the boat was seasick so all i wanted to do was get in the water to stop the motion.

so there i am at 95fsw on a nice WWII U-boat victim and i'm still feeling realy bad.

yup, gonna be sick.

grabbed my reg, pulled it out, and let loose.

WOW, look at all the FISH that suddenly love me. that or the danishes and gatorade i had before the dive.

hmmm, still feeling sick.

didn't they say something in class about being able to blow chunks through the reg?

let's try it.

2nd go around is through the reg. yup, no problems at all. more fish.

feeling another one coming on, dive buddy has GOT to see this.

another one through the reg.

this time a large barracuda swims through my breakfast, only inches from my face.

wow, i'm no longer feeling sick.

:thankyou:

Well I never got nauseous in front of my computer...Thanks Brad for sharing! :anna3:
You must endeavor to pursue!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users