• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Hand Check

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

I spend too much time on line

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 12 November 2006 - 07:37 PM

So, I was showing off with a dive video at work, taking my landlubber colleagues on a voyage of adventure to sunny tropic scenes. While answering the usual questions - "how deep were you?", "Aren't you afraid of sharks and stingrays?" etc. I noticed several of the folks on my dive video were waving their arms/hands around a lot, which as we all know is usually counter-productive.

I also noticed I was doing it too in one scene - which really shocked me - I thought I was long past that, having worked way too much on good foot finning techniques.

So, what do you do to keep your hands at peace with the ocean? I sometimes have students hold their shoulder straps as a means of keeping their hands from churning the water - anyone have other tips?
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#2 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 12 November 2006 - 07:46 PM

On most entries I have to use both hands to hold my mask on because my hair is soft and the strap usually comes lose in back, so one hand in front and one hand in back. That means I have to do something with my console so it's not flopping lose on a giant stride. I clip it to a ring on my BCD just below my weight pouch on my left side. After descent I will usually unclip it and hold it in my hands near my chest. If I need my hands free for something I stuff my console inside my BCD at the chest kind of like a woman might stuff money in her bra. Works for me - if my hands are busy holding the console they can't be attempting to assist with maneuvering.

#3 Terri

Terri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:12 PM

So, what do you do to keep your hands at peace with the ocean? I sometimes have students hold their shoulder straps as a means of keeping their hands from churning the water - anyone have other tips?

I usually have my hands clasped in front of me with my forearms resting on the cumberbund of my BC. Sometimes I cross my arms and hold on to the opposite elbow with my hands.

Every once in awhile I'll find myself churning the water with my hands, but usually it's in shallower water and the surge is threatening to push me into the coral. If that's the case, I don't care what I look like...I just want to make sure I'm not harming the environment!! :P
'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#4 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:32 PM

Camera..... of course.

What else????

RD

#5 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:49 PM

I have found that a camera in my hands does help keep them from flapping around.
I use to always have a flashlight in my right hand but since I have been borrowing my buddies light that sits nicely on top of my hand it has made picture taking so much easier. No more clipping the flashlight while I use both hands to steady the camera.

Diving in the PNW is always a flashlight required dive so I usually have one hand in front of me the other is usually on my computer navigating.

It is so easy to forget and flap my hands if they are not busy holding something.
Next time I dive empty handed... what am I saying.. every dive is a picture taking dive..

Edited by gis_gal, 12 November 2006 - 08:52 PM.

Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#6 jeff

jeff

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Cert Level:ow plus
  • Logged Dives:120

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:11 PM

I use my hands to prevent traffic accidents. The rest of the time I hold my hands at my waist, holding a light, holding my camera. Whe are you overusing your hands?? to turn??
jeff aka nice-diver

#7 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:17 PM

On occasion, I will place my fingertips against the bottom of my tank by reaching back behind me.

It's a comfortable position, and keeps my arms in tight thus streamlining my position in the water. I don't do it all the time, and probably should do that more often. Like most people I'm probably bored with only one hand position, and will vary throughout the dive.

PlatypusMan
... this line left blank, because Sparky had nothing to say...

#8 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:56 PM

I usually have a light on one hand. Sometimes I'll hold my light hand with the other one. Sometimes I'll just lay it back by my waist. When I am diving without a light I'll just fold my hands one over the other.

#9 BeachBunny

BeachBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:Not enough but I am working on it!

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:15 PM

I'm a crossed arms across the chest type of girl. Sometimes I hold the D rings on the bottom of my BC. Eventually I hope my hands will be busy with a camera!
"In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different" CoCo Chanel

beachbunny@singledivers.com

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"
Ghandi

#10 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 13 November 2006 - 06:50 AM

I'm guilty of sculling with my hands when backing off the reef after taking a picture and on night dives my light head is mounted on my wrist so it points wherever the camera does so it's out in front of me in a superman up up and away pose. :P
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#11 JimG

JimG

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Not enough!

Posted 13 November 2006 - 06:55 AM

I'm guilty of sculling with my hands when backing off the reef after taking a picture

I've found that I do a lot less of that (and hand sculling in general) since I learned how to backwards kick. It's kind of cool to be able to back up while filming, without jarring the camera in the process.
Will DIR for food!

#12 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 13 November 2006 - 07:23 AM

I don't use my hands very much. Too busy with the camera. I have found myself trying to use them sculling back from the reef. Really doesn't work very well.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#13 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 13 November 2006 - 08:35 AM

I've found that I do a lot less of that (and hand sculling in general) since I learned how to backwards kick. It's kind of cool to be able to back up while filming, without jarring the camera in the process.

I am working on my backwards kicking. It is a great skill to have and I agree will keep you from feeling like you need to use your hands for control.
:P

Edited by gis_gal, 13 November 2006 - 08:37 AM.

Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#14 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:49 AM

Back Fin video

For those who have not seen the back fin technique - here is a video.

We probably need to have one of our experts make a more glamorous SD movie on how-to - but this is a link to a good one - albeit no sound.

Website with back-fin video

Click on "Learning" in the left-hand navigator, then scroll down to "video skills" and you'll see the one for back fin.

Best thing is to find a pool and an expert, but you can probably get the hang of this on your own with some practice. Obviously, excellent buoyancy is primary prerequisite, along with trim. Some folks tend to go up, which is usually a symptom of not having your head raised.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#15 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 13 November 2006 - 10:26 AM

I'm guilty of sculling with my hands when backing off the reef after taking a picture

If I'm so close to the reef that I need to hand scull then the back kick won't work either without the fin tips hitting the reef, when I'm down that close my legs and fins are bent up behind me.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users