• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Security Alert regarding Travel to Fiji

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:58 AM

A Public Announcement has been issued by the U.S. Department of State to alert Americans to ongoing security concerns about the situation in the Republic of Fiji and to warn U.S. citizens to defer all non-essential travel to Suva until the security situation is clarified. This Public Announcement supersedes the Public Announcement issued on November 22, 2006, and expires on December 22, 2006.

The Department of State urges American citizens to consider carefully the risks of travel to the Republic of Fiji at this time and to defer all non-essential travel to Suva following the renewed ultimatum publicly announced on November 30 by Commander Frank Bainimarama of the Republic of Fiji Military Forces to remove Fiji's democratically elected government unless his demands are met.

Updated information on travel and security in Fiji may be obtained from the Department of State by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll free in the United States and Canada, or for callers outside the United States and Canada , a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. For further information please consult the Consular Information Sheet , the Public Announcement for Fiji, and the Worldwide Caution Public Announcement , which are available on the Bureau of Consular Affairs Internet at Bureau of Consular Affairs..

[source: U.S. Department of State]
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#2 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 07 December 2006 - 12:27 PM

I was in Fiji a few years back when there was a similar warning. I spent all my time in the Nadi and Savusavu areas and experienced no problems at all... the Fijians were absolutely wonderful. Most of the problems are in the vicinity of the capitol (Suva?).

#3 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 07 December 2006 - 02:58 PM

Fiji has had a lot of practice removing leaders without bothering the tourist.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#4 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:48 PM

Fiji has had a lot of practice removing leaders without bothering the tourist.

They know what their major income sources are. We had a fellow recently on a temp assignment at work who was a born Fijian. He laughed about this and said it happens every election. Bloodless and quick coup and no disturbing the tourists.
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#5 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:11 PM

I, too, was on a extended trip to Tonga and Fiji in 2000 or so, when there was significant unrest between the Polynesian and Indian Fijian population segments. Our group experienced no problems, but we did not go into Suva, since our flights went through Nadi. The bulk of our time in Fiji was spent at remote resorts.
Back after a long absence - whew, too busy at work!

#6 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 09 December 2006 - 12:38 AM

The following was posted on SB by an Australian diver:

"when it comes to fiji and coups... just stay out of suva and you'll be fine

this coup was very polite... during the week the army removed the guns