• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Scotland

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dejah

Dejah

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 17 December 2006 - 05:41 PM

Hi All,

I wondered if anyone has dove in Scotland before? I'm going to be heading that direction in June 07 for a one week business trip and hoping to extend it out for an extra week. Not sure if I should attempt to bring my dive gear as I've heard the water is cold there, but thought I would see what others had to say if someone has dove or lives in that area.

#2 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 17 December 2006 - 10:26 PM

It's cold water so you'll need appropriate equipment. Most people use drysuits, and you really want a cold water reg. Wearing a drysuit it's likely your BC won't fit, so you may end up renting most of your gear - assuming you're only equipped for warmish water diving.

That said, there is superb diving in several places. The Inner Hebrides have really great diving, with the mother of all drift dives in the Sound of Mull. Lots of superb diving around Skye. And of course Scapa Flow, where the German High Seas fleet was scuttled at the end of WW1, is one of the most famous dive sites in the world. Not that Scapa is technically in Scotland - it's in Orkney, which any Orcadian will tell you is separate from Scotland and populated by different people (who originated in Norway).

Expect fairly deep dives in tough-ish conditions. But expect rewards easily commensurate. DO IT!

#3 weescot

weescot

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 04 April 2007 - 05:19 AM

Where in Scotland will you be? I am from Edinburgh and ther is good diving very close by. contact George at the dive club I am loosely attached to http://plugdivers.co.uk/index.htm You can also rent all your kit from another member Gary at Dive Safari. The temperatures are cold - you will need a dry suit, and the vis is variable, but around the Firth of Forth (Edinburgh) and North berwick there are a number of wrecks (including a submarine) and other interesting sites - all less than an hour from the city centre. Sheena
Please credit Avatar to ScubaShafer

#4 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 04 April 2007 - 11:01 AM

Deb - you did read COLD WATER right? :)
Known puker

#5 Dejah

Dejah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:10 PM

Thanks all for your advice and Cold Water.. :welcome: well I'm not a dry suit diver so I'll probably skip this part of the trip. As to where I'll be is in Glasgow, but if I take the extra option of staying extra days I'll definately try and spend sometime in London before heading back.

Dejah

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users