• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Equalization Angst

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 Guest_Sea Urchin_*

Guest_Sea Urchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:43 AM

Pseudoephedrine (tradename Sudafed) and phenylnephrine (tradename Sudafed PE) can increase blood pressure and heart rate and not recommended for certain people.

#32 secretsea18

secretsea18

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:20 AM

Pseudoephedrine (tradename Sudafed) and phenylnephrine (tradename Sudafed PE) can increase blood pressure and heart rate and not recommended for certain people.

Correct, and that is why, I mentioned, that if Sudafed were to be recommended....

Also can cause other problems in people with certain medical conditions... ask your doctor if you can take it....

#33 Penguin

Penguin

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver Trainer
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:26 PM

Thx for the valuable input, Robin! As someone who sees no liveaboards in her future due mainly to equalization issues, I especially appreciate your expertise. :)

There was another thread a few weeks ago on equalization started by Penguin that mentioned a recent article in a diving magazine whose name I can't remember at the moment. Penguin was so kind to fax it to me and I must say... very informative! Many different techniques for equalization and dealing with congestion were mentioned. For anyone who has ear trouble, this article is a must read!

This article is titled "Equalize Every Time" and can be found on page 83 in the recent special edition issue of Scuba Diving Magazine. It's mostly on wreck diving and an excellent issue.

A SIDENOTE TO SUDAFED (PSEUDOEPHEDRINE). Per Scuba Diving magazine and NOT Nitrox instructor Penguin, because it stimulates your central nervous system, it may interact with nitrogen narcosis and increase your risk of oxygen toxicity. So it is recommended that one be careful using it during dives in excess of 80 feet or when using EANx.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users