• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Ohio Valley Area First Roll call

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#31 landlocked

landlocked

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 15 February 2007 - 06:52 PM

Sorry T-Storm. I've been a little busy and didn't get a chance to post here before today. You know i'm in if we do a happy hour anywhere within 200 miles of Louisville :usflag:

#32 landlocked

landlocked

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 06:54 PM

That actually sounds like it would be fun. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten into a dry suit and 44 degree water is a little much.

I was actually hoping to make a trip to FL or the Carolinas.

Even dry 44 is too cold :usflag: and 17 air temp is just plain crazy!
But when it warms up I'll be up for a few more quarry dives.

#33 tstormwarning

tstormwarning

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW Instructor (AOWSI)
  • Logged Dives:1200

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:10 PM

Hey girl, gad you decided to join us! I understand the "busy" thing all too well. I have to say, I have never had "skyline chili". Depending on what the others here want I was thinking of maybe doing a Happy Hour there in Louisville (seems like a good middle meeting point for everyone). I may wind up tapping you just a little to help me set things up. But only if you have time. Or perhaps we can find a quarry or lake to take a weekend dive in once it starts to warm a bit.
Tammy Storm SSI OWSI #46723 SDI & TDI Instructor #15093

#34 landlocked

landlocked

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 08:37 AM

Hey girl, gad you decided to join us! I understand the "busy" thing all too well. I have to say, I have never had "skyline chili". Depending on what the others here want I was thinking of maybe doing a Happy Hour there in Louisville (seems like a good middle meeting point for everyone). I may wind up tapping you just a little to help me set things up. But only if you have time. Or perhaps we can find a quarry or lake to take a weekend dive in once it starts to warm a bit.

I'd be happy to help. Louisville might make sense if we have both Indy and Nashville attendees. But I'm happy to travel. We only have 1 quarry up here.
I wonder if there are any St. Louis divers out there? We could always meet in Mermet or Bonne Terre.

I saw you coerced Mirrocraft to join - good job! :wavey:

#35 jimmy dave

jimmy dave

Getting started

• Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:44 PM

Chocolate? Are you serious? I thought it was Cinnamon :unsure: They have good baked potatoes though!

That's what one of my diehard Skyline friend's told me.

Louisville sounds great for a get together -- since I'm already here. I am willing to travel though. My one catch is that I have to stay within 2 hours of Louisville. Otherwise I have to a vacation day. I could do that as well, but would need a decent heads up.

I REALLY don't recommend our little quarry here. It's great for getting your feet wet and breaking in new equipment, but it's small and generally has bad viz. There is another one SE of Indy, blue springs I think. It's a really nice one and can hold more people without over crowding.

...Bonne Terre is a definate possibility for me!

#36 landlocked

landlocked

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:49 PM

Chocolate? Are you serious? I thought it was Cinnamon :unsure: They have good baked potatoes though!

That's what one of my diehard Skyline friend's told me.

Louisville sounds great for a get together -- since I'm already here. I am willing to travel though. My one catch is that I have to stay within 2 hours of Louisville. Otherwise I have to a vacation day. I could do that as well, but would need a decent heads up.

I REALLY don't recommend our little quarry here. It's great for getting your feet wet and breaking in new equipment, but it's small and generally has bad viz. There is another one SE of Indy, blue springs I think. It's a really nice one and can hold more people without over crowding.

...Bonne Terre is a definate possibility for me!

Poor Joe (Clark) nobody likes his little quarry :dry:

I've never been to Blue Springs. I read about it but I've never been. I'd love to do Bonne Terre, but honestly, I'll pretty much dive anywhere.
T-Storm and Mirrocraft can attest to that, as in 42 degree strip mines -YUCK.

Pennyroyal does seem to have good Vis and mermet has paddlefish, but I'd still like something new.

Anyone have any other ideas?

oh, and chocolate in chilli is pretty icky.

#37 landlocked

landlocked

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:51 PM

Oh, I almost forgot. Is anyone planning to dive Cumberland while the level is low? I don't know what will happen to vis, but when they lower the level there should be a ton of houses and other structures within recreational limit depths. If anyone is interested in giving it a go let me know. We have a cabin and a pontoon boat that is great for diving.

#38 tstormwarning

tstormwarning

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:41 PM

I don't know........ I just can't wrap my mind around chocolate on chili. I love chocolate & I love chili, but the 2 together?..... It just doesn't seem natural :dry: . But then, to each their own. I'd be up for Blue Springs or just about anything also. I've been to Pennyroyal Umpteen times & Mermet twice. Landlocked can tell you, that one dive I did wit her at Mermet was a disatster :unsure: . I just hope my skills have improved some from that.

#39 jimmy dave

jimmy dave

Getting started

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:31 PM

What's this about Cumberland? I still consider myself relatively new to the area.

#40 tstormwarning

tstormwarning

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:42 PM

Landlocked will have to tell you about that. I've never dove there before, she has. It's located in south central KY (a little toward the eastern end). Other than that I don't know much about it.

#41 landlocked

landlocked

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 05:26 PM

What's this about Cumberland? I still consider myself relatively new to the area.

There's an issue with the Dam so they are going to lower the water level quite a bit. Lake Cumberland is a manmade lake (it's HUGE) and there are a bunch of little towns and stuff submerged when the lake was created. The lake itself gets to 300' deep normally. There are lots of little inlets and coves you can dive. Vis is moderate normally, but occasionally you can find some quiet places that have really good vis. Dean's Diver's Den is a dive shop in Somerset. I bring my own air from my LDS so I've never used Dean's. Here are some links that you might find helpful:
http://www.lake-cumberland.com/
http://www.scubakent....bravehost.com/

#42 jimmy dave

jimmy dave

Getting started

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 12:06 AM

Bonne Terre is 65 degrees year round!!

Cumberland lake looks like it would be a good dive. Count me in when it gets warmer!

Edited by jimmy dave, 22 February 2007 - 12:07 AM.

#43 tstormwarning

tstormwarning

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 06:48 AM

One thing to keep in mind is that most waters around here are about 40- 45 degrees below 40' (aka. rather chilly- but nothing a thick wet suit or dry suit can't handle).

#44 landlocked

landlocked

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 08:38 AM

One thing to keep in mind is that most waters around here are about 40- 45 degrees below 40' (aka. rather chilly- but nothing a thick wet suit or dry suit can't handle).

yeah, very true. It can be kind of odd too because the surface temp (and down to maybe 15 or 20' ) will be 80s in the summer. I think the lake gets so crowded though in the summer it can be scary to dive. I kind of prefer spring because it is too cold for the boaters. But not for a dry suit :)

#45 jimmy dave

jimmy dave

Getting started

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:43 AM

Unfortunately I haven't invested in a dry suit yet. Between the lack of funds and the lack of a dive buddy brave enough to dive the cold waters.

It's still up in the air though. Either a new dive computer or a dry suit... Until then it's the ol' 7mm.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users