• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

HID vs. LED "Cannister" lights ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 scubafanatic

scubafanatic

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures, Cavern
  • Logged Dives:250

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:27 PM

...anyone out there up to speed on the latest trends/predictions with respect to emerging LED Cannister light technology ?

...ran across a couple good threads :

http://www.rebreathe....html#post48273

http://www.safecaved...m/equipment.htm

...checked out the Solus WWW site, I'm trying to figure out how some company I've never heard of, SOLUS ( Ireland ) is apparently WAY ahead of all the 'big' brand names ( Halcyon / Salvo / Dive Rite / Sartek ) with respect to 'advanced' LED light technology ?

..... the SOLUS lights are getting good reviews...and their 'can' light prices are the same as the 'conventional' HID 'can' light prices from the 'big' names here in the U.S.

....... I don't see any 'downside' to the SOLUS lights, other than perhaps warranty issues ( it appears they don't have any U.S. dealers, although they do provide a tel # / e-mail address / rep name for anyone interested in purchasing in the U.S. )

...I own/dive Dive Rite a 10 W HID can light ........ also have Halcyon LED Scout back up lights.... an LED C4 'sunlight' pistol light.....and a few old-style incandescent bulb small back up light.........and used to own, but sold off, a pair of UK Light Cannons and a Dive Rite 50 W Halogen 'can' light...........the L.C.'s were too fragile/tempramental.......the DR 50 W light was way heavy/bulky for travel.

Thanks,

Karl

#2 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:16 PM

Lets see. They cost like HID but don't produce the output, and are not focusable. That's pretty much a non-starter for the folks I talk to. LED seems to be getting better, but isn't quite there yet. Maybe in a year or two.

...anyone out there up to speed on the latest trends/predictions with respect to emerging LED Cannister light technology ?

I'm trying to figure out how some company I've never heard of, SOLUS ( Ireland ) is apparently WAY ahead of all the 'big' brand names ( Halcyon / Salvo / Dive Rite / Sartek ) with respect to 'advanced' LED light technology ?

Edited by PerroneFord, 15 January 2007 - 01:17 PM.

#3 scubafanatic

scubafanatic

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures, Cavern
  • Logged Dives:250

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:50 PM

Lets see. They cost like HID but don't produce the output, and are not focusable. That's pretty much a non-starter for the folks I talk to. LED seems to be getting better, but isn't quite there yet. Maybe in a year or two.

I'm trying to figure out how some company I've never heard of, SOLUS ( Ireland ) is apparently WAY ahead of all the 'big' brand names ( Halcyon / Salvo / Dive Rite / Sartek ) with respect to 'advanced' LED light technology ?

Hi Perrone,
...per the SOLUS WWW site, they have a 6 degree light head in development, which matches the 'tightest' beam spread of anyones 'conventional' HID can light.......they admit a focusable light is further off though, but it appears they'll soon meet the requirements of anyone not requiring a focusable light anyway.
...with respect to output, their SU-1000 model, for example, is said to be equal to a 40 W HID light, so their output meets and beats many HID lights.
LED's have vastly longer bulb lifespans, and are vastly more abuse-tolerant, as anyone who's had to replace HID bulbs can attest.
Sartek is apparently entering the LED market, there's a 12 W LED head available there but I've not read any reviews on that unit.
I've already resolved to hold off on upgrading my D.R 10 W focusable HID until I'm ready to migrate to LED.

Karl

#4 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 07:56 PM

A 6 degree head would go a long way in making the light more marketable. However, watts are not a measure of light output, simply consumed power. When I see some independent lumen ratings I'll start believing in their claims of brightness.

There is no doubt that LED bulbs are less fragile than the HID counterparts. But Salvo and Greenforce produce HID lights that take all the abuse most people can dish out. The LED has a longevity advantage, and that is not insignificant. But it won't matter how long it lasts if the quality of light is not equal. At least in the cave market.

I looked at the Solus last summer. I hope they do well.

-P

Hi Perrone,
...per the SOLUS WWW site, they have a 6 degree light head in development, which matches the 'tightest' beam spread of anyones 'conventional' HID can light.......they admit a focusable light is further off though, but it appears they'll soon meet the requirements of anyone not requiring a focusable light anyway.
...with respect to output, their SU-1000 model, for example, is said to be equal to a 40 W HID light, so their output meets and beats many HID lights.
LED's have vastly longer bulb lifespans, and are vastly more abuse-tolerant, as anyone who's had to replace HID bulbs can attest.
Sartek is apparently entering the LED market, there's a 12 W LED head available there but I've not read any reviews on that unit.
I've already resolved to hold off on upgrading my D.R 10 W focusable HID until I'm ready to migrate to LED.

Karl

#5 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:37 PM

the DR 50 W light was way heavy/bulky for travel.

Thanks,

Karl

I'm guessing it's the battery pack,switch to an Li-ion battery,I use SLAs but then if I went with a smaller battery I'd just add weight somewhere else.

A 6 degree head would go a long way in making the light more marketable. However, watts are not a measure of light output, simply consumed power. When I see some independent lumen ratings I'll start believing in their claims of brightness.

-P

The other consideration is the type of light output also known as colour output.A 3000K bulb is known as a 'warm' bulb while a 5000K is a 'cool white'.Both bulbs will have the same wattage but will not produce the same light.
AS Perrone mentions there are several things to consider when comparing performance of different lights.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users