• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Make the Grenada Singles Week the BEST ONE EVER!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,626 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:24 PM

Help Plan the June 9-16, 2007 Singles Week in Grenada!!! Yes its YOUR week...and you get to help decide what will be offered!

Hey everyone...the Singles Week In Grenada is getting off to a great start! We have 12 people signed up so far and another 15 to 20 interested! :thankyou:

True Blue Bay Resort and Aquanauts Grenada would like to make this the BEST Singles Week you've attended so they want you to help choose what events, games and activities we cram into our short week on the island.

So if you've ever been on a Single's Week before then let us know what you liked the best and what you would of preferred to have to make the trip more fun.

or

If you are new to doing Single's Weeks but know what YOU consider fun then let us know.

We can make this trip more successful with your ideas, suggestions and input!

So here goes...

Activities Agenda So Far (for the precise agenda & full details see the trip thread here):

Saturday June 9th: Welcome cocktail upon arrival at the resort, check in and orientation for the week

Sunday June 10th: 2 tank am dives, optional afternoon dives, SD Singles Event/Activity TBA, Dinner at True Blue Bay Restaurant on property.

QUESTION: Do you want a non-diving event the first day? These include games/activities or hiking or waterfall tour or time for optional tours such as the Chocolate Factory, Spice Factory, Rum Factory (yes free samples at all!) Or do you prefer to get some more diving in?

Monday June 11th: 2 tank am dives, optional afternoon dives, SD Singles Event/Activity TBA, Hosted Cocktail party at Dodgy Dock, Dinner at True Blue Bay Restaurant on property.

QUESTION: Do you want a non-diving event today? Its still early in the week and many will want to DIVE DIVE DIVE! Others will want to segue into the Cocktail Party at the Dodgy Dock. Let us know what YOU want.

Tuesday June 12th: 2 tank am dives, optional afternoon dives, SD Singles Event/Activity TBA, Group Beach BBQ & night dive

QUESTION: We'll be heading to Grand Anse Beach for the Beach BBQ and night dive. You can walk the beach and see the day vendors, get your hair braided, play beach volley ball or do a beach scavenger hunt for prizes? Or you can do a 3rd dive of the day making it a 4 dive day when you do the INCLUDED night dive. Now THAT is some hard core diving!

Wednesday June 13th: 2 tank am dives, optional afternoon dives, SD Singles Event/Activity TBA, Dinner at True Blue Bay Restaurant

QUESTION: Today is hump day...you may be ready for some island fun or want to stay close to the hotel. Of course everyone is free to do what they want...BUT...we need to create some mix of staying in and going out as well as giving you time to dive or venture onto the island. What we don't want to do is have too many overlapping events as you can't possibly participate in all of them that way. So are you ready to keep diving...or try something else?

Thursday June 14th: 2 tank am dives, optional afternoon dives, SD Singles Activity & Sightseeing in Town, "Explore On Your Own" Dinner experience.

QUESTION: By now if you've been diving all week you are ready for some different fun. Or perhaps you've alternated the diving and the events...please let us know what your ideal week would include?

Friday June 15th: optional am dives, optional afternoon dives, SD Singles Event/Activity TBA, Group Departure for other side of the island for far end island sightseeing and Fish Friday

QUESTION: The agenda is pretty set for today. The plan is to let divers relax, clean gear and let it dry, or if you are adventursome...go for 2 optional am dives and then clean gear in the afternoon! We will plan to go to the other side of the island having buses leave early for those who want to explore and leave later for those who just want to eat! We'll all meet at the townsqure of one of the fishing villiages to participate in the weekly heralded "Fish Friday". You'll see villiagers from all over the island all joined together in several blocks around the square offering fish prepared in all sorts of fun and exciting ways. The college students love Fish Friday so they will be mingling as will divers from Peter Hughes' boat and other divers on the island. THIS IS THE PLACE TO BE ON FRIDAYS!

Saturday June 16th: Departure to airport.

Daily Breakfast: from 7.00 a.m. - 9.30 a.m.

Daily Lunch: from 12.30 - 1.30 p.m.

Daily Diving: Sunday June 10th through Thursday June 14th 2 tank morning dive from 9.00
a.m. - 12.30 p.m.

I hope you enjoy participating in this thread. Its a chance to tell us what you'd like the ideal Single's Week to contain.

Want daily activities? We can go hiking, optional tours, contests, games, free time to do what you want, chill time to relax, daily Happy Hours? Other ideas?
Want contests? If so what kind? (Underwater Poker always seems to be a big hit!)
Want games? Twister is always fun! Anyone up for team contests or games??
Want to dive? Let's face it...we all love diving and most of want LOTS of diving. So if you want to DIVE DIVE DIVE! then say so and we won't scheudule lots of events to conflict.

And you'll notice that we've also given you some opportunity to enjoy the excellent resort food but to also enjoy some fun diving experiences like the beach bbq and local culture like Fish Friday. Toss in a day on the island to do your own thing at the numerous great restuarants and I think we have FOOD covered!

Now with your input we'll have the activities and events covered and we'll be sitting pretty! :wakawaka:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,626 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 01:10 PM

Any input? Or do you basically not care as long as there is something to do?

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#3 CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:69

Posted 18 January 2007 - 01:37 PM

Kamala, I've been waiting to reply until I know I can commit to the trip, but I'll give you some input anyway. I didn't skip any dives during Singles Week at FI, but since there are less dives included in this package and others will cost extra, I would probably only be doing extra dives 2-3 days during the week. That would mean I'd be looking for something to do during 2-3 afternoons.

I haven't really done any research on my own as to what there is to do on the island. Maybe you could do a poll for various activities to get an idea of the interest in each. I like wildlife and hiking, so going to a park or wildlife preserve would interest me. I've also never been sailing, so that might be fun. I'm not much for shopping (except for local crafts) or factory tours.

Also, I kind of felt kind of trapped at FI (being on its own little island with guard entry), is this resort more open, ie. within walking distance to town? Are cabs cheap and available or is transportation going to be pretty hard to come by? I didn't leave FI except for the crab race/hog roast trip because I wasn't interested in their tours and cabs seemed to be expensive.

Kelly

#4 ScubaShafer

ScubaShafer

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Cert Level:MSDT
  • Logged Dives:2460

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:09 PM

:) Hey Kamala - Hope you're surviving "Winter in Texas!" :-D

I didn't see a trip to the orphanage in your agenda. When do you plan to make that trip?

You know how I love to dive, dive, dive, :cool1: but I'm also interested in hiking to the waterfall and visiting the Rum Factory to sample their wares! :thankyou:

Bruce
It's a GR8 day to be alive!

"Good things come to those who wait." Heinz - 1980s
"Good things come to those who wait." Guinness - 1990s
"Good things come to those with weights." ScubaShafer - 2008

#5 CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:69

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:09 PM

Forgot to reply about contests. I thought the photo contest they did at FI was a good idea, but I found it very strange that they didn't show any of the winners or entries. At other group things I've seen they do a slide show of the images at the end. Since we're doing Fish Friday on the last night, does that mean that we'll be shuttled there or is it more of a come and go as you please type of thing? I was thinking that would be the best night. Maybe something playing at the bar all night would be good way to show off those photos.

I liked the underwater poker run, even though I got a terrible hand. Is there shore diving from the resort to make this easy?

Something like the Amazing Race might be fun for an afternoon.

I like volleyball, but I didn't play due to it always conflicting with the last dive of the day. I think they were doing it at like 2pm. Maybe move it back an hour or 2 or just do it the afternoon of the barbecue.

Some kind of a relay involving struggling into a wetsuit and running in fins would be funny.

Twister is fun (as long as its coed)

Jell-O wrestling for the ladies (of course)

The Happy Hours were good (although I think we need more space if we get the same crowd).

I liked the crab races.

I'm sure whatever you do you'll get some participation. Just some thoughts

Kelly

#6 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:40 PM

I'm with CaptainMorgan on this one.

Shore activities that conflict with afternoon dives are just not in the cards for me; having said that, however, I would say that for the right type of shore activity I would be willing to ditch afternoon diving in favor of that activity.

The things that you mention -- hiking, waterfall tour, rum, rum, rum, etc. -- would certainly be tempting for me!

One of the things that we need to be certain of is that we are not "trapped" at the resort, as we were at Fantasy Island -- I hated that with a passion.

Beach games, cool games, and other types of games that are set up later in the afternoons after we've all had a chance to rest a bit from our dive exertions would also be quite welcome.

If there is any chance of any type of educational lectures given to the membership, this would be a plus as well.

Hope this helps!

PlatypusMan.
... Sparky just asks that everything be monotreme-friendly...

#7 scubaski

scubaski

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:01 PM

Hi ALL,
I'm new to SD. Fantasy Island "06 was 1st meeting w/ SD.com via room party. Generally enjoyed the amount of non diving activities at Roatan, although I did not make it off resort at all. Dived a lot, actally missing a lot of shore activies while diving w/ the group I met on CoCo View boat. Final party Blast of a good time.

The meet and greet the staff the 1st night was trying :diver: . Have forms for dive waiver, weights needed, which boat your on in or at the check in desk and /or welcome information desk. Whatever can be done to streamline the process the 1st night on resort and 1st day at dive shack is better.

I also will be diving each afternoon. The more drift dives the better. The beach BBQ and shoredive(night?) sound like fun. I actually would just like to veg by the pool or beach for a bit. Hiking, Biking, paragliding not my cup of tea. Easier access to downtown or around island a plus. Earlier returns from off resort trips ok. I'm beat after 4 dives.

If you have a photo contest perhaps the Grenada SD as a group could vote somehow for the winner of the photo contest, a photo should be judge by all that view it.

Scubaski, I go with the flow. :(
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#8 ASDmike

ASDmike

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:700ish

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:20 AM

The meet and greet the staff the 1st night was trying :birthday: . Have forms for dive waiver, weights needed, which boat your on in or at the check in desk and /or welcome information desk. Whatever can be done to streamline the process the 1st night on resort and 1st day at dive shack is better.

Well, that might be the nice thing I could say about Nick. He was trying... :birthday:

btw, that evening entertainment was not a SD event (and the usual singledivers meet & greet was "postponed" due to the "desires" of the resort GM).

Good idea regarding paperwork (my pet peeve too). In my prior SD experience, Kamala tries to expedite that also. That scramble was one more Nick's way feature of that trip. :birthday:
'06 - Fireworks on History, Singles Fantasy
'07 - Ancient Egypt/Red Sea Liveaboard
'08 - Bonaire Singles Week ...In STYLE!!!

#9 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 19 January 2007 - 07:05 AM

I AM IRONMAN!!!

Edited by dustbowl diver, 19 January 2007 - 07:07 AM.

"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#10 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2007 - 08:20 AM

I AM IRONMAN!!!

DD---are you OK??

#11 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:07 AM

scubaski

even though im not on this trip. the idea of doing a photo contest(mass vote) like that is a good idea as its a good way short of doing a juried show with selected judges. if someone wants a quick rundown on the doing a contest let me know

In the future if im on any trip that someone wants to run a photo contest i would be more then willing to help with a contest.

Platy: rum and hiking are two good things but together can lead to not so good things unless BASE jumping is your thing :birthday:

WW/FG/NS and crew even though i cant make singles week this year i will do my best to make it in 08.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#12 Guest_Sea Urchin_*

Guest_Sea Urchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2007 - 12:30 AM

I AM IRONMAN!!!

DD---are you OK??

That's just DD saying he wants to "dive, dive, dive!" :lmao:

#13 Guest_Sea Urchin_*

Guest_Sea Urchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2007 - 01:58 AM

Reading this thread, I like to comment on a few topics that were brought up:

No, you will not be confine to the resort. Grenada is a lot safer than Honduras. Many people walk around without being afraid of getting shot at or robbed. Many of us took a taxi to the grocery store, to the beach, and to tour the island. It may be more economical to rent a car for the week (that's what I'm planning on rather than taking the taxi all the time). The taxi service is sort of monopolized by a couple of men who hired drivers and they also act as tour guides. They may be in different cars or vans but most of them report back to this guy name Elvis. You can make arrangement with them in advance to pick you up from the resort at a certain time and drop you off whereever you want to go and then come back at another time to take you back. The only disadvantage is they don't specify how much it cost and even said "pay them whatever you want to pay them" ... most people actually ended up paying more this way. Renting a car may be cheaper but you have to navigate and the street signs aren't always there so finding your way around town could be interesting.

When we were there last time, hurricane "Ivan" had demolished half the island and there was still a lot of construction going on. The roads have a lot of pot holes in them so you have to be pretty careful (no lead foot allowed). We tried to rent scooters but they weren't available.

The tours (Rum factory, Spice factory, waterfall, etc.) can all be done in one afternoon. The taxi service comes by in an air-conditioned van and take us to these places, we pay a nominal fee at these places to view their facilities. One of the waterfall can be seen from the road driving up to it. There are other waterfalls that you need to hire a guide who will machette a path for you to hike through but you can swim in it when you get there. I would do this other waterfall by itself on another afternoon.

The resort had a little Hobie catamaran (1-2 people) that you can use for sailing. A couple of us went on a sunset sail on a bigger catamaran that provided drinks (alcoholic ones too) while we were sailing.

The resort owners are easier to work with than the dive operation owners. They seem more helpful and more flexible. Doug had to leave early and cut his trip short because of work. He missed a couple of morning dives that were part of his package. He did some afternoon dives earlier in the week. We tried to get them to count the afternoon dives toward his package but the owners refused and charged him extra for all his afternoon dives. I missed 2 days of diving due to an ear infection. Some other dive operation who are more flexible may let you substitute morning dives for afternoon dives but not this one. I was told that all morning dives are schedule and if you missed them, you don't get to make it up in the afternoon. All afternoon and evening dives are extra even if you didn't dive all your morning dives. If you plan to Dive, Dive , Dive, perhaps negotiating the prices for the afternoon dives in advance may be a good idea.

The dive staff are a lot friendlier. We all get a bag each on the first day to put all our equipments in and they will rinse it and store it and have it back on the boat for you the next day. I'm one of those that was too picky and dragged all mine back to the room to rinse and dry. Most dives are drift dives and after a few days, the DM gave up trying to herd us into one group. Some of our divers disappear if that's what they wanted to do instead of staying with the group and the boat picked us up whenever we surfaced. I had the impression that they didn't like it but did accommodate us.

There's a couple of nice beaches to hang out in the afternoon. Coconut Beach has a pretty good restaurant right on the beach too. Friday Fish Night is actually a market and you can buy tidbits from different vendors. It's really neat eating local food and I drank a lot of sugar cane and young coconut juice.

The kiddies from the orphanages love visitors. It's heart wrenching when a little urchin asked if you would adopt him. Some of them wanted to know when we would be back. I'm planning to bring underwears and socks for the little ones not in school yet. Grenada custom is kind of tricky. One of our diver was charged a duty tax because she had her school supplies, toys, and candies for the orphanage in a box instead of in her luggage. If custom think you are importing these things in to sell, they may charge you duty tax. I spend an entire afternoon after the trip playing with the kids and it was really hard leaving them.

This is a great island with so many land activities to explore and I'm :lmao:
I'll have a passport in time for this trip.

Que :P

#14 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 20 January 2007 - 12:16 PM

I AM IRONMAN!!!

DD---are you OK??

That's just DD saying he wants to "dive, dive, dive!" :lmao:

Spoken like a person that has been on an SD trip with me!!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#15 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,626 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 05:44 PM

All and all great feedback so far. As a note...many of the concerns that Que mentioned in the 2005 trip were not present in our Sept 2006 trip and will not be present for this singles week. They have assured me of LOTS of flexibility and accommodations...well as many as they can make that is.

YES there will be an orpahange tour one day for those who wish to go (truly moving) or a free afternoon for those who don't.

We are trying to find the right mix of off resort activities and on resort activities plus allowing you to dive if you like, relax, or run and play.

A specific question was asked about being trapped...NO we will not be trapped at the resort and you'll see that we are making off resort activities as part of the weeks events. One of those is Fish Friday. This is a wonderful cultural event that happens once a week on Fridays. Vans will take us to Fish Friday at no extra charge and then we are on our own to eat what we like. Prices range from a $1.00 to $10 for most items and upwards of whatever you want to spend for a fresh caught LOBSTER!!!

It takes a lot of time and effort and money to host games and contests if no one wants to participate or they conflict with diving. OTOH...not everyone is an 'ironman' when it comes to diving and some may want to dive extra dives every other day and some may want to dive only the first couple of days extra.

All in all we have lots to do in a short week and we just want to make sure that we set up the most enjoyable activities for people to do as a group where possible and yet allow you some free time built into the week to venture out on your own, relax or catch an afternoon dive!

Please keep asking questions and please keep giving us your feedback. :evilgrin:

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users