• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

1st Puerto Rico Dive Trip SD needs advise

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 scubaski

scubaski

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:16 PM

Hi All SD,

I'm off :) diving Puerto Rico for the 1st time, only been between gates at SJU a/p before. Flying into BQN, Aguadilla on March 17-25.

Any cheap, clean motels by a/p to crash at for 1st night?

Who and where should I dive with??

I'll be travelling with a bubble watcher so sites with shore activities are a plus. Probably on west and south coast for days 1-4 then onto eastend and San Juan.

Any information will be helpfull.
:cheerleader:
Thank You all in advance,

ScubaSki
Stan
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#2 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:32 PM

I'd stick away from diving around San Juan. Go to the south (sorta) west coast, in La Parguera. Excellent diving there.

Off of the east coat, Vieques is supposed to be really nice though I have not been there. Off of the west (sorta) north coast are the Desecheo Islands, which are also supposed to be nice.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#3 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 25 January 2007 - 12:33 AM

I will agree with ScubaDadMiami.
Avoid diving San Juan go to La Parguera to dive.
Dive with Paradise Scuba or La Parguera divers.
Both are great dive ops.

Edited by gis_gal, 25 January 2007 - 12:33 AM.

Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#4 pocahontas

pocahontas

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:165

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:25 AM

I had really great dives with Parguera divers. There are some really nice beaches in theat are too.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Stopping by Woods - Robert. Frost

#5 ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 25 January 2007 - 11:25 AM

I attended 8th through 11th grade (1972-76) at the former Roosevelt Roads Naval Station school in Ceiba, Puerto Rico. I didn't scuba dive back then but did snorkel 2-4x per week or more (there was a reef across the street from my house) including frequent trips to Vieques (my father had a sailboat and we used to spend many weekends there). I've never been back but have looked at my time there as the formation of my passion for the undersea.

Most recently I have signed up for a final school reunion at Roosey Roads for the last week of March as the base will be turned over to PR beginning in April 2007 with final disposition by April 2008. I am planning on bringing my 14 year old son with me as we are staying at a hotel in Fajardo.

I too am keenly interested in any reputable dive operators out of the Fajardo area that host charters to Vieques and possibly Culebra. Might anyone have recommendations and/or points of contact?
The sea is everything........Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides. The sea is only the embodiment of a supernatural and wonderful existence. It is nothing but love and emotion; it is the 'Living Infinite,' ..........

Capt. Nemo...........20,000 Leagues under the Sea

#6 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 25 January 2007 - 02:07 PM

I too am keenly interested in any reputable dive operators out of the Fajardo area that host charters to Vieques and possibly Culebra. Might anyone have recommendations and/or points of contact?

I dove with Fajardo Divers about six years ago. I was not thrilled with them nor where we dove.

At the time, we waited a long while after our scheduled departure time (I can't remember exactly how much time. However, it was well over an hour--probably closer to two hours) for them to bring in a group of divers for the day from San Juan. Then, because we waited so long to depart, we did not have time to make it far enough offshore to where the clearest water is found. (I suspect they darn sure wanted to make sure that they got back early enough and then also wanted to pack the boat rather than departing for the trip on time.)

I wanted to go to Vieques. However, if you don't catch the ferry on time, it is pretty much an all day trip to go there from Fajardo. I could not find an operator to make the trip unless scheduled well in advance.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#7 bbdrag0n

bbdrag0n

Getting started

• Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:06 AM

I will agree with ScubaDadMiami.
Avoid diving San Juan go to La Parguera to dive.
Dive with Paradise Scuba or La Parguera divers.
Both are great dive ops.

I agree. I dove with La Parquera divers. They were good.

pamela :)

#8 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:26 PM

Glad you enjoyed them..
I found them to be a fine dive op.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#9 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:26 PM

Glad you enjoyed them..
I found them to be a fine dive op.

Hi All,
Thanks for the input. Bags are locked and loaded. And 2 dive days booked with Paragura Divers. I only need Logan International A/P to open back up and Jet Blue to have some planes and crews on the tar by Sat. afternoon and Pina Colada time will be very early Sunday am.

I've been reading the thread about NYE/NYD 2007/2008 Liveaboard Bahamas? with some interest ie: arriving the day before too accomadate for winter travel and close connection times. This weekend travel will be a good test case.

Worse case senerio I'll have awesome skiing in Vermont for a few days.

Thanks Again,
Stan
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#10 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,707 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:40 AM

We hope you get out! And yes...weather in the winter will affect someone someplace! Hope you can join us for New Year's Eve! That would be great too!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#11 ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:06 AM

I'm heading to Puerto Rico on March 27th and will be in Fajardo through April 3rd. I have booked local dives on March 28 and 29 through Sea Ventures Palmas Dive Center in Humacao. I have also chartered a boat with other members of our Reunion for a 3-tank dive excursion out to Vieques on Sunday, 01 April. There are an additional two spots open for the private Vieques charter if anyone else might wish to join us so feel free to contact me if interested.
The sea is everything........Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides. The sea is only the embodiment of a supernatural and wonderful existence. It is nothing but love and emotion; it is the 'Living Infinite,' ..........

Capt. Nemo...........20,000 Leagues under the Sea

#12 Wildcard

Wildcard

Meeting folks

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:What's a log?

Posted 31 March 2007 - 07:29 AM

I'm heading to Puerto Rico on March 27th and will be in Fajardo through April 3rd. I have booked local dives on March 28 and 29 through Sea Ventures Palmas Dive Center in Humacao. I have also chartered a boat with other members of our Reunion for a 3-tank dive excursion out to Vieques on Sunday, 01 April. There are an additional two spots open for the private Vieques charter if anyone else might wish to join us so feel free to contact me if interested.

A $2.50 ferry ride will get you to Culebra and some of the best diving around Im told. I dont know for sure but it is pretty awsome!
No divers for today and Im pretty bummed about it. I have two trips scheduled for tomorrow with spots open if anyone want to join in. Contact Culebradivers.com

#13 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 09:38 AM

Hi All,
Just got back from Puerto Rico west side last Sunday March 25. Jet Blue had me on the edge of my seat all day Friday during NE snow storm but we did depart late on Sat. evening. Flying overnight into PR and arriving at Old Ramy Airbase in Agudilla worked out just fine for me, small, compact airport with quick baggage claim and car rental.

Dived with La Paguara Diver for 3 days on the wall and reef and had some great fun. A few med size spotted eagle rays and the usual lobsters and morays. Angel ran a very orginized, fun and safe tripout each day.The community of Paguara was a fun place to dine downtown and walk around with friendly and helpful residents. I spotted a nice guest house I will use next visit. I will also make it to Desheou Island(sp) next visit thur Rincon.

Thanks for all the input from fellow SD.comers.

Stan

PS I will be diving WPB, Florida and points south Memorial Day Week. Any SD boat or shore or HH being planned???
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#14 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 03 April 2007 - 10:45 PM

Great thread as it looks like work is sending me to Puerto Rico at the end of April.Not sure excact dates or where in Puerto Rico yet.

#15 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 04 April 2007 - 03:41 PM

I'm going to Puerto Rico, too, in the second week of June for a long weekend. My daughter and I want to dive. Her work is putting her up at a swank resort prior to when I arrive. Once I get there, we plan to hop into a rental car and go somewhere much lower key to dive. Still figuring out where so I'm paying attention to this thread, too.

Edited by mantarraya, 04 April 2007 - 03:42 PM.

Back after a long absence - whew, too busy at work!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users