• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

The blob that's invading Puget Sound

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:35 AM

Today's Seattle Times front page news:

The blob that's invading the Sound
By Warren Cornwall

"HOOD CANAL — Like knights heading into battle, two dozen people in rubber-coated diving suits and 40-pound air tanks clanked down the gravel beach.

They each clutched weapons: windshield ice scrapers, barbecue tongs, a spatula nabbed from the kitchen.

Their hated enemy lay beneath Hood Canal's frigid waters, a creature that had scorned a previous assault, expanding its territory at a ferocious rate...."
click here for the full story and what you can do to assist.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#2 cmt489

cmt489

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:52 AM

They look like giant, transparent leeches - ICK!!

#3 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:05 PM

I had a none diving coworker point out this article to me in the local paper.
It made the front page.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#4 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:06 PM

You have them over there? I saw some small ones in Hood Canal - inch or two long. Didn't notice them off of Seattle, across on the peninsula, or in the San Juans - altho I may have over looked them? So many things to see in your water than one doesn't see elsewhere...!!

The ones I saw looked a lot like these....

Posted Image

What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#5 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:08 PM

Hate to mention it, but they are your closest relatives in the invertebrate world. I guess you don't see the "family" resemblance! Just teasing ya.

#6 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:11 PM

We have been fighting a number of Asian invaders here in SoCal... primarily algae. All a result of trans-Pacific shipping.

I've wondered how much impact our species (from SoCal or Puget Sound or any other West Coast ports) are having on those in Asian ecosystems.

#7 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:56 PM

You have them over there? I saw some small ones in Hood Canal - inch or two long. Didn't notice them off of Seattle, across on the peninsula, or in the San Juans - altho I may have over looked them? So many things to see in your water than one doesn't see elsewhere...!!

The ones I saw looked a lot like these....

Posted Image

It is likely what you saw were native tunicates. There are two native species, Corella inflata and Corella willmeriana, that are also clear tunicates. They are shorter and stubbier, with much shorter siphons, and no flecks of yellow or orange on their bodies (similar to those in your photo above). You can find an exmaple photo of our native species here.

They recommend that unless you are well versed in identifying the invasive tunicates to call, don't kill. It can be hard to tell a native tunicate from a non-native. Alert the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife at 360-902-2724. Shortly thereafter I suspect Janna will appear with cape and BBQ tongs... :unsure:

This is what the tunicates they were removing look like:

Posted Image
© Janna Nichols

For more information, including photos, regarding local PNW invasive tunicates, please check out Janna's Invasive Tunicates in Washington State web pages.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#8 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 01:26 AM

Thanks. I was diving with a couple of local DMs, and one of them said that the ones I shot were the invasive specie at Hood Canal - don't remember the name of the parking lot where we entered, but it was on Hood. I'm sure your pic is more accurate, and I doubt I could tell the difference still. I could be wrong about the size of those squirts, as I was trying to take in a lot of sights I'd never seen before.

Hehe, I also swam in to get a close pic of some other white things that happened to be an egg nest beig guarded by a very large Ling cod. One of the DMs grabbed me before I pissed her off too much. :)

Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#9 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 11:25 AM

Thanks. I was diving with a couple of local DMs, and one of them said that the ones I shot were the invasive specie at Hood Canal - don't remember the name of the parking lot where we entered, but it was on Hood. I'm sure your pic is more accurate, and I doubt I could tell the difference still. I could be wrong about the size of those squirts, as I was trying to take in a lot of sights I'd never seen before.

Hehe, I also swam in to get a close pic of some other white things that happened to be an egg nest beig guarded by a very large Ling cod. One of the DMs grabbed me before I pissed her off too much. :unsure:

That's great that you dove our waters! Do you remember who you dove with?

Interestingly the lingcod you avoided encountering in a negative way have liekly male a he. :P Males protect the egg masses, not females. We are currently dive dodging those pesky males right now - tis' the season. :D

Here's some more lingcod info:

"Starting in October, lingcod migrate to nearshore spawning grounds. The males migrate first, and establish nest sites in strong current areas in rock crevices or on ledges. Spawning takes place between December and March, and females leave the nest site immediately after depositing eggs. Males actively defend the nest from predators until the eggs hatch in early March through late April."

#10 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 12:17 PM

Hehe, I also swam in to get a close pic of some other white things that happened to be an egg nest beig guarded by a very large Ling cod. One of the DMs grabbed me before I pissed her off too much. :unsure:

That's great that you dove our waters! Do you remember who you dove with?

Interestingly the lingcod you avoided encountering in a negative way have liekly male a he. :P Males protect the egg masses, not females. We are currently dive dodging those pesky males right now - tis' the season. :D

Here's some more lingcod info:

"Starting in October, lingcod migrate to nearshore spawning grounds. The males migrate first, and establish nest sites in strong current areas in rock crevices or on ledges. Spawning takes place between December and March, and females leave the nest site immediately after depositing eggs. Males actively defend the nest from predators until the eggs hatch in early March through late April."

Kirsten & Tim that day, them & Kirk the previous day at Redondo Beach, a couple of great dudes with a private boat the third day, and a great charter out of Anacortes to the San Juans on the fourth. They were all surprised that I came up there just to dive the Sound, all great folks.

Odd but I was there the first weekend in Sept - does not fit the information given on spawning? I want to come back some winter and do it again with better vis.

#11 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 01:06 PM

Kirsten & Tim that day

ScubaK and Cpt. Bungee!! :unsure: :P

#12 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 02:54 PM

QUICK NOTE: Everyone stay tuned for upcoming info on future invasive tunicate dive days. We might be coordinating one in connection with April's Dive into Earth Week!

#13 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:03 PM

Kirsten & Tim that day

ScubaK and Cpt. Bungee!! :cool2: :-D

Yep, super nice folks. Wonderful people, serious divers but forgiving of this warm water bubble with his tiny light. :(

#14 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:43 AM

Kirsten & Tim that day

ScubaK and Cpt. Bungee!! :cheerleader: :teeth:

Two of my favorite dive buddies.
I think I have logged more dives with them than any other buddy.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#15 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 01:42 AM

Kirsten & Tim that day

ScubaK and Cpt. Bungee!! :cheerleader: :teeth:

Two of my favorite dive buddies.
I think I have logged more dives with them than any other buddy.

Super Nice folks. Loaned me a couple of 100 cf tanks, then a Mk-25 reg when I learned that y'all don't dive yoke valves there, weights - dived with me for a couple of days, which had to be a little little like tour guiding. It is different there. It was all I could do to make them let me pay for the Hood permits and lunch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users