• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

nitrox equipment

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#31 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:38 PM

Wow! :D I never would have thought that a BC wouldn't be Nitrox compatible. Glad I'm going the BP/W route. :-D

For your sake, echo3, I hope Perrone is right. :D

#32 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:59 PM

echo3, two questions for you.

1. What model of Mares BC is this? Do you have a picture?

2. How do you connect the inflation mechanism for the BC to your regulator? Does it screw on, or does it pop on and off?

#33 echo3

echo3

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:04 PM

echo3, two questions for you.

1. What model of Mares BC is this? Do you have a picture?

2. How do you connect the inflation mechanism for the BC to your regulator? Does it screw on, or does it pop on and off?

it's an '06 VECTOR ORIGIN 1000, quick disconnect inflater hose
"I'll fight it, but I won't kill it. Now, what about my dynamite?" - Steve Zissou

#34 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:11 PM

Ok,

Now I understand the issue.

Your BC is one of those with the pneumatic valves to release air from it. Nothing is going to blow up if you use nitrox with it. However, the increased oxygen percentage might cause some issues with the valves or the grease used for the valves, which is what they want to protect against.

Out of curiousity, who talked you into buying that BC??

#35 echo3

echo3

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:24 PM

one of the sales guys at the store (can't recall his name):

http://www.divers-discount.com/

nitrox wasn't an issue at the time of the sale. ( he didn't ask and I didn't know I was going to be interested in nitrox at the time )

It's a fairly simple unit and quite durable, I'm led to believe.
"I'll fight it, but I won't kill it. Now, what about my dynamite?" - Steve Zissou

#36 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:36 PM

Of all the BC's I have ever seen, this Mares unit is the only one that has ever had a nitrox warning. And it's solely because of the gimmicky valves on it. What a shame. And again, its not that you can't use it with nitrox, you certainly can. But you might see some premature wear with it.

It reminds me why I tend not to recommend Mares. One of their regulators fails consistently with basic nitrox mixes too because they went with a crappy high pressure seat.

#37 echo3

echo3

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:52 PM

well, it's only money :-D

guess I'll scratch them off my 'prefered mfg' list

is there a bcd you would recommend ? (I like the vest types)

#38 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:45 PM

So I guess there's only one outstanding issue here: Perrone, how much money you got in that wallet of yours!?!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#39 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:56 PM

is there a bcd you would recommend ? (I like the vest types)

ScubaPro Classic Air with integrated inflator if you have a wet suit. If dry, don't bother as there are no adjustments on the chest. Was my first BC and with a wet suit it is fantastic... I upgraded to a Knighthawk for my dry suit.

Edited by shadragon, 27 February 2007 - 04:57 PM.

Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#40 matts1w

matts1w

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:08 PM

one of the sales guys at the store (can't recall his name):

http://www.divers-discount.com/

nitrox wasn't an issue at the time of the sale. ( he didn't ask and I didn't know I was going to be interested in nitrox at the time )

It's a fairly simple unit and quite durable, I'm led to believe.

I am not a fan of Mares BCs, but I do like their fins....at least the Quatros...

Anyway, there is another reason you can pick up a new one of these for $170 now.... but I wouldnt be worried about using it with nitrox under 40%.

If you are completely sold on a vest BCD go look at a Scubapro Classic or a Scubapro Glide Plus. Granted they are going to cost a bit more than $170.00, but if you want to talk about a BC that has withstood the test of time and is a proven winner, these two are the way to go.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, and totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW! -- What a Ride!"

#41 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:16 PM

I know many rebreather divers who dive with a PP02 of 1.0 or maybe 1.2.

Mostly 1.0 for me (on the bottom) even if shorter exposures. Why push it unless there is a need?
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#42 echo3

echo3

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:21 PM

[...
Anyway, there is another reason you can pick up a new one of these for $170 now.... but I wouldnt be worried about using it with nitrox under 40%.

and what that might be, if I dare ask?

#43 matts1w

matts1w

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 27 February 2007 - 07:13 PM

[...

and what that might be, if I dare ask?

I just find most of the Mares BCDs to be very bulky is all. Some of them remind me of big, colorful fishing lures....more about catching fishermen than catching fish. I guess I just meant that I think a piece of gear that limits one's growth in a sport or activity to be a poor choice. One's gear should allow you to expand and grow as a diver.

However, I think much of the Mares line- especially their high end regs and fins- to be of great quality.

Edited by matts1w, 27 February 2007 - 07:18 PM.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, and totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW! -- What a Ride!"

#44 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 28 February 2007 - 06:20 AM

Ok, you and your buddy are diving on nitrox mixture with a max depth (1.6) of 120’. You are on the side of a wall with the ocean bottom at about 180’. You have a pony filled with normal compressed air.

Given your scenario once you change to the Pony you yourself no longer have an alternate air source. The pony is designed for limited use as you make an emergency ascent. It is not intended for that kind of rescue. I have a 40cf pony which is effectively half an AL 80. At 120 feet I would burn through that in a few minutes. I did a quick mental calculation and at a hard bottom of 180 feet that is a 6.45 ATA. At that depth your pony gas disappears in seconds.Then you yourself are in a position where you either have to swap to NITROX below the 1.6 PO2 level or have to do a CESA to a safe depth where you can use your mix. This while potentially dealing with a panicky buddy who himself is either out of air, convulsing from O2 toxicity or near drowning at this point assuming his original buoyancy issue has resolved itself. Depending on their time spent at depth they may also be in need of deco at that point.

If they did not dump weights or otherwise correct their buoyancy problem then there is little you can do without putting yourself at risk.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#45 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 06:40 AM

Shadragon, you've misread his question. He did not ask if you could go to 180 to get them. He asked if you could go to 130 to get them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users