• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Missing Divers

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 EbonyMermaid

EbonyMermaid

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:15

Posted 27 June 2004 - 04:00 AM

:dltears: I was talking to a friend about diving in Honduras in September, and she started to tell me she heard about some divers in Porto Rico that have gone missing. Has anyone heard this story or something like it recently?

#2 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 27 June 2004 - 05:21 AM

EM
I havnt heard anything about that BUT! I hear there's a movie out there that they left some diver out in the ocean somewhere SCARY :-D

B2B
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#3 webhead

webhead

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Cert Level:CCR Air Instructor/ Full Trimix CCR Diver
  • Logged Dives:Stopped counting after 500

Posted 27 June 2004 - 08:32 AM

There is a movie coming out about a couple, diving the barrier reef in Australia that were left behind by the dive boat. I've not seen it but have seen a trailer. From other sources, I've heard that the story is based on real events but since the couple in real life did not make it home to tell their story, how much of what happened in the water can be factual.

But the movie is stirring some emotions among divers and boat operators alike. While I think uncommon, there are some stories of a boat driving off or divers getting on the wrong boat (not as bad in my opinion).

Roll calls on boats were started to safe lives. Insist on them and give your attention when they are being called. More boats are likely to use them properly when everyone shows a similar desire to be safe.
"These are not the droids you are looking for.... move along" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

#4 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 27 June 2004 - 08:38 AM

:dltears: I was talking to a friend about diving in Honduras in September, and she started to tell me she heard about some divers in Porto Rico that have gone missing. Has anyone heard this story or something like it recently?

EM, I don't know about Puerto Rico, but a couple of years ago in Austrialia, a dive boat left an American couple behind some 20-25 miles off the coast. The operator did not notice it until the next day when they found the couple's dive bags still on the boat. Last I heard, the couple was never found. As mentioned, there is a movie about this and that is the story it is based on.
-Mitch-

#5 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 27 June 2004 - 08:44 AM

If my memory is correct, the incident in Australia happened around 2000. The situation was created because the dive boat in question used a simple head count instead of a real roll call or sign in. Apparently two divers who had already exited the water dove back in off the bow and were counted twice when they exited again. Thus the lost divers were left behind.

I know when I was in Australia in 2001 there was a sign in checklist rather than just a head count. More recently a diver was left behind in soCal because someone else (his buddies reportedy) answered for him when his name was called. He wasn't noted missing until after the next dive at another site. Fortunately he was picked up in a thick fog by a Boy Scout group on another vessel.

This is why check ins are tending towards an actual sign in with the divers (or the staff) recording their return by writing their name or initials on a check list. No more simple head counts.

Doc

#6 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 27 June 2004 - 09:47 AM

Actually the couple went missing in 1998 and there are lots of rumors about whether it was a murder-suicide or a hoax to fake their death. Most people believe they are dead but the circumstance are still not totally known. See this story for more details. missing couple

Either way though it did start the sign-in after each dive so something good came from it. Of course what would prevent your buddy from signing in for you.

Edited by chinacat46, 27 June 2004 - 09:49 AM.

#7 JulioJoglar

JulioJoglar

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 27 June 2004 - 09:56 AM

It was'nt me! I'm here. :unsure:

#8 webhead

webhead

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Cert Level:CCR Air Instructor/ Full Trimix CCR Diver
  • Logged Dives:Stopped counting after 500

Posted 27 June 2004 - 09:59 AM

So does the sign in prevent someone from signing for you or is it a CYA approach. If you go before a jury and show a list of names and signatures, you could show that you did your diligence and therfore not be responsible.

Another reason to be very friendly on a dive boat.... if everyone gets a chance to meet you and talk to you, they might notice you're missing on the way home.
"These are not the droids you are looking for.... move along" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

#9 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 27 June 2004 - 10:09 AM

we had a long thread about that movie a while back (who knows where...walter will find it)...

scary concept.

if they can implant microchips in pets to find them, why not people??? and i'm not even kidding! think of all the lost kids they could find.

wonder if my vet would be willing......
nah. she thinks i'm nuts already.

#10 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 10:51 AM

When I'm diving on a dive boat (other than the local boats), I always do so with a known buddy. That way I know they will speak up for me if I'm "lost at sea."

When diving the local boats, they already know me so I figure I'm pretty safe... or could always swim to shore if not.

Doc

#11 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 27 June 2004 - 11:30 AM

who could POSSIBLY leave YOU behind, doc??? :wub:

#12 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 27 June 2004 - 11:31 AM

The sign in and out is not a good concept. People get in the water without remembering to sign out. A roll call where you answer for yourself only and the person conducting the roll call eyeballs everyone as they answer is the only sure way to bring back everyone.

When I dive, I like to make friends with a buddy team with whom I'm not diving. I tell them I'll make sure to look for them after the dive and not let the boat leave without them and I'd like the same in return.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#13 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 07:36 PM

Walter- the sign in/sign out sheets I'm familia with involve a dive boat staff member personally holding the list and asking each diver to sign in as soon as they come up from the stern. They have visual contact with each (and most of the boats I'm on learn their day's divers quickly). I agree that an untended list would certainly be an invitation to more disasters.

Doc

#14 kevininpo

kevininpo

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 02:13 AM

http://www.apple.com...ate/open_water/ this is what your looking for
if it ain't broke, fix it till it is
what if the hokey pokey really IS what it's all about?

#15 maninthesea

maninthesea

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Cert Level:Trimix and Rebreather also Padi Inst and TDI Inst Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Quit that long ago-Nothing left to prove

Posted 28 June 2004 - 03:12 AM

Other than Triggerfish's chips I dont think there is a foolproof method of ensuring everyone is on board. Having a crew that fully understands the importance is the key.

Last year I had the pleasure of diveing the Spiegle Grove with Capt Slate out of Key Largo. Aparently one of the operators there left two divers at the dive site and did not even realise it after they got back to the dock. They even left messages on the divers answering machines telling them they would be charged for the rental gear they failed to return (becuase they were wearing it still!)

The incedent in Australia was a bit of a wakeup call for a lot of operations. In Austrailia it resulted in laws to prevent divers left behind in Australia.
Here in Guam there has been a few incedences of divers left behind. One charter boat managed to leave the XO of the local Coast Guard and his girlfriend behind. All came out well in the end but rest assured they caught hell about it. on our boats in Guam we get everyones name and signiture before we leave the dock. Then each diver is ticked off as they board the boat. We used to use a head count method until we almost left a diver behind during a coral replanting trip where we had two boats at the same site all filled with dive club members. One diver was still in the water and another diver had informed his boat captian he wanted to ride back on the big boat. So the big boat had the correct # of divers without knowing they had a diver from the other boat. Luckily someone missed the diver and in the time spent looking for him he surfaced.
I reitirate having a crew that is on top of things is essential.
Cheers Jim
Tip of the day- Never suck on a loaded gun!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users