• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Missing Divers

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#31 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 28 June 2004 - 07:51 AM

Fortunately there is a foolproof way to make sure that everyone is on the boat. That is physical sign ins and sign outs by the divemaster and only the divemaster as well as multiple roll calls to ONLY be answered by the person being called while ensuring that a visual is made by the DM on the boat as well. This is SOP on our trips to NC...the only exception to answering for myself was during my puking days where I'd be up on the bow blowing over the side trying to prevent sympathy blows but too sick to answer roll call. However since I was visually checked in the water and visually checked out of the water when I could not answer...they went looking for me to find out why. That is when they'd discover I was just seasick.

In fact the DM's on this boat also keep track of you by name and who your dive buddy is. Case in point....I broke the cardinal rule of staying in physical contact with the descent/ascent line to the wreck as there were 3 divers coming up and I was going down so I dropped off the line to drop below then fully intending to get back on the line just under them. I did not realize we had some current so I found it difficult to get to the line. No problem I thought...I would drop a bit lower and swim forward towards the line and there'd be no problem. However the current was running top to bottom that day...very unusual and so by the time I got to the bottom and swam towards the boat...even with over 100ft of vis that day...I could not see the sub. So I started to go back up slowly still swimming into the current to hopefully prevent me from being too far away from the boat when I surfaced.

I did about a minute safety stop as my time in the water had been extremely limited but while doing it I shot my lift bag to the surface to hopefully alert the boat where I was. By the time I surfaced I was very far from the boat and drifting further away. I immediately inflated a VERY LONG safety sausage...about 8ft in addition to my bright yellow 75 pound lift bag! I wanted to be seen...and as long as I could see the boat I knew they could or would see me.

Besides...earlier in the week a diver had lost their camera and my boat capt vectored back to that camera within about 3 ft. Any more accurate and he would have run it over!!! I had also watched him vector back with currents to his speargun when it had gone over board hours earlier so I knew he'd find me. All I had to do was stay calm knowing that they would have to get divers up first...then pull anchor and then they'd come and find me. Fortunately I was one of the last divers so I knew the process would be awhile but not hours.

But back to the story...so my dive buddy actually was a really good buddy that day and although we don't always stay glued to one another we will ensure that we both are at the bottom together and go from there. Since he never saw me make it to the bottom and he knew the current was strong...he figured I got off the line and had a problem. He snooped around on what was his favorite wreck for a few minutes more and then realized that I was still not showing up so he started to go back up looking for me on the line hoping I was just having clearing problems or had gotten back on the boat. He had planned to drop back down once he knew I was safe...however when he surfaced and yelled if I was on the boat he knew there was a problem as I was not. Everyone immediately began looking for me at sea. About the same time they started looking, my lift bag hit the surface and shortly thereafter I did. I thought I saw them all at the back of the boat waving to me to try and signal me...(now he has a flare gun to signal when they have spotted you!) so I was confident it would only be some time before I was found. They later told me they saw the bright yellow of the lift bag and then when the sausage popped up...they said it was the only time they were thankful for things being BIGGER in Texas!!! LOL!!!

And yes I had a fairly long wait...I decided to keep swimming towards the boat to keep it in sight..more for my sanity then anything else because I knew if he could find a camera in water several hours after it was lost with current...he'd certainly find me.

So even if my dive buddy would not have responded properly...I know that I still would have been found due to the tight procedures followed on the boat regarding divers in and out and roll calls. (I also like the way that the DM's explain this to divers so that they ALSO know that safety is of utmost importance on the boat!) The trick was to stay calm...keep my wits and just relax knowing the safety procudures on the boat were more then sufficient to keep me safe. Now mind no man eating eels came after me...nor did any sharks...heck I couldn't even get the barracuda to play with me to keep me company while I was waiting! :teeth:

What would I have done differently? Aside from NEVER getting off the line again...if I did for some reason and could not get back to it immediately...then I would surface immediately knowing that I would still come within 200 yds of the boat and well within the safety rope lengths and therefore could have been pulled in and attempted the dive again!

Ah the beauty of diving...that which doesn't kill us makes us better divers!!! :lmao:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#32 maninthesea

maninthesea

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Cert Level:Trimix and Rebreather also Padi Inst and TDI Inst Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Quit that long ago-Nothing left to prove

Posted 28 June 2004 - 07:52 AM

If your friend has a harness and wing setup I could recomend zipping the chem lights into the shell that protects the inner bladder of the wing. I keep a mouthpiece, finstrap and a couple of zip ties in their also.
Tip of the day- Never suck on a loaded gun!

#33 ddierolf

ddierolf

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Cert Level:Padi Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 28 June 2004 - 07:59 AM

Yap Divers and Neco Marine are both good companies. Tell him to be sure to do a night dive in Yap looking for Mandering fish and In Palau tell him to get Bert Yates to take him to the Bouy # 6 wreck for a night dive. It may be additional to the trip but it is spectacular.

Will Do!! Thanks again for the info!

Dennis

Which end is up?

#34 glendivesalot

glendivesalot

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Cert Level:Expert
  • Logged Dives:700+

Posted 28 June 2004 - 08:03 AM

Ditto on Buoy No. 6. I dove with a Spanish Dancer there. Only one I have ever seen while diving.

#35 maninthesea

maninthesea

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 08:09 AM

Ditto on Buoy No. 6. I dove with a Spanish Dancer there. Only one I have ever seen while diving.

come night dive with me in Guam I'll show you spanish dancers and more. There are also some Chinese an Philipino dancers if your into that.
Cheers Jim

#36 glendivesalot

glendivesalot

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Cert Level:Expert
  • Logged Dives:700+

Posted 28 June 2004 - 08:14 AM

I had layovers in Guam both directions, but not long enough to dive. Next time, I am going to allow a few days in Guam to dive. Yap too.

#37 maninthesea

maninthesea

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 08:24 AM

Kewl
Then I can verify if you guys on this site are more than two dimensional
:-)
Jim ><)))'>

#38 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 09:01 AM

Kewl
Then I can verify if you guys on this site are more than two dimensional
:-)
Jim ><)))'>

Hey just come join us on ANY trip and you'll soon see we are certainly MULTI-Dimensional....and some of us...even have multi-personalities!!!

Do not! :-D

Do too! :2cool:

Do not! :teeth:

Do too..... :lmao:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#39 canuckdiver

canuckdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Cert Level:Decompression procedures
  • Logged Dives:>120

Posted 28 June 2004 - 09:06 AM

Hey just come join us on ANY trip and you'll soon see we are certainly MULTI-Dimensional....and some of us...even have multi-personalities!!!

Do not! :-D

Do too! :2cool:

Do not! :teeth:

Do too..... :lmao:

Hey! K, stop talking about TF like that!!!!

:P
"what works, works" - shek exley

"the WW Approved 'Unofficial' guardian angel"

#40 ddierolf

ddierolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 09:57 AM

Do not!  :-D

Do too!  :2cool:

Do not!  :teeth:

Do too.....  :lmao:

Hey! K, stop talking about TF like that!!!!

:P

Yes she (TF) is not here to defend themsleves!!! :P :P :P

Which end is up?

#41 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 28 June 2004 - 11:00 AM

we heard that...

#42 ddierolf

ddierolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 11:19 AM

we heard that...

I never though of this till now, Your closet must be HUGE!!!!!!! :P :P :P

Which end is up?

#43 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 28 June 2004 - 12:47 PM

not too bad...we all wear the same size...well, everybody except magda.
shi is beeg voo-man. :P

#44 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 01:44 PM

Just for the record...I was NOT talking about TF...however she is welcome to join in!

No she's not! :D

Yes she is! :fish:

I said NO!!! :o

Well I SAID YES!!! YES!!! YES!!!! :taz: :taz: :taz:

formerly...

#45 ddierolf

ddierolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 06:38 PM

Just for the record...I was NOT talking about TF...however she is welcome to join in!

No she's not! :thankyou:

Yes she is! :wakawaka:

I said NO!!! :o

Well I SAID YES!!! YES!!! YES!!!! :teeth: :hiya: :P

Ohhh Noooo, we have more then One (Several) Persons??????????? :-D :-D :-D

:P :P :P

Which end is up?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users