• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

What goes inside a SCUBA Shaker???

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 12 March 2007 - 09:20 AM

:wakawaka:

One of my DIY projects is to make a SCUBA shaker like one I saw a DM use in the Red Sea. Yeah, I know I can buy them, but it is a fairly simple thing and I need something to keep me occupied. :cool2:

My first attempt was made out of galvanized steel pipe with ball bearings inside. It looked great and sounded great on the surface, but was barely audible underwater. I suspect it was the plastic coating I put on it which is absorbing the sound. Picture here:

Posted Image

So it is time for the Mark II design. I will be basing this next version on an aluminum or stainless steel pipe with some sort of rubber covered end tips for watertight integrity with the metal in-between exposed for maximum metal contact with the water. However, what do I use for filler? Ball bearings? Lead shot? Hex nuts? I have no idea what should go inside although I am leaning towards hex nuts this time because of their irregular shape...

Anyone want to take a ball peen hammer or hack saw to their commercial one and tell me what is in there??? :angel2:

Seriously though, my first stop will be to go to the local scrap yard to see if I can find some aluminum or stainless steel pipe. I think it will be just as easy to make 3-4 once I get the design sorted. So if anyone gives me some solid assistance they ~may~ get their very own custom fabricated hand held, air cooled "Sha-Shaker" Mark II (Copyright 2007, All Rights Reserved) as thanks... It will come with a full lifetime warranty* and bring with it resulting bragging rights.**

* - Warranty void if Sha-Shaker comes in contact with water...
** - Not responsible for any incidental feminine fainting when they learn this item was once in Shadragon's own hand.

Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#2 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 12 March 2007 - 09:44 AM

the one I have was found on a dive trip and at one point had been painted black. It looks like the material is copper so I wonder if the end caps were soldered on?

it sounds like there are 2 or 3 round metal objects rolling around inside. Both the end caps are 3 1/8th around...the body is a little smaller than that...and is 2 1/5 inches long

let me know if you need any other measurements! And I don't think anyone but my buddy and I can hear it underwater...Still, it makes it alot easier to get the buddy's attention when I see something cool :wakawaka:

#3 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 10:59 AM

Please don't do this. It's a bad solution to a fixable problem.

#4 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:01 AM

OK,

so what's a better solution?

#5 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:02 AM

Don't do what exactly?
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#6 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:14 AM

I could be wrong, but I believe what he's saying is you and your buddies should be paying enough attention to each other that you should never need a noise maker.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#7 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:20 AM

Bingo Walter.

#8 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:24 AM

I could be wrong, but I believe what he's saying is you and your buddies should be paying enough attention to each other that you should never need a noise maker.

I use a noisemaker to get my buddies attention to show him or her stuff I see...just because we are diving together does not mean they are looking at exactly what I am at all times and vice versa

#9 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:25 AM

Bingo Walter.

I hear what you are saying and on a one-on-one buddy situation I agree 100%. However, as I go into DM training I may need to get several students attention without going over and tap them each on the shoulder. In some situations you need to get peoples attention now, not 5 seconds from now.

Shadragon's First Law of Diving: Better to have something and not use it than need it and not have it...

Edited by shadragon, 12 March 2007 - 11:33 AM.

Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#10 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:29 AM

Perrone has obviously never dove with a photographer and the bigger the camera the less attention they pay to their buddy!
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#11 Moose

Moose

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Cert Level:Numerous
  • Logged Dives:Fg = (m x D) m10^-2

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:36 AM

Seriously though, my first stop will be to go to the local scrap yard to see if I can find some aluminum or stainless steel pipe. I think it will be just as easy to make 3-4 once I get the design sorted. So if anyone gives me some solid assistance they ~may~ get their very own custom fabricated hand held, air cooled "Sha-Shaker" Mark II (Copyright 2007, All Rights Reserved) as thanks... It will come with a full lifetime warranty* and bring with it resulting bragging rights.**
[/color]

If you want, I was thinking about making one of these as well. I'm glad I read this as I know that I need to do some testing. If you want to come up to the "Garage M'hal" one day, we could do a bunch of test trails.

First, we can do bench testing with a large container (re<hot tub>), then we can move onto the ponds outside.

I was just making some ice diving tools this weekend that I'm iching to try before the ice melts!
Moose
Everything I know about knots, I learned from Alexander the Great.

#12 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:39 AM

Perrone has obviously never dove with a photographer and the bigger the camera the less attention they pay to their buddy!

Where do you think those underwater photos of me come from?

#13 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:43 AM

I use a noisemaker to get my buddies attention to show him or her stuff I see...just because we are diving together does not mean they are looking at exactly what I am at all times and vice versa

Ok, I usually just touch my partner on the elbow or shoulder and point if I want them to see something. Usually, I am content to look at what I want, and let them look at what they want. Sometimes they aren't all that interested in what I am looking at, and vice versa.

#14 Moose

Moose

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Cert Level:Numerous
  • Logged Dives:Fg = (m x D) m10^-2

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:56 AM

While I can appreciate what you guys are saying (and it is 100% true and correct), there are times while diving in a non-recreational setting that teams of divers need to work together. Noise makers are very handy for this.

For example, when doing body recoveries, we may have to coordinate 6 people to bag and lift a single body. If there is a police investigation (foul play suspected) we may even have more than that*.

So, put 6 people in an area, all need to work together, also they all need to do their individual jobs and you can get into situations were something like this can be very handy. Note, we are also working in zero visibility much of the time. So a noise can be the only way to communicate effectively.

*= In case you want the breakdown, 2 people will swim the bag in place, 2 people will manipulate the body into the bag and zip it. 2 people have the lift bags and connect and lift the bag. If police are involved, we may have still and video photographers as well.
Moose
Everything I know about knots, I learned from Alexander the Great.

#15 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 12:04 PM

Moose,

My instructor founded the underwater crime scene investigation program at FSU. He's done this kind of work with everyone from sheriff's offices to the FBI. And I've never seen him or anyone on his team carry a noisemaker.

Probably like most things, there are different ways to accomplish the same goals.

In terms of team diving, it is a hallmark of my chosen dive agency, and I think you know that. They coordinate some 22 people in the water at once (good visibility usually) with nary a noisemaker in the group. Again, different techniques.

In my own diving, I have dealt with corraling a team of five divers in a 3+2 scenario in several caves in N. FL. Not easy, but doable. What I find is if you listen you can hear each other breathe quite well. That is, unless we are on rebreathers. :wakawaka:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users