• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Need a buddy for June 2007 trip to Indonesia

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 secretsea18

secretsea18

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 14 March 2007 - 05:45 AM

I will be diving on Adventure H2O liveaboard in June 26-July 9 on the Far North Sulawesi itinerary. I hope someone else might want to join me. This special itinerary starts and ends in Manado, Sulawesi (easy to reach from Singapore). All of the diving will be in areas NOT accessible from the wonderful land based resorts of Lembeh or Bunaken, and require a liveaboard. There will be plenty of rarely dived sites, so the marine life should be tremendous. Larry Smith, critter finder extraordinaire, will be leading the trip and he pioneered diving in this region, and is the "original muck diver" in Lembeh.

There is still space on the Adventure H2O liveaboard (great design, comfortable, and with gourmet food, including free wine and beer) to anyone who might want to experience this rarely dived region in Indonesia. Another SD recently went on the boat, and you can read that trip report if you want more info about it. I have been on the boat before and they have a great setup, especially for photographers and videographers. I just need a buddy! :birthday:

No I don't have any financial ties to the boat or anything like that. Just wanted to share this great opportunity with other fun divers.

Robin

#2 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:35 AM

Awwww.... come on everyone, you know you want to go diving.....

I still need a buddy for this trip. I know the itinerary will be awesome!

#3 Guest_Sea Urchin_*

Guest_Sea Urchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:54 AM

:P :tears: I really want to....no passport :banghead:

Que

#4 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:21 PM

:P :tears: I really want to....no passport :banghead:

Que

There is still time for the passport... plus you can get one in just one day if you go to the Federal Building Passport office within two weeks of an international trip. :)

Larry Smith is so psyched about this trip, it is in his old stomping grounds when he ran the Cehili ... plus they are going to get some special guides for the region ...

Did I mention the gourmet food, free wine and beer and soft drinks???

#5 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:07 PM

Robin,

Don't know if you have heard the sad news but Larry Smith has passed away. Larry was an incredible character and his death will surely touch all those who have ever met him. My condolences to his family.

Larry pretty much put Lembeh Strait on the map and I'm sure all the folks there are hurting by this news. I only got to meet him last month and I'm bummed out. What a sad day for the diving community. We will miss you Larry.

- Chuck

#6 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:51 PM

Robin,

Don't know if you have heard the sad news but Larry Smith has passed away. Larry was an incredible character and his death will surely touch all those who have ever met him. My condolences to his family.

Larry pretty much put Lembeh Strait on the map and I'm sure all the folks there are hurting by this news. I only got to meet him last month and I'm bummed out. What a sad day for the diving community. We will miss you Larry.

- Chuck

That's really sad news-did something happen??

My condolences to the family and friends!! :P
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#7 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:31 PM

You can read about it by clicking HERE.

Sometimes your lifetime warranty just runs out.

PlatypusMan

#8 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:29 PM

Yes, Unfortunately it is true that Larry Smith is no longer with us. Larry and I have been friends for 5-6 years when we met on a trip to Komodo.

It was a sad day on tuesday when I learned of his passing away from his son, Casey. He appears to have suffered a heart attach, but without the usual symptoms, and it was thought that he may have had pneumonia. He has been flighted back to Bali and is survived by his wife, Dewi, and Breezy his 9 year old daughter, and three grown American sons, and one grandson.

Larry had an enthusiasm for diving that was unparalleled and he was able to make each dive special. I read that "Larry should have been born a fish, but he was born a boy in East Texas". That statement is totally correct, as Larry loved the underwater environment and introducing people to that wonderful world. The entire diving world has suffered such a loss.

I was reluctant to post a message the passing of my friend Larry, as it was really difficult to reduce into a few words how much he will be missed by his family and very extensive family of worldwide friends. Larry had a few things that were his trademarks:

1. Don't do anything stupid!
2. Just follow the big yellow fins!

I figure that the gates of diving heaven are marked by "big yellow fins"...... with Larry beaconing to join us with him in diving heaven...

Robin :unsure:

Edited by secretsea18, 22 March 2007 - 09:05 PM.

#9 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 23 March 2007 - 06:38 AM

You can read about it by clicking HERE.

Sometimes your lifetime warranty just runs out.

PlatypusMan

Wow!!

Thanks Platy for the link!!!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#10 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:13 AM

Robin,

What is going on with your trip. I've heard rumors the boat is shut down since Larry's passing and the owner owes employees and customers money.

- Chuck

#11 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:29 AM

Robin,

What is going on with your trip. I've heard rumors the boat is shut down since Larry's passing and the owner owes employees and customers money.

- Chuck

Yep, boat went out of business. My refund is on the way, should be here this week. I know Steve from a prior trip, where we were dive buddies. :evilgrin: There apparently were many issues, and a delay in getting communication to booked parties and their refunds, but folks are getting them this week.

Despite that, I am still going to Indonesia. Just changed venue from liveaboard to another world class dive location, Lembeh Straits. I am staying at Lembeh Resort, and didn't even need to change flights, as boat was leaving from there anyway. Although I am disappointed to not go on the itinerary I planned out with Larry Smith almost a year ago, I am not disappointed to "have" to dive at Lembeh. It is one of my favorite places in the world to dive and shoot. :evilgrin:

#12 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:01 AM

Yeah Lembeh Strait is great and I really enjoyed staying at Lembeh Resort. I stayed in bungalow #5 great view from the front porch. I know you will have an awesome time. I met Steve at a dive shop in Boulder before I was on the boat. He and Larry were both in town to help sell the trip out. Needless to say it was a sold out trip. Say hi to all the critters for me.

#13 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:53 PM

Yeah Lembeh Strait is great and I really enjoyed staying at Lembeh Resort. I stayed in bungalow #5 great view from the front porch. I know you will have an awesome time. I met Steve at a dive shop in Boulder before I was on the boat. He and Larry were both in town to help sell the trip out. Needless to say it was a sold out trip. Say hi to all the critters for me.

I stayed at KBR last time in Lembeh Strait... and loved it. Trying out a different resort, as Kasawari is full when I will be there. I pity the poor dive guides.
[attachment=3856:attachment] They will be worn out from all the diving when I'm there... :cool1:

#14 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 06:03 PM

I stayed at KBR last time in Lembeh Strait... and loved it. Trying out a different resort, as Kasawari is full when I will be there. I pity the poor dive guides.
[attachment=3856:attachment] They will be worn out from all the diving when I'm there... :cheerleader:

Try to get Abner or Ronald as your dive guides both are excellent at finding stuff.

#15 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:56 PM

[attachment=3856:attachment] They will be worn out from all the diving when I'm there... :cool1:

Try to get Abner or Ronald as your dive guides both are excellent at finding stuff.

thanks for the advice. As I will be there diving for two weeks, most likely will be diving with ALL the guides! Will keep my eye out for Abner and Ronald... :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users